Squidoo Moderation Grace period ended January 15th, 2015 at 12 noon PT

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (48 posts)
  1. Matthew Meyer profile image70
    Matthew Meyerposted 9 years ago

We just wanted to remind Squidoo authors who have migrated to HubPages, that the moderation grace period will end January 15th, 2015 at 12 noon PT.
    Hubs will be gradually moderated in phases and as such some may be affected before others.

This blog post shares helpful information related to some spammy issues with products in Hubs.
    http://blog.hubpages.com/2015/01/07/an- … -capsules/

We also have started a forum discussion related to product usage in Hubs and HubPages staff is available to answer your questions.
    You can find that thread here.
    http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2694414

You can find more about the QAP here.
    http://hubpages.com/faq/#quality-assessment

Here are some general tips for creating great Hubs.
    http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Elem … tellar-Hub
    http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/How- … y-of-a-Hub

Try to aim for an 8 or higher on this table.
    http://hubpages.com/help/hub_hop_table#informational

And here is the Squidoo-related FAQ as well.
    http://hubpages.com/squidoo/faq

1. lollyj lm profile image60
      lollyj lmposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't think I can edit any of the lenses that moved from squidoo to hub pages.  Do I have to do anything, or will you just delete my hubs?  Thanks.

1. StevenLay profile image66
        StevenLayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I do not understand anything about this new operation either. It seems to me the best thing is to just let them delete what they want and then move onward.

2. Virginia Allain profile image88
        Virginia Allainposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Lollyj - do you mean you don't have access to your lenses that are now hubs? If you need a password, then contact the hubpages administration.

If you have access but are unsure how to proceed with update to repair damages from the transfer, there's a facebook group called Lens to Hub Help.  They have lots of tips for this.

I mean I don't have the time, energy or desire to edit the lenses that were transferred to hub pages, Virginia.  So I'm wondering if they will just be deleted or if I have to do something first.

1. Writer Fox profile image30
            Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You only have 21 Hubs.  All you have to do is go to your Accounts page and see if you have any warnings.  It will take you about two seconds.

Thanks Writer Fox.  I did check and follow up on what few corrections I had to do.

2. Virginia Allain profile image88
            Virginia Allainposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Lollyj - your former lenses were so content rich, that I doubt you have any red skulls. Maybe a link here and there that needs updating. They won't delete them, just put them into unpublished status, is my understanding.

Don't get discouraged. You have great pages and they deserve to be seen.

Thanks for the kind words, Virginia.  You were right and I didn't have any red skulls.  smile  Just a few minor updates and had to add commentaries so I did that today.  The main problem is that most of my hubs are not being viewed so are inactive.

2. colorfulone profile image77
      colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

@lollyj lm, I strongly believe your hubs will be fine.
      Hang in there. Be strong,...  and keep on keeping on.  <3

Thanks for the encouragement, Colorfulone.  I edited them today so will see what comes of that.

1. colorfulone profile image77

Your hubs should be fine on HP, lollyj. smile

3. ajtyne profile image61
      ajtyneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I haven't had time to edit mine yet. What will happen when they are moderated -- does it just put them into a draft mode so I can fix them later or will they be deleted?

1. StevenLay profile image66
        StevenLayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, what does moderated mean?

Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this
          1. ajtyne profile image61

thank you!

2. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

They become unpublished/draft, not deleted.  They'll still be in your account where you can edit, republish, or delete them.  There's no time limit on drafts/unpublished hubs; they can sit there forever if you want.

1. ajtyne profile image61

Thanks very much!

2. profile image0
    Lorelei Cohenposted 9 years ago

Thank you for the post. If our hub has already been through a second editing and is still featured does this mean that it is okay and has passed the Hubpage quality control standard? There was a clause in the original notice that said something about the grace period ending when a Hub is edited.

Yes, the Squidoo moderation grace period only applies to Hubs that have not been edited since their automatic transfer from Squidoo.
      If you already edited your Hub, then the grace period for that Hub ended when the edit was made and it then was required to meet all moderation policies.

1. profile image0
        Lorelei Cohenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Matthew that helps smile

2. PaigSr profile image67
        PaigSrposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you as well. That's what I thought but its nice to see it written out.

3. makingamark profile image71
    makingamarkposted 9 years ago

I'm unclear as to whether moderation is automated or manual. Could you explain what moderation actually involves and over what period this is going to happen.

So for example, if I edited a lens three months ago and removed it from the grace period, would I have been right to assume that moderation kicked in and provided me with feedback as to whether or not HubPages was a good home for my content?

I've been working on the assumption that once we started to edit that the automated moderation filters would start to operate and hence anything that was a problem would be identified.

Hence the subsequent effort employed on bringing hubs up to scratch was geared to the feedback from early edits and hubs leaving the grace period.  In other words I would not bother to keep hubs here unless they worked for me as well as you. 

If too much needs to be changed and the result is very unsatisfactory from our perspective then it's actually far simpler - and much more efficient and effective - to just unpublish and remove to another site.  I've been working on the basis I'd get the answer to that question as I began to edit my hubs - and they left the grace period weeks and months ago.

So, bottom line, did I get decent feedback or not once my hubs left the grace period?

Moderation consists of programmatic functions and human moderators.
      People or bots flag content and then it is reviewed by moderators.

