Giving the GOP its 2016 Prez election outcome post-Mortem in advance

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (105 posts)
  1. Credence2 profile image79
    Credence2posted 7 years ago

In this interesting article from the Washington Post, just love those pretty maps and displays, it reveals a 'checkmate' scenario for the GOP, an outcome of which there is a little chance of escape.

All those 'troublesome' Minority voters are tipping the scales. Their demographic percentages are increasing and they have trended toward voting in larger numbers since 2004. When I combine that with recent court rulings forcing the GOP to back away from supressing the vote, I will witness the great pachyderm fall.

It was also notice that under the 'electoral college', Democrats have a structural advantage, that is not going to be dislodged anytime soon.

I guess that the GOP will have to do some serious soul searching, since nothing is left in the bag of tricks, or become a much diminished influence in AMERICAN politics.

Hope that you all are having a great day!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the … /#comments

1. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Voter Suppression... Hrmph! We've been down that road, but I do agree that the GOP has structural problems that look deadly.

Even as a fan of the Electoral College, I can see the problems pointed out. You damn Democrats all flock together. But just consider what we would have without it - mob rule. I also agree it is more than the current GOP can fix. But... will 2020's GOP be 2016's GOP?

My crystal ball says the revolution spoken of by many strongly right-wing folks, will be in their party, not American streets. That is what I think their "soul-searchng" will find. I can see a 2020 GOP that could be more attractive to larger segments of minorities, and, speak to the center right moderates the 2016 GOP threw away.  But 2020 sure won't be your father's GOP.

GA

Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Good that you can clearly see the writing on the wall.

While I am not necesarily keen on the flyover regions of America (with the exception of COLORADO, of course) they have a right to fair representation. As the Founding Fathers, in their wisdom, took in population as well as regional concerns as part of the electoral process. Without the Electoral College, why should candidates waste their time campaigning in sparsely populated regions?

Of course, well educated, culturally diverse people are more likely than not, Democrats.

There is a role for a 'conservative party' to balance the excesses on the other side. The current reactionary standard of the GOP is not making it. A considerable reorientation will be necessary if the party is to survive into the future.

The GOP can be successful with minorities as it was with AFRICAN-Americans up to 70 years after the Civil War. They can do it again if they want to by making themselves relevant and taking seriously the concerns of people that they have been undermining.

I would welcome back a source of responsible leadership as a father would welcome a wayward son back into the fold.

2. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 7 years agoin reply to this

A fair statement, and I agree that the GOP will do some soul searching and emerge as a different party, although I don't know if it will happen as quickly as 2020.

2. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 7 years ago

Yes, while I do not want Democratic voters to become complacent and stay away from the polls, there are not many realistic scenarios where Donald can win.  The demographics are just too daunting and the current GOP has actually lost ground in that regard.

Yes, the only way that the GOP can win the against the DEMS is if massive amounts of voters stay home, and I mean Massive. As contentious as the election season has been, I doubt that that would be a probable outcome.

3. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 7 years ago

*yawn*  Same old, same old.  "We will WIN!" (cheers)  "Because I"M THE BEST!!" (cheers) "And my opponent has BAD HAIR!" (cheers) "And the AMERICAN PEOPLE want ME!" (cheers) "And nobody would ever vote for my opponent!" (cheers)

Stating just the fact,Sir, just the facts. I am sure that even Fox News and breitbart are aware of the GOP and its moribund state.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Sounds more like desperation than facts to me.  With her polls falling, the last ditch effort to convince people to follow the mob to Clinton, without the mob actually being there.

Just another political ploy, then, to manipulate an electorate that doesn't care enough to actually question empty political rhetoric.  You should have been at the convention (either one); this kind of thing is all that is produced there, either.

1. profile image0
          ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Actually  , you might be wrong , the Clintons are  very close to the "mob ."
          Oh , sorry , you meant the other mob didn't you .

lol  That isn't much better, though.

2. Credence2 profile image79

I thought you were from Idaho, not Missouri. I guess that you will have to see for yourself, this coming November.

3. profile image0

Wow, do you have a factual rebuttal at all?  I would think this map would make Democrats more complacent and less likely to flock to the polls to support Hillary, as it makes it appear the election is in the bag for the Dems.

A rebuttal to what?  Empty and meaningless political rhetoric? 

But let me ask you - do you see people mostly rooting for the underdog?  Or for what they perceive as a winner, thus making themselves one of the winning group?  What does that say about the tactic of declaring winners long before the race is run as nothing but another political ploy? 

People vote based on how the hair is combed, on which is the better looking, on the basis of skin color or sex - what makes you think they won't vote for a "winner" if the alternative is wasting their vote on a "loser"?

Honestly, PP, everything I hear from the candidates and a great deal of what I see on these forums is nothing but that - empty political rhetoric.  Coupled with unwarranted insinuations and outright lies, of course.

1. Live to Learn profile image60
              Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The lies are sickening. It's making it much easier to stomach Trump.

