who to use to create a web site

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (21 posts)
  1. leigia67 profile image69
    leigia67posted 14 years ago

I am considering creating a web site and would appreciate comments/suggestions.  I am fairly new to this and the only web hosting/creation site that I know is godaddy.com but I am sure there must be more.

1. Faybe Bay profile image64
      Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually you can start one for free lots of places. I'll be right back where I started to build, but never got going.

1. Faybe Bay profile image64
        Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, that's what I thought it was, "Microsoft Office Live Small Business" is free.

I think you can get one with Yahoo, but haven't checked it out and someone started a thread about a .com for a dollar. I'll go find the thread.

leigia67posted 14 years agoin reply to this

thanks for the info...I will check it out :>

2. mailxpress profile image48
      mailxpressposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi,

I suggest using a free website builder before you purchase a Domain with a website builder.  Doing so will give you a chance to learn how to create a website and when you feel confident enough you can head your way to the real thing.
      I just recently started using weebly.com.  It's easy, fun and free and my websites look very professional.
      I hope that helps.  OH, Yolasite.com or Yola.com.  You should check that out too.  Weebly and Yola are my personal favorites.
      mailxpress

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is one big downside to that, though.  Say you start your own free website and it's successful.  Now you want to move it to a "real" website - so you buy your own domain name.

Now you've just lost all the age and credibility that your old site had with the search engines, and you'll have to start all over again with your new domain.

If you have serious aspirations to have a proper website, get your domain name now and stick with it.  Older domains get more respect from the search engines.  By all means, find a way to get free hosting if you want, but it's not as if hosting costs a lot.

3. Cly Walsh profile image60
      Cly Walshposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would go for Weebly any day of the week.

2. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Go daddy can hit you with a lot of extra charges.  I use Servage, (I can give you a referal code which gives us both some free extra space and me a months free hosting big_smile ) Servage can handle pretty much all your needs, and has auto-installers for popular content management systems such as wordpress.

While servage is very comprehensive, it may have more than you need from a hoost, so you may be able to find a cheaper deal. Check out their website for more info though!

thanks - I'll check it out and get back to you :>

1. livewithrichard profile image72
        livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've been using Godaddy for years to purchase my domain names and have never had a problem.  I host with Hostgator because I don't want all my eggs in one basket.

There is a code posted in this tread http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/37066#post841068  for Godaddy .com domain names for $1.17 after tax.  It was posted last night and I went to Godaddy and purchased a few .com's with that code so it does work.

Once on Godaddy, you can go into your cpanel dashboard, find the fantastico icon and easily install the wordpress software. Your new site will be up and running in a matter of a couple hours.

2. skyfire profile image80
      skyfireposted 14 years ago

Fatcow and justhost offers 4.95$/month plans for hosting and domains are priced at normal 9.95$/year. Also hostgator,bluehost offer hosting from 6$ onwards. If you want quality hosting then be prepared to spend 5$/month+domain(per year) charges.

Godaddy.com, namecheap.com are good for domain purchase but for hosting prefer hosts mentioned earlier in this post.

I figured I would need to spend a little money to get a decent service...thanks for the info...I will check them out...sounds like I have more homework to do!

3. K Partin profile image60
      K Partinposted 14 years ago

weebly.com is very user friendly and free also. I like it allot. smile

thanks...I'm working on researching all the helpful advice as we speak!

2. mailxpress profile image48
        mailxpressposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi K,
        Yes, weebly.com is very user friendly.  I like weebly very much.
        mailxpress

4. Bill Manning profile image68
      Bill Manningposted 14 years ago

I have over a dozen sites. Stay away from godaddy they will drown you in ads and even phone calls. A website has many different components.

First you need to buy your own domain name. Get it from a place that you DON'T get your hosting from.

Then you need to buy a hosting plan. Like I said, I would not use godaddy. I have a reseller account myself but I'm not going to spam it here. Use hawkhost or hosthead.

Then you need a website making software. I myself use wordpress, which is known as blogging software. But actually it's great for a full website. It's free.

Then if your going to sell stuff you need a shopping cart system, plenty out there. I use paypal shopping.

So to get your very own website up and live you should be able to do so for around $30.00 bucks. The rest is up to you and just what your doing with your website. Hope that helps. smile

5. orangelibralady profile image58
      orangelibraladyposted 14 years ago

|I read this, went to Weebly and have already started to make my first webpage!  Thank You

6. Greg From NY profile image64
      Greg From NYposted 14 years ago

BLUEHOST! do not use go daddy. Poor customer support and hidden fees.

BTW. free website editors create poorly made websites. If you know how to edit some things in myspace then you can make a website.

All you need is notepad and search google for "free css templates" you find a premade css template you like download it. unzip it. It will come with a handfull of pages you right click >open with notepad> there you edit the text to your liking. Like i said if you can edit a myspace with codes found online then you can grasp how to edit these pre made templates which will in turn give you a good understanding of webpage building.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't find CSS easy at all. I use Wordpress.  It's free, it's powerful and it's relatively easy to learn.  If you choose a theme that's widget-ready, you can do almost everything with plug-ins, and you don't have to know a word of code.

I built my first site in a day, having never used Wordpress before.  Admittedly it was fairly plain, but it worked!  And I've been able to improve my sites steadily as I learn more - and I still don't know how to use CSS or HTML!

7. Falsor Wing profile image62
      Falsor Wingposted 14 years ago

I'm totally new and I've been using blogger and Google sites. blogger is as easy as falling down the stairs when you realize what all it can't do. google sites seems to be able to do everything imaginable.

8. Warren M Walker profile image40
      Warren M Walkerposted 8 years ago

While is relatively easy to figure out how to build a free website, because there are plenty of sites with code you can Google for. The problem is "what must the website do?"

If its just a hello site then sure, build it yourself. If you actually want to sell yourself or a product then building a brand is important. You will not know how to build that brand properly, with the correct mega headers, Google analysis, Google alerts, Google webmaster tools, Favicon's for all platforms etc etc.
      Only an experienced developer can do that. Just to SEO a website might be hours of research for you, and you might still not get it right, depending on your skill level.

I would recommend using someone that knows what they doing. It doesn't have to be expensive, just shop around. There are always small agencies that have budget packages that will suit your pocket.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)