The Greatness of President Washington

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (44 posts)
  1. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
    Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years ago

Why is he so revered to this very day, apparently, even by the left?
    Perhaps President Washington can help us Unify as a Country and get on the same page to resist the influences that threaten to destroy The United States of America.
    Forget about us being "great" and all that stuff. We just need to be able to maintain our HOMELAND and its founding principles!
    What does George Washington stand for? What is it about our very first President that we revere?

2. God shet profile image60
    God shetposted 8 years ago

Is it merely a witty coincidence that the word 'Washington' sounds so similar to the compound noun, 'Washing-machine'? smile

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

Okay fine, The greatness of President H. Clinton. Why would she make a great President?
    or maybe I should ask ...
    HOW?

4. God shet profile image60

'H. Clinton' sounded like 'House-cleaning' :-)

Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am still wondering what the left thinks of President Washing Machine.
      or why President House Cleaning would make a good president. :-)  huh?

5. God shet profile image60

because the basic principle of both of these two are that of washing out.. good and bad stuff, in their own order ;-)

… okay, can you elucidate further? what "own order"? what "good and bad stuff"? Or do you not know and you are just being poetic?
      - are you a Democrat, Progressive, Liberal or Moderate? or none of these? Or is party affiliation irrelevant to your emerging explanation, (if you have one,)?

6. God shet profile image60

there need to be a (peacefully conducted) revolution, or something like that, frankly speaking.

Revolution IS a cleansing!
      Hillary could do such a cleaning job for the country if she is in the White House?

7. God shet profile image60

The Genesis ~ and The Bhagavad Gita - though not even remotely related to each other, in terms of their production and producer(s) - speak of radical measures to 'balance' radical 'imbalances'. So, I guess it's a fundamental force latent in every consciousness, maybe?

... how are (radical) imbalances caused?
      Will any president be able to balance, cleanse and revolutionize what needs to be balanced, cleansed and revolutionized?
      What would such a person have to do?

8. God shet profile image60

My guess would be when I personally check out all the places on earth which are 'protected' from such imbalances. The ant colonies in the nearby forests, for example.

Well, funny you should mention that!  From a local news paper:
      "Recently, one native ant population in northern California actually developed a chemical secretion that kills other invasive ants." The author's commentary: "You can never predict the natural twists and turns of natural selection." :-)

1. God shet profile image60
        God shetposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes, ants are wiser :-)

9. God shet profile image60

Maybe native groups, such as the 'Native Americans', have a lot to offer us about learning what causes 'radical imbalances' ~ and how to cure them?

We are all learning, and becoming aware.

I wonder what the oai people have to say observing all of this and watching us fail. Its all so pathetic, it makes you want to cry.
      I could never understand why they just didn't join us. Now I know why.

one of the many good things about Natives is that they never refuse to embrace :-)

who would?

Deleted

Have you?

I've planned a lot. I can say this much :-)

you would know when you see a Native :-)

3. God shet profile image60

..and Natives would tell when they see one

10. God shet profile image60

These type of problems are of the mind, heart and soul. Perhaps only someone with an equally tender mind, heart and soul should ever dare to solve these

11. God shet profile image60

These pure and tender souls (in there exists, any) should become presidents. Not the other way round: we need not expect Obamas and Clintons to become pure and tender.

President Washington was like that, from what I have read. He was a man of his day as far as owning slaves, (edit: and dealing with the Indians,) but he had much compassion for them (edit: He had much compassion for Indians too, in the beginning.) and allowed their families (slaves) to stay together. He freed his slaves, (those he could legally free,) before he died.
      He would go from church to church to get a sampling of what other denominations were preaching. He taught himself how to read/write and worked everyday in his library.  He prayed every morning and every night. He asked God for guidance.
      He was not afraid of bullets in battles. He'd be on his horse with bullets whizzing by, but never took one.

I find that interesting that even presidents need spiritual guidance. Not something we always think they do.

12. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
  13. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

I wonder how Hillary would have dealt with the "Indians" back in the day.