1. makingamark profile image71
        makingamarkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I understand that. However that didn't answer my question

2. colorfulone profile image77

No one is being discriminated against. The Squid grace period is about to end. Four months was very gracious of HubPages.

2. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This question was answered in a post to Lorelei.  I'm guessing Matthew probably presumed you read the entire thread, and thus he didn't repeat himself.

I'm sorry - I don't re-read the whole thread every time a member of staff responds to my question.

Besides the response to Lorelei did not answer my question either. Or maybe people haven't understood my question?

I tried to answer what I could determine as a question in your post.
          If you have a specific question you would like to ask, I can try to answer it.

OK - I'll try again - and try saying it differently.

Did the quality assessment process start to operate on ALL transferred/edited/republished hubs to its fullest extent - as soon as hubs were edited and republished?

My understanding is that the grace period finished and the quality assessment started as soon as we started to edit. In other words the grace period has already finished on all those hubs where hubbers have been addressing "issues" on a regular basis over the last four months

Ergo what happens on 15th Jan is just that the grace period finishes for any hubs which haven't been touched in the last 4 months.

What I was asking was whether I would be correct in assuming that the quality assessment process has been applied to ALL hubs which have been edited in the last four months?

In other words, if I edited a hub and it was fine as it left the grace period, would I be correct in assuming all or most of all similar hubs would probably also be fine.

It's just that if there is some NEW process which is suddenly going to be applied after January 15th which indicates hubs are not fine, then I think one might be entitled to feel very grumpy indeed about not having had decent feedback in the last 4 months and, as a result, wasting an awful lot of time trying to fix hubs as opposed to using that time more productively to remove them from this site and place them elsewhere.

4. seraphic profile image68
    seraphicposted 9 years ago

I just noticed that I had articles on Squidoo and they were sent here to HubPages. When i tried to login to the Squidoo account it will not allow me to access.

So it appears I had two accounts under two names on HubPages (I can not recall registering!), however when I try either of my login names, nothing works.

Now I had a payment processed from Squidoo in October, but noting since, so how do I reclaim my articles if I can not login here to access them?

write to team at hubpages dot com and explain what has happened

5. seraphic profile image68

Thanks Mark, I emailed them! I had no idea what happened, I just assumed they ran off with my articles as has happened before with other sites that I wrote for.

It would be nice if I could just have everything back again, but not possible for other sites I belonged to.

Thank-you for your help!

6. seraphic profile image68

Matthew, Thank-you ever so much for letting me know who to contact regarding Squidoo! I retrieved my articles, I am so glad they are not gone forever, this really meant a lot to me. A few years back I wrote for another site and they just disappeared, lost all my writings/ musings.
    Thank-you!

Glad that I could help!

7. profile image0
    Nyadenyaiposted 9 years ago

What is Squidoo? How do you know if you need to update your Hubs? I am confused.

1. Denise Davis6241 profile image60
      Denise Davis6241posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am right there with you. I am confused too. How do we know if we need to do anything?

You should watch your account and see if any Hubs are unpublished.
        If so, you can then edit them and submit them to be published for publication.

It is best to be proactive and to go through each of your Hubs and edit them.
        One of the primary issues is spammy content, so that is probably a good place to start.
        http://hubpages.com/faq/#Spammy-Elements
        You can find more about the QAP here.
        http://hubpages.com/faq/#quality-assessment

Here are some general tips for creating great Hubs.
        http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Elem … tellar-Hub
        http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/How- … y-of-a-Hub

Try to aim for an 8 or higher on this table.
        http://hubpages.com/help/hub_hop_table#informational

1. profile image0
          Nyadenyaiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

thanks

2. LisaMarieGabriel profile image85
      LisaMarieGabrielposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you don't know what Squidoo is you have no need to worry about this. The thread is a reminder to people who used to write at Squidoo before it was closed down that they need to update pages with violations before they are unpublished on the deadline today. (I assume that is what will happen anyway). You only need to update your pages if they are out of date, have violations, are unfeatured or need improving. If you don't know what Squidoo means then it is not relevant. Hope that helps your confusion. smile

1. profile image0
        Nyadenyaiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

thanks

8. Arachnea profile image65
    Arachneaposted 9 years ago

Great info. Has it been that long already. Seems like only last weekend. Thanks for the update.

9. chezchazz profile image77
    chezchazzposted 9 years ago

I had close to 200 pages that transferred from Squidoo.I have removed some, edited 100+, and the ones I have not had time to get to I "unpublished". Can I assume that as long as they are unpublished I can leave them that way until I have a chance to edit and publish them?
    That is, will the end of the grace period apply to unpublished pages from Squidoo or just the published ones?
    thanks for the clarification.

1. Writer Fox profile image30
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Unpublished Hubs are not moderated and are not seen by anyone.  Most Hubbers have at least a handful of Hubs that are in-progress and have never been published.  I have some with zero content because I just wanted to reserve the title until I get around to writing something. Until a Hub is published, there is nothing to moderate so don't worry about unpublished Hubs.

1. chezchazz profile image77
        chezchazzposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. (Big sigh of relief)

1. sandybrownpop profile image60
          sandybrownpopposted 9 years agoin reply to this

hmmmm informative discussion.

10. shellys-space profile image60
    shellys-spaceposted 9 years ago

Thank you for sending  the old Squidoo members an e-mail about the grace period ending. I appreciate that you have a forum where  questions are quickly answered!

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)