Develop Some Killer Features for the New Niche Sites

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 8 years ago

Niche sites can develop great authority and brand recognition with useful features that cannot be found elsewhere.

Some sites have searchable and comprehensive data bases. Tattoo. com has lists of tattoo artists all across the US, for example.

Apps that calculate mortgage repayments, suggest the best way to build a surround sound system etc are commonplace now but gave sites that first used them a huge advantage.

Anyone got any bright ideas? Have flu presently, IQ of a newt, so none really from me...

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

Great point, but I don't think it's possible to think up an idea that would work for all the sites - I'd say it would be unique for each site.

Will Apseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think you might need to wait for the next big thing to come along in each niche then move quickly enough to make that thing your own.

3. agilitymach profile image92
    agilitymachposted 8 years ago

Just off the top of my head without even thinking much about it...  I know people love photos of pets.  Have a photo gallery/page/Pinterest type dealy on PetHelpful.  You can use the best photos on the pet Hubs maybe?  Link the photos to the Hubs for extra views?  I know based on my FB newsfeed that people LOVE pictures of animals.

Best pet photos of the day, or week or whatever could be a good front page feature or a good foot of the page feature on particular pages. UK newspapers offer best pics of the week slideshows and I have a habit of looking at them. If there was a steady supply of good pics might be OK to post on Facebook once a week.

The Pinterest idea could be very good. I suppose that would mean a lot of hotlinking, though.

1. agilitymach profile image92
        agilitymachposted 8 years agoin reply to this

How it would all work computer wise, programming wise and SEO wise is beyond me. smile  I'm just a dumb dog trainer.  I know what my market likes, but I have no clue how or if that could be transferred to a website.

I hope you are feeling better today.

I'm no SEO guru. I only really look out for techniques that are actually blackhat and  likely to get me a penalty if I use them innocently.

I am not even sure if Pinterest uses hotlinking or just downloads images to its site. It seems to have no copyright issues although people sometimes complain that their images have been stolen.

A sort of 'pet pin' page sounds very attractive but you would have to link out to the source, maybe nofollow links, and then you would have to defend it against spam.

You could just invite users to contribute pics.

Thanks for your kind thought. Flu is almost over, but no exercise for a week. Been reduced to growling at cats but not actually chasing them (where cats=beer).

2. Lionrhod profile image78
      Lionrhodposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Oh lordy, I can see the Chihuahua spam now.

3. sallybea profile image94
      sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree, apparently they even have dogs at Crufts this year which have become famous on Instagram.  People are even going to Crufts especially to see them.

4. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 8 years ago

Trending topics would be really useful. For instance - on the 'Entertainment' niche site, there could be a section showing recent Entertainment news (such as the death of Harper Lee) and then link to articles about 'To Kill a Mockingbird'.

Haven't seen you for a long time, glad you are still around...

Any news section might be able to make use of Facebook'e new Instant Articles: https://instantarticles.fb.com/

The program is going to be open to any publisher soon. Quite what it means, how articles will be selected. how much revenue it delivers, how far it will benefit web traffic, is hard to say but it would be daft to get left out.

Of course, you need a steady supply of real news. HP is not blog or news orientated.  Maybe your idea of a link back to an article would be enough of a carrot to tempt hubbers to write news stuff. Or maybe there would be enough revenue to employ a full time professional journalist.

1. SimeyC profile image88
        SimeyCposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. Never really left - just stopped using the forums, and basically maintained. Was waiting for something to change on here - hoping the niche site idea is the one that stabilizes traffic...

5. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 8 years ago

Forgot about this thread. How about ask an expert? A place for readers to post questions. Might get some good titles out of it.

And also 'Suggest a Page'. A place for people to suggest subjects that could be covered.

This is how they do it on Wikihow: http://www.wikihow.com/Special:RequestTopic

And this is a list of pet related topics that people think should be covered: http://www.wikihow.com/Special:ListRequ … nd+Animals

1. agilitymach profile image92
      agilitymachposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Interesting idea.

2. Lionrhod profile image78
      Lionrhodposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This is much more on the line with what I see as useful.

Seriously...I can stare into my puppy's eyes all day. I really don't need other cute pics. (They better be really special and funny.) I need training tips, health tips, that sort of thing. What will extend our lives together or make our time together more fun?

6. Lionrhod profile image78
    Lionrhodposted 8 years ago

If PetHelpful or any other niche site wants to position themselves at the front of the pack, they need to offer a service that hasn't been offered before.

I think my dogs are the cutest on the planet. You think yours are. Posting oh-so-cute pics nominalizes the PetHelpful brand to "yet another one of the 6 bajillion sites that have cute pet pics."

If PetHelpful wants to use the power of their brand then we need to find a way to make it EASY for pet owners to find simple, healthy, economical and earth friendly answers to their problems and challenges.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)