Writer’s Block: Is there Quick Fix

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Jacqueline4390 profile image82
    Jacqueline4390posted 9 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11989449.jpg I will admit that when it comes down to thinking up ideas; it happens most when I am driving in my car or just before dozing off. But when I need to complete two novels that I have been working on—my well seems to be running dry. I don’t know if it’s my focus is only short term or I’ve got too much on my mind. I miss my best buddy who used to “prod me” and get me going.

So, what do I need to do to get back on track?

Jacqueline4390posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh, by the way ... I am GREAT at asking questions :-)

1. profile image0
        missiruppposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I always get a boost when I talk to other writers. They understand when I'm not sure where to take my writing and usually give me a suggestion in another direction. I also enjoy learning about their writing processes and ideas.

That sounds great ... I need to find me a group of writer that don't mind a virtual "tag along," I miss my old writing groups on Eons. We have great fun!

2. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I find researching and writing about something completely different works for me.  My mind is still mulling over the piece that I'm stuck on while I work on something else, then POOF!  The dam breaks and I'm off and running on the piece that I was stuck on.  Be patient with yourself.  You may have been pushing too hard and need a week or two off to do other things.

Thanks, I really appreciate that insight. I think I have been pushing myself a bit too hard lately. I have so much I want to write until my head wants to explode. Then I sit down in front of the computer and all of a sudden I feel so tired and blank.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

Skydiving might clear the mind... big_smile

I don't think that would work for me :-)

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Maybe something else that causes a person's thoughts to scatter into the winds and causes one to live in the immediate now for awhile; bungee jumping, roller coaster ride, or some such. smile

Something physical as a diversion, you think? I have been spending too much time in front of the computers!

3. ChristinS profile image40
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

freewriting and mind mapping work for me.  Write whatever is on your mind - even if it's about not knowing what to write.  set a timer and write non-stop for the specified time and you will find ideas start flowing.  Another idea is to just come up with a broad topic then mind map it - that will help you break it down into narrower subjects better suited for hubs etc.

Thanks, that is another good idea!

4. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

I don't carry one of those little hand recorders that people use to make notes to themselves.  I don't always have a pad near my coffee table, but have one on my desk.  I freewrite as well. When I read various articles, I may get an idea or two, maybe I find something that was not covered in the article, or a light bulb goes off because the article I read reminds me of something even though it has nothing to do with what I read.  If I kept a pad on my coffee table, commercials are great for ideas, as well as what a TV show may be about.

Commercials ... Now that is a thought.

5. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

Novels are always easier to start than to finish, for me at least.  If I have the plot planned out it is just a matter of BISFIK (bum on seat, fingers on keyboard).

1. Lionrhod profile image79
      Lionrhodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with this. I've got a few dozen novels in progress. Eventually I'm working on them, but it takes time, concentration and sticking to it.

I don't really get writer's block. If anything, I have a surplus of ideas and the biggest challenge is what to work on first.

I usually find that I get a boost from reading writer's magazines (such as The Writer and Writer's Digest) or books about writing.

6. profile image52
    derekchristieposted 9 years ago

Before i put pen to paper,i know the ending and tend to work backwards(so to speak),thus the beginning and the middle are the the most difficult as many here know well,to intrigue and draw interest throughout the novel,smoking a pipe and numerous  cups of tea i find aids the concentration,preventing that dreaded "full stop"...In your case i think the pipe smoking could be "out of bounds".....Good Luck.

How right you are, the pipe smoking is definitely "out of bounds." But I understand what you mean. I rarely have a block. At least it has been years actually, so this is why I am having a bit of a time with it. But a lot of things have been on my mind lately and I am having a very hard time shaking it. Rather personal issues. But I really need to write because once I get started "its a go."

1. profile image52
        derekchristieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The constraints of "life"issues in general are what restricts our resolve to commitment,if it were not so,we would be rebotic,devoid of feeling...My Father knew Brendan Behen well,competent enough to ask him,"Why do you drink so much" he replied,"It eases off the pain a bit and levels out the thinking". Behen whose personal life with friends,family and intimates played out with all the ingredients of a Greek Tragedy, such was his dedication to his work but i wonder was "drink"the problem or the "prop"to overcome his frustration of unreasonable behaviour towards friends etc.or possibly fear of inability to continue in the same vein....No matter his last words before  death ,drunk in the gutter in Dublin to a passer-bye who went to his assistance in which he sat up and said "I have seen the gates of hell" ,dying seconds later......Did he mean the life he led,who knows ...Good Luck.

Thanks, may I also say that you write very well. Your comment really held my interest. Are you professional?

1. profile image52
            derekchristieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

More of a "ghost"particulary in the fug of pipe smoke,correcting thesis,tenders, in short making the"read"interesting and not "run of the mill"(very boring work),i don't type ,spellcheck(as can be seen),long hand writing erratically as i'm always 5-6 words ahead of my writing ability,i find the use of a minature recorder handy lest the "moment"is lost and much time wasted in efforts to  recall. I have always left typing to others ,spell checking from a dictionary before print, Now i have  dragged myself into this "information highway",a novice in every sense,keyboard,formatting etc....if i have a  "failing"in in this new found technology it would be to my "short sightedness "to recognise when submit is clicked "its gone"never to be retrieved or corrected, Any novel's i have written languish in a drawer which when time permits will be published hopefully in the not too distant future..Good Luck.

7. Kylyssa profile image89
    Kylyssaposted 9 years ago

When I have trouble writing what I'm supposed to be writing I write something else for a few minutes or hours.  It has almost always worked for me, except for that one time I took a gig I shouldn't have that required me to write something I found personally objectionable.  That required sitting in my office chair, twisting around a lot in my seat, sweating, biting my lip, and, ultimately, just doing it and saving the nightmares and revulsion for when my eyes were closed and the gig was done. 

My fiction writing is my pleasure writing so that just pours out, usually when I'm supposed to be writing something else.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)