Cheap Tippers

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)
  1. realtalk247 profile image75
    realtalk247posted 8 years ago

What does it mean when a person tips poorly and what does that have to do with dating? Bad sign.
    What does it mean when you are on the date and the person tips inappropriately when the service has been great and your waiter/waitress has serviced your need personally.

#1. No class. I'm sorry but you should know how to tip appropriately.
    #2. Selfish. If you are one of those people that take out your phone and activate your calculator to provide a tip to the penny-this is a sign of selfishness.  Are you a person going through life calculator your interaction and transactions as well?  Who does that?
    #3.Lack of social graces.

What does tipping poorly say about the character of the person? What are your theories?
    http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12626229.jpg

1. Live to Learn profile image60
      Live to Learnposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it necessarily reflects poorly on the individual. I was a waitress once. I remember a couple from my home town came in. An older couple. They called me over after the meal and said they wanted to give me something. It was fifty cents (on about a $40 tab). They were so excited to give it. They honestly didn't have a clue.

But, I agree that the people who whip out the tip calculator are usually cheapskates across the board.  If I were on a date and the person paying didn't tip well, I'd simply pull out some money and make sure the tip was appropriate. It can be done with grace without embarrassing the other individual and they might learn something in the process. Or not. But either way the server gets paid.

1. erorantes profile image50
        erorantesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Tips are from 25%, 20%, 15% from the total amount expended on the service we used. Also, we need to reward the server according to the service he or she provided. Your date is a very smart person. You are a lucky girl.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 8 years ago

As an immigrant I often did not realize I was meant to tip for certain services and I never knew how much to  tip as online advice is all over the place If the customer is a foreigner it makes more sense to just let them know. It may be a new and confusing custom.

3. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 8 years ago

Your posts frequently have no basis in reality, and this one is no exception.

Your argument against people using a phone app to calculate a tip makes no sense.  Many people cannot figure out what 20% of a number is in their heads, let alone add the tip amount to the price. That's what the phone is for.  They can just write down whatever numbers they see on the screen.  Most payments are electronic these days so it makes no difference if the total ends in cents or is a whole dollar amount. There's no shame in this and as long as the server gets his gratuity there is no problem.

realtalk247posted 8 years agoin reply to this

You're funny. If you don't like my articles I respectfully appreciate your decision not to follow my work.
      Wow. "Many people can't figure out 20%."   According to math concepts and skills calculation of simple percentages are learned between the ages of Ages 8-11.

If you responded to this post because you disagree the amount of tip has nothing to do with character, point taken.
      See how I can state my point without attacking the writer?

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

As a long time math teacher I am in a better position than you to say what people often can and can't do regarding mental math, and I am telling you many people cannot do 20% of something in their heads without a calculator. With a pencil and paper sure, but who is whipping out a  notepad and pencil in  restaurant to figure a tip? Get "real." (after all, it is in your username.)  People use the phone calculator because they don't want to embarrass themselves by calculating it wrong, or look like a dummy by taking to long to calculate it in their heads. 

So you're telling me you've never met a person who is bad at mental math?  Then I wonder if you have ever met many people in real life because your posts tend to make sweeping generalities about people that do not match "real"ity .

And this is not your article, it is a public forum post that anyone can read and comment on.  So I have read it and am commenting. If you don't like someone disagreeing with your sweeping generalities, maybe before you post you should ask yourself if what your positing is an overly broad (and wrong) characterization of people.

You still haven't provided any justification for your odd opinion, i.e, why you think using a phone to calculate a tip and leaving a tip amount that ends in cents is a sign of selfishness.  Perhaps the word you were looking for is "stinginess," but still that doesn't  make any sense either. The person is using the calculator precisely to figure the minimum tip amount  to avoid being stingy.

And in case you're wondering, I figure tips in my head.

Have a blessed day. Thank you for your input. Interesting opinion.
          True some people may not be the best with math. From some women's experience men who tipped by calculator never tipped above the minimum-now that's not an absolute rule of thumb but experience which can be different for some.

1. Live to Learn profile image60
            Live to Learnposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I would think you are probably right. It makes sense. People who round aren't concerned with the pennies. People who are concerned with the pennies, if they are tipping above the 15% could round down in order to easily determine their tip and still stay above the minimum. The only time a calculator would be an unavoidable tool is if you tip the minimum and don't want to go below that point.

2. gmwilliams profile image84
        gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000!

4. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 8 years ago

Ha, well, I pull out my phone to calculate and I've never tipped less than 15% in my life, even for underwhelming or downright bad service. I usually figure out what percentage I want and then round UP to the nearest dollar or whatever number gives me an even total - not because I don't want to tip a penny more than I have to. wink I am just terrible at math.

I was a server for 6 years and I didn't really care to assume anything about some random person's character just because they didn't tip me well.  I know nothing about them and I don't think you can fairly judge someone's character based on how they tip. If they were really nice but tipped poorly I usually assumed they just didn't know what an appropriate tip was or they didn't know how to calculate it. Or maybe they don't have much money but wanted to do something special by eating out and tipped what they could. If they were rude the whole time and treated me like a servant and then tipped poorly then sure, I might roll my eyes and think some unkind thoughts but I still wouldn't pretend to know if they were a selfish/unclassy person.  Maybe they were having a bad day.  Maybe their mind was somewhere else and they didn't realize how poorly they were treating me.  It doesn't necessarily excuse them but I also don't think it's right to base an opinion on who they are as a person because of a single bad experience I had with them.

Okay Aime F. Good point. You round up on your tip-cool-and you use your calculator. Interesting. Cool.

5. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 8 years ago

I'm a fairly educated person but I would probably fail a math test made for 8-11 year olds if you put it in front of me right now. lol

6. realtalk247 profile image75
    realtalk247posted 8 years ago

Here's a tip on how to tip without calculator needed. Here's how to tip 20% and up.
    Take 10% of the check and multiply it by 2. You can determine 20% tip and if you choose to give more than you can.
    Mathematics in action:
    10% of $40 = $4. $4 x 2= $8
    Divide $40 by 5 = $8

When I consider providing a tip, while I do consider service, I also remember people earn their living off of tips.  So if a waitress/waiter is good to me then I'm good to them.  If I frequent an establishment often, it would behoove me to make sure my "tip legacy" creates the desire for people to service my needs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)