Its amazing how the white man just moved right in and took over, isn't it?

And now look what we've done to this continent.
    I am sad.
    very sad.
      If President Washington came back to take a stroll through this country today he would probably wonder if all his efforts were worth it  ...
    at all. sad

He might go to every reservation and apologize.
    He might ask the desendents of the original Asian immigrants how can we fix this mess.
    They were here for centuries and we've messed things up in such a short time.
    I think God is crying too.

14. God shet profile image60

One of the things I've always wondered is on the ways the Natives Indians cure the physically sick. I had to undergo a hernia surgery when I was 8 years old. I wonder what they might have done to me if I were born to a Native Indian community.

Apart from that ~ I really admire their culture, and might live happily as a Native Indian for the next ten years of my life.

You could have/probably would have died. Or maybe you wouldn't have had a hernia at such a young age on a more natural diet!

Really? How? Living as a "Native Indian?"  Some can't stand the words Native or Indian.
      I call them OAI People. Original Asian Immigrant People. They called themselves "People."
      Today they are descendants of the OAI People. Some say, "indigenous" people

I too had thought about that point, and find it valid, upto a certain extent. My own personal experience in life has taught me that many physical diseases occur as a rebellion of the spirit, against the contractions that a 'modern world' imposes upon us.

That said, considering the makeup of the human anatomy, I do not find it realistic to believe that no one of the Native Americans had ever had a hernia or such diseases (that required surgery). I've always wondered how they manage such cases.

They were very fit and strong.
          The California Indians worked to find and locate what they needed and once they were satisfied, they would play, relax, have a good time, make love …  and gamble! They loved gambling!
          Californians (in the 30's- 70's) used to have a good time. Now they (we) just work. Work or die.
          So on that happy note, good night. Thanks for the prompts, GS.

Excluding their medical expertise ~ their culture is excellent.

Goodnight :-)

3. God shet profile image60

One last thought - perhaps I wouldn't stand being a Native American for more than 10 years. I'd be missing helicopter rides and internets!

Helicopter rides?

4. colorfulone profile image77
            colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

God shet has been banned from HubPages?
            Did I miss something?

1. profile image0
              ahorsebackposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's too bad , he was a little edgy but hey , he commented on a couple of my hubs  , I think we could have brought him around to being  perhaps a bit less edgy . What is this banning thing anyway ! Aren't we all adults here ?

I think he's around still.

1. profile image0

No ! Sorry , according to his page , he's been banned .

He did nothing bannable.

15. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

You know Kathryn  , I found that  I carried  the same  feelings about GW.  many years ago  and being a semi- pro historian  LOL,   I find that the more I read about our first president , the more I admire him too !  The years of pre-during -post  revolutionary war[s]   was extremely  trying , politically .  Yet not only  did he handle the military side of that  , but he excelled  at the political part AND  the people just loved and admired him  as well , it seems anyways

I had relatives that served  in the French and Indian and  Revolutionary  War,  I have also found that  my great, great  grandfather was named for him  as were many, many soldiers sons and grandsons ! In fact there are so many George Washington  Smith's  and Jones named for him it actually makes genealogy a bit difficult at times .re

I actually have a distant cousin or an uncle  that was on G.W  's Life Guards AND  kept a journal !  The Life Guards were  about two hundred  hand picked soldiers  chosen to guard him  all during the war ! I have read his journals and  they are in print .  Yeaa - he's my hero too.

Wow, ahorseback. I have a distant cousin on my mother's side that fought in the revolutionary war.
      I have a picture of him in a locket.
      We come by our patriotism honestly.

1. profile image0

Yes we sure do , and rightfully so .  You know , I figure  how can a simple man like me ever question  patriotism when I look at my own family history , the French and Indian wars ,  King Georges War  , the Revolutionary war  , the civil war , WWI, WWII  , Viet- Nam  and now the gulf wars , my families history is far bigger that I am !    And certainly far bigger than   all the nay - sayers .    ..........:-}

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)