Why Turning Off Ads MIGHT Help - or not

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (39 posts)
  1. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

Recently Paul Edmondson made a statement about ads which has caused some confusion.

He has suggested that if you are using Amazon ads on a Hub, you should turn off other advertising.   I can understand his reasoning, BUT it will backfire badly if you don't do it right.

The theory is that Google doesn't like to see too many ads on a web page.  So, if you're going to ADD ads (i.e. Amazon capsules), you should turn off other ads to restore the balance.  Sounds fair, right?   

The snag is that with the ads switched ON, you earn money from views and clicks.   With the ads switched OFF, your only chance of earning money is if someone actually buys something from your Amazon ads.  So you'd better be absolutely sure your Amazon ads are tempting and convincing, otherwise you'll earn zilch! 

I'd say you need to know whether your Amazon ads are working before you even THINK about turning off ads.  If you've had a Hub for a while and are not making sales from the Amazon capsules, then I'd be more inclined to get rid of the Amazon capsules than turn off the ads.

1. makingamark profile image71
      makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This is where the absence of feedback on the totality of sales via Amazon and how they arose on specific hubs leaves hubbers totally in the dark.

One of the things I did before leaving Squidoo (where we got 100% feedback on Amazon sales - and got 50% of the associated income) was to download all the sales data from the lenses which converted well and consistently over the years - right back to the beginning. As a result I have an awful lot of giant spreadsheets where I sorted the data over the years and highlighted all the key products which made regular conversions.

Personally I think the sales data feedback on the Squidoo site is one of the key reasons why Squidoo always did much better than HubPages at selling products and making income to run the site and reward those who made lenses which converted.

I KNOW what makes sales on my hubs - but only because of my Squidoo data. I also know which other products which make occasional sales and are worth keeping. (Those moderating my hubs certainly don't have better data than I have!)

However hubbers are, by and large, almost completely in the dark

* they don't get COMPLETE data about sales because of the way the income model works (i.e. sales which get credited to HubPages are missing!)

* they don't have ANY sales data which relates any sale directly to a particular hub - so they have no idea which hubs make income and which ones don't. So I don't see any way people can be certain about which ones to remove adverts from because of the way the hub converts modules to sales.

* they haven't got a clue which hubs generate sales via Amazon even if they don't have any prompt from the hub. For example I have hubs about drawing books which don't contain any products related to the activity of drawing - but they have consistently generated sales of pencils etc without any prompt from the hub. 

I'm very glad I've got my squidoo data - plus the data I have from my other sites which generates via my Amazon associates reports.

I think if HubPages wants to look at promoting Amazon sales then it needs to take a long hard look at its feedback to hubbers.

1. sallybea profile image96
        sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

A little off point here but I am curious as to why e-Bay Ads are not being discussed at all!   My sales from e-Bay modules give me the detailed information you would like to see so why do we not get it from Amazon sales?

2. EricDockett profile image96
      EricDockettposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Here'e my concern/question: Will pages with the Ad Program/Adsense ads turned off be granted greater leeway and allowed to show more Amazon products before being labeled as "spammy" and de-featured?

In one of my niches, many people who run their own websites monetize 100% via Amazon. It is a topic that lends very well to this, and it probably would be worth considering shutting down the Ad program for pages on that topic.

However, for this approach to be effective Hubbers would need the freedom to do to it correctly, just like these other webpages we compete with in the SERPs.

Turning off the Ad Program while maintaining a strict limit on Amazon links would not be helpful to the reader, the Hubber or HubPages, and in my opinion would be a huge mistake.

I absolutely agree.

We were told that the top converting Amazon product on Squidoo was books - consistently year after year.

Books on a topic make a very suitable topic for a hub (or any other website) as one of the things that Amazon does really badly is group books on a topic.

I'd be very happy to have absolutely no adverts on my book hubs and stop having MTurk people label them as spammy because they have too many amazon modules - when actually the intention is to educate and inform by showing the range and choice of good books on a topic.

As it stands my book hubs are currently top priority to move off this site following the recent spate of "unfeatured" hubs.

3. justholidays profile image66
      justholidaysposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Edited: when did capsules become visible even with ad blockers turned on? I don't remember these being visible in such condition... ???

Well I've just checked a hub with the AdBlock on and off on three different browsers (Chrome, Forefox and Opera) and on each the adverts in the side column and the banner at the top disappear with AdBlock - but all the Amazon modules remain visible.

AdBlock does not count Amazon as an advert

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

AdBlock used to consider Amazon capsules were ads, because that was a big complaint when Squids first transferred over - at that time, ad blockers blocked all Amazon and eBay capsules on HubPages whereas Squidoo had managed to get around it somehow.  I assume HP has now worked out the same workaround.

I don't recall ever having a problem with AdBlock and amazon modules on Squidoo

I seem to recall this was one of the main reasons why HubPages wanted to acquire Squidoo....

2. justholidays profile image66

In the past, with Ad-Block+ turned on, I couldn't see the Amazon capsules at all, katherine. That is why I asked...

Remember the threads that were discussed as to why HP bought the Amazon module designs from Squidoo but never adapted them so as to make them visible with ABP turned on? As I recall pretty well that Squidoo modules were visible while HP capsules were not (never been since I joined, but it looks like they made use of Squidoo's whole code in the end).

Was last year when they implemented the "new" design smile

4. Solaras profile image95
      Solarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think, as my rule of thumb, if I have a hub that consistently sells, but gets less than 50 views a day, I would turn off the HP ads.  If I have a hub selling Amazon products and getting 50+ views a day, I will leave it be, and run both HP/Adsense and Amazon capsules.

