I need more options for organizing my Hubs by groups and sites

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Doc Snow profile image87
    Doc Snowposted 7 years ago

With over 100 Hubs published, I need organization.

First, the loss of the 'group' feature was a real problem in terms of keeping track of my Hubs, and I regret it.  It used to be my main organizational tool, as it essentially let me search my catalog in a thematic way.  Something of the sort would be an extremely helpful  future addition.  Can the HubPowers consider this?  Alternatively, some sort of actual 'search' feature would be helpful in attempting to access particular Hubs for updating, editing, or reference.

Second, I'd like to have some input into the sorting of some Hubs onto niche sites.  So far, I'm not crazy about the results, in that some Hubs which belong together have been separated.  The most gratuitous example is my book reviews.  So far, two have been moved onto Letterpile, which seems appropriate:

<snipped>Mark-Lynass-Six-Degrees-A-Summary-Review
    <snipped>Climate-Wars-A-Review

However, that leaves many other 'summary reviews' which logically belong there.  I suspect that eventually, they will tend to gravitate there as all Hubs are reviewed/edited.  But how long will it take? In the case of the "Six Degrees" Hub, there are six auxiliary Hubs which are now 'marooned' on Hubpages, and I suspect it that it will be a long time before that changes, as none of them are high traffic (nor are intended/expected to be).  Hopefully the links all still work…

Also, some Hubs would be very appropriate on some niche sites, and might do better there.  For instance, I have a appreciation of the Doors "Strange Days" album:

<snipped>Strange-Days-Again-Remembrance-And-The-Doors-Sophomore-Album

I suspect it would get a bit more love on Spinditty than languishing where it is on HP, so I'd love to help speed up the relocation process.

Which leads me to a suggestion:  how about utilizing the power of crowdsourcing to accelerate the realignment of our articles?  It shouldn't be crazy hard:  just make available a form for author nominations for such things.  Yes, someone--algorithm or human or both--has to process that.  But it would speed up the realignment enormously if that could be implemented, and would also increase author involvement and engagement across our platforms.

How 'bout it, HubPowers?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

What you're not getting is that the team makes the decisions here, not the writers.  Sometimes they do listen, but in the end, it's their ball game.

I, too, hated it when the groups left, but that was a decision the team felt to be necessary for business reasons, and it won't be coming back.

If this helps, I save every article on my word processor.  I group them into categories there so I can find them easily.  I also keep a spreadsheet of grouped article titles.  This makes it very easy for me to find the info I need.

As for the niche sites, the titles are set and it is up to the team to choose the hubs they wish to place and where they wish to place them.  So far, most of them have done well.  I'm sure if the team sees problems, they'll make updates.

Remember that HP is a business.  They are the people who have made the investment in it, not us.  We are the people who are the cogs that make the wheel turn.  Grouping together to try to push the team into making decisions they don't think are wise would be a terrible mistake.

Doc Snowposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I definitely get that HP make the calls.  Hence my appeal to 'em.

2. Doc Snow profile image87

I'm not trying to create a 'them against us' scenario here; not sure where you got that idea.

Just making a suggestion--well, several suggestions.  Call me naive, but I think in most cases people are willing to consider ideas, and that even can include 'power structures.'

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

The HP team definitely takes suggestions into account, but in the end, they have to choose what is best to do to keep the site up and running.  Some of the things you suggested have already been decided upon, so what is the point of bringing them up again!  It's not "them vs. us", but it IS a matter of being realistic about the situation.  Making suggestions about issues that are already done and gone is a waste of time and will not resolve any related issues.

2. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 7 years agoin reply to this

In terms of organizing Hubs into groups, you might want to consider a Hub by paradigmsearch called "How to Make or Create an Online Bookmarks Web Page or Website - Organizing Your Links". I've never used his suggestion myself but it might be an option for organizing Hubs.

2. Marisa Wright profile image83
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

The bottom line is that HubPages has created the niche sites in an attempt to please Google, so the main criteria they're using to choose Hubs is, obviously, the ones that please Google (i.e. the ones that are getting the most Google traffic).   Once they've selected those, they look at the site and pick some less-successful Hubs to round out categories that are a bit thin.

They are not interested in our opinion of our own Hubs - after all, writers are notorious for being the worst judges of their own work. They're also not interested in asking Hubbers to nominate each others' work - because we all know there would be an element of friendship and favouritism at work (you nominate my Hub and I'll nominate yours).  That would only waste the staff's time.  So I think you just have to be patient and see how it pans out.

If your Hubs are successful enough to get transferred to the niche hubs then you won't need Groups to organise them.

Oh, I'll still need the organizational help--particularly since, Fate willing, the Hub count will keep growing.  There just aren't enough niche sites, compared to Hubs.

3. paperfacets profile image86
    paperfacetsposted 7 years ago

My organization is clicking the Forever count in My Account. The Hubs that have the low visits are the ones I am improving, deleting or moving.

I have one of three places I can move a good Hub to.

On the profile Page just under the 'In the Spotlight' is SHOW All. Click the drag down. It has all the Hubs organized in the categories you have put them in.

Good tip!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)