What Happened to the "GROUP" Function?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Jean Bakula profile image92
    Jean Bakulaposted 8 years ago

Did HP change the group function, or did I do something terrible to ungroup my 150+ hubs? I write a lot about Astrology, but have different categories. Under each of my hub categories, though, no matter what the subject, the individual hubs are listed. I just published a new hub, and it looks like all I have is Group titles, with NO hubs listed underneath them. It's the only way I can steer people to the hub which follows another, as I often write in series.

So I can't put the new hub in any category. All my categories are listed, but with no hubs under them. Two categories of Astrology hubs have been merged into one, and I know I didn't do that. I can't add the new hub anywhere, the directions on how to do it are pitiful.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Stickied announcement four hours ago: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/132251
      Sounds like a bad glitch? I hope HP can help you.

2. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 8 years ago

Hi Jean. I don't like the change to groups ... and will go the new forum thread to say so.

I can see the hubs in each group when I click on 'edit' near the group title, but can't see them all at once, can't change their order like we used to, and can't see how to add a new hub into a specific slot between existing hubs within that group.

Personally I can't see any advantage to the change.

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years ago

I looked it over; it seems pretty straightforward to me, and very similar to a change I had suggested.

It was always very cumbersome to drag/drop hubs to a new group, especially when you have over 300 hubs as I do.  Half the time, you'd "lose hold" of the hub you were dragging, and it would either go back to the bottom, or worse, end up in some random folder on the way in a group where it did not belong.

I had asked for a drop-down menu, where you could right-click a hub and select 'move to' a different folder...

What they've done is similar, except that all your hubs are visible in the box on the left; the box on the right contains all the hubs in whatever group you clicked on to view.

It the left box, each hub has an 'add' button next to or under it (depending on length of title).  All you would do, would be to click that "add" button, and it would be instantly added to the group you opened up.  You could add multiple hubs, one right after another, to the group you opened up.  Then, when done, click the 'save' button.  Repeat the process for other groups and hubs.

Much easier, IMO, than trying to drag a title 3/4 of the way up a page!  Now, I'm going to be able to re-organize some of my hubs, and even add a  few new groups, as I find I have some rather broad categories.  I've been dreading tackling that project; now, it will be much easier!

Jean Bakulaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Patti and DzyMsLizzy, and Long Time Mother,
      My issue is that all the hubs I had listed under the categories are GONE. I have quite a few categories, like Astrology, but they are divided into subcategories. I have two Sun Sign series that were just merged into one. I'm now unsure if it's a glitch. I can see how to add my latest hub to A group, but not the right one, the original one I made up when I began writing. It had to go into the one I didn't merge.

I don't want to sit and put 152 hubs back into New Categories. Yikes. Every time I start writing here again, something like this happens. I guess I can redo it, but don't want to spend my writing time catching up with new changes that make things worse. I'll try what you say MsLizzy, last night I tried and some of my categories were deleted (my fault).

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71
        Matthew Meyerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

@Jean

The group feature did change, but I haven't heard any other reports of people losing groups they have setup.

Did you have some empty groups (those with no Hubs assigned) that are no longer showing?

Deleted

1. brakel2 profile image74
            brakel2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Jean - When you click edit,  the group and list come up. It is kind of confusing. I had two orphan hubs that I already put in a group for the author bio, so it threw me for a minute. I hope this makes sense.

Hi Audrey,
              I click edit, and see the place where the Title of a Group comes up. The hubs that used to be under that title are listed on the right. But when I drag them to the left to put them under the right Group, they move back over to the right before I have a chance to click save. I'll try to play around with it a little more later. Everyone is trying to help me, maybe I have to get away from it for a bit and rest my eyes! Thanks though.

Jean - The actual group is on the right, and needs to stay there. The left side is for existing orphan hubs. At least that was the way mine worked.

Audrey,
                  The group of hubs is listed on the right, but the Group Title is on the Left. I try to drag the title of the hub to get it in the Group to Add it, and it moves away. Should I try to be moving the Title of the Group to the right? Ah, my son just came home. Maybe he can help this Group challenged person.

See my previous post to which I added some info.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
                    DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think the problem is, you are trying to "drag"  them, as we used to have to do.  Now, all you have to do is click the "add" button next to the title of the hub in the LEFT box, that you would like to add to the GROUP box on the RIGHT.

I don't think it is a drag-and-drop function anymore.
                    Hope that helps.

2. Jean Bakula profile image92

Hi Matt,
          None of my Group titles disappeared. But all of the individual hubs listed in each category did. For instance, I can make a new/old group again, Astrological Sun Signs. All 12 hubs that belong in that category are listed in the right side box. But when I try to drag them over to be included in the category, the title just moves back to that right side box.

Why did this have to be messed with? It's a feature I recall many people saying they didn't use. I do, because I write a lot of series things in groups of 12, and like the correct piece to be read after the one before it.

Is there any fast way to fix it, or do I have to relist all those hubs? And if so, how do I drag them and have them not move away? I tried advice I see on this forum, and as soon as I try to put a hub under the Group title, it moves away before I have a chance to save it. Thanks.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71
            Matthew Meyerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You can't drag and drop a Hub to a group. You need to use the "add" and "remove" buttons for each Hub. If you click "help" on the groups page, you will see the instructions.
            http://hubpages.com/my/hubs/groups

I have pasted them below as well.

Putting your Hubs in Groups allow readers to easily navigate through your Hubs on the same topic. Groups are clusters of Hubs in the same topical area.

To create a Group, follow these steps:

- Click on the Add New Group button.
            - Name your Group in the box at the top.
            - To add Hubs to your Group, click on the add buttons next to each Hub title. - Use the search box to find specific Hubs.
            - Sort Hubs in a Group by dragging and dropping the titles inside of the box that contains your selected Hubs.
            - Click save.

Click the edit button to make changes to an existing Hub Group, or the delete button to completely remove a Group.

Orphan Hubs (Hubs that do not belong to any Groups) are viewable in the New Group and Edit Group overlays. They appear in the “available Hubs” list in the box on the left side.

Thanks Matt, I'll keep trying. It's just not working for me. I click "Add" to whatever Group is listed, and nothing happens. Maybe I need to take a break.

2. paradigm search profile image55
      paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

One can still drag and drop within each list.

Yes, thanks all, I've got the hang of it now smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)