That is useful advice, thank you.

5. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Paul even suggested that people switch HP ads off IF you are already making sales through the Amazon ads. He didn't say just switch them off just because you have Amazon ads on a Hub.

6. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Marisa, for this warning and clarification. I get an Amazon sale so rarely that it's a celebration for me when it happens. I see that I'm taking a big risk turning off my ads, especially for those hubs with no Amazon capsules, which are most of my hubs.

I'm shooting the dice to see if traffic increases enough to make a difference with readers who will stay on my page longer, click on links to my other articles, and possibly share them. It may not be significant yet but it does raise the probability of sending more traffic to those hubs with ads still on and those with Amazon capsules. We will see. So far, traffic is up.

1. Susana S profile image94
        Susana Sposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Because your hubs get so few sales Paul's advice to you would be to remove the amazon ads. I agree with him. If they're not converting then your visitors aren't interested in buying. It's better to avoid potentially annoying visitors with superfluous ads.

1. janshares profile image93

Thanks, Susanna S. Just discovered I need to turn ads back on for some hubs. Yikes!

1. Susana S profile image94
            Susana Sposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome.

Yep you will do better with HP ads on and amazon off. Most hubbers will as most don't write pages that are geared towards product sales.

2. DrMark1961 profile image95
          DrMark1961posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I apologize if this is off topic from Marisa´s original post, but I am wondering if I recommend an Amazon product in a hyperlink (instead of that huge ad that gets splashed in the middle of the page) are the sales incomes handled the same way? Does the hub author get paid if the reader clicks on that hyperlink and buys the product?

1. Solaras profile image95

I am not sure, but it may be that if you use a link instead of the HP capsule, your hub will be found to be spammy and therefore unfeatured.  I tried something similar, and could not get my hub featured until I removed it.  It has been a while, so I may have had a different scenario and yours may work.

1. DrMark1961 profile image95

I did it this morning when I published the Tibetan dog names hub, and since you mentioned that I had to go over and check and make sure it passed QAP. It is already featured.
              As you have mentioned in the past, we never make any Amazon sales off of those hubs so I just recommended that people buy the dog tag from a pet store or click on the Amazon link. I was just curious to learn if there was a split on those sales--at least I did not have to add another ad to my webpage!

2. Glenn Stok profile image96
              Glenn Stokposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You probably tried to use your Amazon ID in a hard coded link. That would get unfeatured because you'd get revenue on all sales and nothing goes to HP. You need to let HP generate the link by choosing the Amazon option when creating the text link. Then it properly works with the 60/40 impressions.

1. Solaras profile image95

Ahhh - thank you.

2. Glenn Stok profile image96

If you use a hyperlink generated by choosing the Amazon option on the link, then revenue works the same as Amazon capsules - you will get paid for sales that convert on your 60% of the impressions.

1. DrMark1961 profile image95

Thanks, that is exactly what I did. I am not sure if it will ever convert to any sales on those dog name hubs but it does look a lot less intrusive than those large Amazon ads. I appreciate the information.

7. Glenn Stok profile image96

Marisa, you are definitely correct with all this. That's why Paul said to turn off ads ONLY on hubs that were successfully getting Amazon sales.

Since that day, I am experimenting. I shut off ads on a couple of hubs that were getting at least one Amazon sale every week or so. It's too soon to tell if it's working, but so far I got three sales in five days.

I also shut off ads on several other hubs that have Amazon ads that aren't doing so well, but that did get a sale or two once in a while. I want to see if they generate more sales being that the reader sees  no other ads that might take them away. So far, no benefit there ( as I expected ).

As for hubs that get no Amazon sales, I agree with you on that one too. For a long time already I have always removed Amazon capsules that weren't working to make Google happy.

This is an ongoing experiment.

1. janshares profile image93

+1

2. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 8 years ago

Maybe HubPages told Adblock the Amazon ads were not ads but recommendations.

+++

2. justholidays profile image66

Nope...

They surely used the code they bought from Squidoo but forgot to let us know...

If the AdBlock had STILL been blocking Amazon modules on HubPages an awful lot of transferred lenses would have left this site before now.

My recollection was there was a short hiatus while there was a problem with an update and then it reverted to Amazon modules being visible.

1. justholidays profile image66

What I say is that I NEVER saw any mention of a change. That is why I asked: only noticed that today. In reality this didn't bother me because I never saw any kind of annoucement (same case as with the new 300 words rule that applies in some cases and doesn't in others).

3. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Lol

3. makingamark profile image71
    makingamarkposted 8 years ago

Who cares - it's the end result that matters!

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 8 years ago

Just a note...

Twice in the past I have turned off ads for a month on my zero-traffic hubs in the hopes of enticing Google those hubs were worthy. It had zero effect.

This does not contradict Paul E.'s advice re: the Amazon scenario however. I've had zero success in my Amazon endeavors, but for those who do: believe Paul E. The man is not stupid; HubPages is an amazing accomplishment.

To be honest - and not wanting to be in any way disrespectful - I'd rather hear a comment about what happens if you turn the adverts off from somebody who has been successful when using Amazon on HubPages.

The impact on those who have never been very successful has got to be very difficult to determine because this could be for all sorts of reasons unrelated to the use of Amazon.

First you have to see a benefit for those who know they can sell - then you might be able to work out if there is a potential benefit for those who have never sold or only sold very little.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I like you. No offense taken. I'm just saying: Believe the Man.

All I'm saying is that I believe data.

Preferably a proper test with a set of control data done by somebody with a personal and sucessful track record in getting Amazon modules to convert on a variety of sites

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
            paradigmsearchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

And does not Paul E. have just that?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)