Seriously?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Sed-me profile image79
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

I don't think I've ever posted in this forum... mostly 'cause I could care less about the topic. But, (Hey! Are you listening to me or looking at the pic?!) I noticed this post and had to share it. What do you  think about Calvin Klein's first plus size model? They say she is a size 10, but reports put her at a size 8. Any thoughts on this?

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11972949.jpg

2. Aime F profile image71
    Aime Fposted 9 years ago

I think that says something pretty awful about how people view a woman's body. I really don't get it. What is "plus" sized about this woman? Why can't we just call her a model without the insinuation that she's larger than a model should be? Shouldn't women who model clothing only be considered plus size if they're modelling bigger clothing? This girl is probably wearing a size medium underwear and I don't want to live in a world where size 8-10 is labelled "plus size". I don't think any model smaller than a 14 has any business being called a plus size model since she's not wearing plus size clothing.

Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I dont know Aime, I can't see her ribs... or her blood vessels. I think you should be able to see at least one lymph node to be considered a "real" model.

1. RockyMountainMom profile image67
        RockyMountainMomposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That might be your screen---I can see ribs on my laptop.  She is lovely and well proportioned, but not plus sized in the least, in my opinion.

As to lymph nodes, at that BMI, if her under-arm lymph node were at all enlarged, it would show.

This is very interesting, because I lost over 50 pounds due to illness and got a lot of compliments.  My size still changes too frequently to have consistently fitting clothes.  I was a fairly active person and at some points very fit before my illness, but she still looks more like my post illness body proportions than my pre-illness proportions.  Which is not to say she looks ill or bad in any way, just not plus size (or even post baby pretty well rounded healthy person relatable).

It is interesting that they are promoting this as fitting a demographic that I don't think will relate very highly with this image, making me wonder if this was intended to cause a stir instead?

2. RockyMountainMom profile image67

Well said

3. Dale Hyde profile image80
    Dale Hydeposted 9 years ago

This mentioned and pictured model sort of fits the same as those ten models on the link below.

http://www.askmen.com/top_10/celebrity/ … odels.html

I am thinking that plus-size does not mean like overweight, but what we would say as "healthy" or "big boned" and I also would think that many of the WWE (wrestlers) Divas would fit this tag.

I don't see this girl as "big boned"... I see her as healthy and perfectly proportioned.

1. Dale Hyde profile image80
        Dale Hydeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I certainly feel she may be tall for sure looking at the bone structure.  Taller than what is considered "average" for women.

You don't see a lot of short models. Maybe someday that will change too.

Sorry if too much info, but logistically speaking: with shorter women, their boobs are too close to their waistline, which makes most clothing not fit as flatteringly.  If they started making more flattering clothing for shorter women, they could start using more models because the clothes would be more flattering on them, and in real life.  It is very hard to be short, have an average or large-ish bra size, and still look slim in most clothing, even if you are slim.

Fashion is certainly not usually a topic of interest for me, either, but this thread is interesting.

This proportion issue is also why I see what was meant by the big-boned comment earlier----she has a more average, non-tiny body structure, making the 8 versus 10 issue interesting.....because it's a matter of proportion rather than the number there as well...Even if she's a size ten, her proportions look more like an 8 or a 6 would on someone my height and build, is the sense i get from the photo....

Who are we trying to impress? Women are taught to hate ourselves no matter what our size, men don't want to see pics with our clothes on anyway... so what's the point? Why don't we just retire all the models and give them a job at Burger King. That way, they can finally eat and we can all start liking ourselves.

indeed!

2. RockyMountainMom profile image67

This is what was so sad about all the compliments I got after losing weight, because they all came from people who knew how sick I was.  It's not that they didn't mean well, it's just that to them it was this huge bright side, and some even said, "I want Lyme disease, too!"  That, to me, is incredibly sad.  I would trade the fifty pounds for my health and career back in a heart beat, and hiking and skiing with my kids----but some folks I think really would take Lyme to lose the weight.  No one with the actual illness would though, not in a million years.

I even have gotten animosity from strangers a couple of times, up to and including, "I hate skinny b****s, they make me sick".  So ironic to be desperately trying to put on weight and stay healthy enough to be out of bed at all, and have someone feel OK about a comment like that.  Another Lyme patient I know had a stranger come up to her at a sporting event and say, "I'm sure you think that looks good, but let me tell you, it's disgusting."    It really is sad that in either direction, we can't win....

4. RockyMountainMom profile image67
    RockyMountainMomposted 9 years ago

The ask men article is really interesting, but a good example of a completely horrible mobile experience (as a side note).  I couldn't take it....i'll have to try again on my laptop later.

Really is a shame when a site massacres their own content like that.

5. RockyMountainMom profile image67
    RockyMountainMomposted 9 years ago

Actually, I am currently a size 4 (because of my illness) and am proportionally shaped very much like her right now.  Which makes the plus size distinction all the more fascinating.  In fact, some of my size four clothes are too small, yet she looks even slimmer than me. 

I am currently smaller than I was in high school and weigh less than I did when I was on an elite firefighting crew that required extremely high fitness standards (at a time when few women were on those crews).  Yet I look a little bit rounder than a "plus size model".  That is pretty interesting.

6. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 9 years ago

If that is "plus size" My 128 lbs must be morbidly obese!

7. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 9 years ago

It's heavily photoshopped like any other photo of a 'standard' model in a magazine.  In real life she's more 'plus' than what the picture shows. Photo editors almost always smooth out leg and arm ripples, erase a wide margin of the arms/legs/stomach, narrow the neck, airbrush the skin, and do a face lift for good measure.  You're never looking at the real thing.   

Models often complain that they have been photoshopped too much and that the published pictures look nothing like them. The retouched versions make even the models feel bad about their bodies. Here's a recent example.
    http://instagram.com/p/rtip0vhl5r/

Her face looks too big for her body in the retouched one.

8. Jo Harley profile image60
    Jo Harleyposted 9 years ago

I hadn't noticed she was plus size. If they're going to go plus size she should look like it. Jus' sayin
    The brand is fine and dandy but I can't wear it because I'm ACTUALLY plus size...
    I don't have problem with me ... I just don't understand why they advertise people as plus size when they're obviously not. I mean ... seriously?

Amen, Jo. smile

9. profile image51
    eileenstevensposted 9 years ago

I think this model is not plus sized and has a perfect figure, but there are others out there who are actually plus size models and are doing well in their career displaying the various plus size fashion trends today.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)