Here is a one sentence explanation as to how ISIS was formed.

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (28 posts)
  1. rhamson profile image70
    rhamsonposted 8 years ago

This is a quote from a Lebanese writer Karl Sharro and his one sentence explanation of why ISIS came about. It is a little long winded but I think he covers it pretty well.
    http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12772852.jpg

1. colorfulone profile image78
      colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

In a nut shell Karl Sharro explained it very well. 
      Although, it be a rather large nut shell I think.

rhamsonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I thought it was spot on myself. When are ever going to learn to butt out?

1. Live to Learn profile image61
          Live to Learnposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You do realize that when you post a thread on an internet forum you are inviting people to butt in?

Either way; I do see how he arrived from point A to the end. But, it does ignore a lot in order to follow that path to the end. I do think populations are responsible for their own course in history. Much of the West has proven that the populations not only want peace, but demand it. Those who want peace know that to maintain it the society has to attempt to ensure a state of being where freedom and happiness for all individuals is an obtainable goal. These societies appear to work diligently to have meaningful conversations on what a society must do to ensure that state of being. We embrace (slowly, at times) diversity. We celebrate (for the majority) the ability of each to follow their own path when it does not inhibit the path of others.

Any society which consistently demands strict adherence to a narrow set of beliefs and a uniform lifestyle and teaches its young that those who do not adhere to these values are not worthy of life will create enough discord to breed violent intent. How they act on that violent intent varies from country to country.

Are there stumbling blocks which have been created for these societies? Sure.

Is that an excuse to evolve in the manner they have? I'm not so sure about that.

Do any of these stumbling blocks result in valid reasons to export their violent intent within the border of other nations? I do not see any valid reason to come to that conclusion.

I always invite comment and conversation and I would agree with you but for that pesky little detail of the intervention of the west in the setting up of the region and the desire for the ever increasing demand for energy with the end of the second industrial revolution and the increase of the Bessemer steel process.

The other problematic occurrence was the formation of the Zionist State which created a big problem with the west even to today.

As far as the unrest bred by dictatorial rule or theocratic violence the writing is on the wall as the influence from the west and its' support of these Mullahs and dictators is the main reason. Generation upon generation of young men have been repressed and abused by the shadow governments tyrannical methods.

But, generations of young men have done nothing to alleviate the problem. Many have actively exacerbated it.

People are responsible for their own actions and their own fates. Blaming others is pointless if the only outcome is that you don't take any responsibility for your actions.

History is history. We can't change it. Nor, should we blame it for not fixing our own problems. If we use the sins of the past to develop a hatred we project into the future we become the sins of the past.

Easy for you to say sitting safe and comfortable where opportunity abounds. You haven't walked a mile in their shoes so you nor I have any idea what it is like to live in an impoverished state of anarchy and war. I have lived outside the US and it always blows me away when we as Americans force our ideas of acceptable on others when we have no idea what we are talking about. Notice I included myself as I have not lived in the Middle East. I have had family members live there and they have told me how very little we Americans know or even relate to the people and the situation over there.

I've lived on three continents thus far. I'm not attempting to force my views on anyone in any country. I am simply stating what I will not do; which is listen to whiny blame games.

I used to be like you. Then I realized that having those opinions put me in a position of looking down on others.

And as typical you wish to absolve yourself of blame. So American it wreaks. LOL. American foreign policy went from a high point of standing for freedom to conquest using the military to retrieve and defend economic advances for the corporate hegemony. If you once thought like me why did it change to the idea that placing responsibility where it lies is looking down on anybody.

2. GA Anderson profile image88
                  GA Andersonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

"... it always blows me away when we as Americans force our ideas of acceptable on others when we have no idea what we are talking about."

That sounds like the point I was making about your posted "one-sentence" explanation. That was the lead-off, the starting-gun for the rest of the sentence, but your quote doesn't sound like you agree with it.

GA

Our ideas were not the first line of action. The British were the decision makers of the first spoils of the Ottoman Empires demise. We came in afterwards and installed our little cottage dictators because dealing with a democracy is a pain as evidenced in the first free election in Iraq. Al-Maliki was our plant and lo and behold he was elected. What does that say in response to how it was set up? He was a slap in the face to the theocrats. It was never going to work as it was a made up country.

2. colorfulone profile image78
          colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The US seems to have an imperialistic mind set.

The Yellow Brick Road: the Federal Reserve (which isn't a federal agency at all) creates money out of thin air.  The Fed says it isn't privately owned, but it is. The Fed says it is a none-profit organization but it is not.  http://www.globalresearch.ca/who-owns-t … erve/10489

The US created Al-Qaeda and ISIS.

ISIS serves a need for the United States while the defense contractors gain even more wealth.

Since 2012 it is legal for the US to spread propaganda to its own citizens. It is no wonder to me that nothing makes logical-sense coming from the WH these days.

I'm just thinking out loud here, trying to put pieces together. Time for a walk in the woods...

2. GA Anderson profile image88

Can I have some cheese and a little mustard to go with that baloney?

"...failure of the postcolonial elites to create genuine democratic societies and foster a sense of national unity..."

We can do that? Take a tribal people, (like Iraq), force them to embrace an "everyone is equal" democratic form of government, (like Iraq), and, make them believe that yesterday they were tribal, but today they are a a national unit, (like Iraq)? (Iraq is only the most recent example to cite. History provides more examples of these types of efforts)

There are more slices in the package of that paragraph/sentence, but when you start with unrealistic idealistic proclamations, what follows is usually more of the same.

GA

With the break up of the Ottoman Empire and the Balfour Declaration the area was divided contrary to the agreements with the local authority. The split up was in conflict with The Sheriff of Mecca and the McMahon-Hussein Correspondence in favor of the Zionist State of Israel. So from the very beginning the promises and cooperation between the people in the region and the British was one of lies and broken promises. Hardly a baloney sandwich.

1. GA Anderson profile image88

You must have mixed up responses. My baloney reference was pointed at a specific quote. But even so...

Do you think the `victor' nations involved could have done what the quote I referenced said they should have done. Would the populaces of the regions have accepted what the quote proposed? Did the victor nations have postcolonial responsibilities to the defeated empire?

You are welcome to engage another thread about the error of the distribution, (another Israel discussion), but that was not the object of my response. So have at it. I still hold my original thought.

GA

Then let me know specifically what wording it was that you reference as you see it has much wording to it.

Yes I do believe if the area was organized as it was before the break up there is a good possibility that a democratic nation could have been organized much like Turkey. The Kurds the Shia and the Sunni were all grouped together in an alliance that would never have worked. This is not only of our doing but that of the British as well. The three way split is what is being talked about now.

1. mrpopo profile image72
              mrpopoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

"Then let me know specifically what wording it was that you reference as you see it has much wording to it."

He, uh, quoted it. Right here:

...failure of the postcolonial elites to create genuine democratic societies and foster a sense of national unity...

If that is what you are referring to then it is as simple an answer as The Shah of Iran, Saddam Hussein, Yasser Arafat and the best one Al-Maliki in Iraq who created a total Shia cabinet among the many plants based on American Middle East Policy. Did you not get the gist of the sentence? Once again we have a selective amnesia. The latest terrorist attack in San Bernardino has been preliminarily attributed to the terrorists feelings towards Israel which is a large recipient of aid from the US. The US has meddled in this mess for the last 60 plus years and continues to this day yet we blame everything on the others. Is it terrorism that we stay involved? Think about our monetary system and the petro dollar from Saudi Arabia.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)