I find the insinuations and innuendoes nearly as bad.  They are being said for no more reason than to convince people that something is true, when it either isn't or the truth isn't known. 

As such they are as much lie as a bold faced one.

I agree.

2. IslandBites profile image90
                IslandBitesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Like I said, cold feet, huh?

It's been so obvious lately.

If you care to elaborate, I'm listening.

If you are simply posting drivel for drivel's sake; let me know so I can stop listening.

Thanks.

1. IslandBites profile image90
                    IslandBitesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Now that is official, you're changing your tune.

2. profile image0

That is a completely unfair comment.  We are talking actual facts, statistics, demographics.  No one mentioned anything frivolous or trivial.

4. colorfulone profile image77
    colorfuloneposted 7 years ago

If, Hillary wins the election, will this be the last so called election we have?  The Democrats openly stole the primary from Bernie followers, he should have been the nominee because he actually won the populous vote.

I think it will be more like the American Soviet Union style.

1. colorfulone profile image77
      colorfuloneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Flashback: Hillary susperdelegate bragged about DNC plan to steal nomination months ago.

Why your vote doesn't count Democrats
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hic8c7I3gmY

Listen to the Hillary super-delegate talk about how the system is rigged.

You kind of left the link out in your reply to me PP.

1. profile image0

What are you talking about with regard to a link? I have no clue.

Bernie lost the popular vote. By a lot.

2. profile image0

While there is evidence that the DNC favored Hillary, there is no evidence of actual illegal activity, at least not that I have seen so far.  To say that Hillary "stole" the election is not borne out by any evidence.

BREAKING NEWS: The evidence from the hacked DNC emails was published by Wikileaks.

1. profile image0

Lol, then please show me the evidence of a crime.

Who was talking about a "crime"? 

I said, "The evidence from the hacked DNC emails was published by Wikileaks."  Go find the information mainstream media seems to want to hide. It cannot be that hard for you to find the Wikileaks DNC emails.

She stole the populous votes.  In the election law they were robbed and the delegates were robbed, because of Hillary's super-delegates. Bernie (Benedict Arnold) was controlled opposition right from the start. I feel for the Bernie followers getting robbed.  It was rigged!

1. profile image0

You asserted that she stole the election from Bernie. It is incumbent upon you to be able to back that up. I have seen evidence that the DNC favored Hillary. I have seen no evidence that the DNC or Hillary stole the election from Bernie. If you have, please provide it.

Who knows what the outcome might have been but once a cheater, always a cheater. The fact that Sanders laid down and took it is the only surprise.

You know, I never doubted for a minute that he wouldn't "stand down" and do what was needed to unify Democrats in the fall. The mark of a leader and great human being. Somebody might ask that of Ted Cruz?

1. profile image0

Right on.

2. wilderness profile image95

Sad, isn't it?  That the #1 priority is to unify Democrats and maintain the power of the hidden faces in the shadows.  The talking head out front is only secondary; what matters is the party leaders.  Not even the country matters compared to those shadows, the movers and shakers behind the Democratic Party. 

And this is what we term "leadership". sad

3. Live to Learn profile image60

LOL. LOL. And, OMG OMG.

Are you serious? That's the mark of a leader?

No. That is the mark of a person who puts party above ideals. Who puts party before conscience.

Not someone I can respect. I don't respect Ted Cruz, but I do respect the fact that he would not 'step in line'. What type of an a** does that? Oh, yeah. Bernie. I guy I once respected.

2. colorfulone profile image77

You must have mis-read what I said,  read it again.  I may not have exactly worded just right for you, but I said "Bernie followers".

"If, Hillary wins the election, will this be the last so called election we have?  The Democrats openly stole the primary from Bernie followers, he should have been the nominee because he actually won the populous vote.

I think it will be more like the American Soviet Union style."

Talk about splitting hairs.

1. profile image0

OMG, Bernie did not win the popular vote. Where in the heck did you get that false information, truth seeker that you claim to be?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls … count.html

2. Credence2 profile image79

Part of GOP strategy is to attempt to play disaffected Sandernistas against Clinton. But all progressives know who is waiting on the other side of the ravine as the alternative, that is unifying in itself. So, it won't work.....

1. profile image0

Especially when they are so consistently ill informed.

5. Live to Learn profile image60
    Live to Learnposted 7 years ago

After seeing what complete disregard the establishment (both parties) has for the will of the people in this electoral process thus far it will be a curiosity to see what our collective disgust decides on come election day.

Hear, hear!

6. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 7 years ago

A rebuttal to the facts in the article. Honestly the rest of your rant is so unrelated to the article, I'm choosing not to respond to it.

7. Alternative Prime profile image58
    Alternative Primeposted 7 years ago

GOP Republican CONervative "Post-Mortem"?

Next time, instead of another IMMORAL, Un-Ethical & Racist DISASTER like Trump, the GOP might wanna' just "DIG Up" the Remains of BERNIE Madoff, sweep em' into a Hermetically SEALED Jar, and send em' out on the CAMPAIGN Trail ~

At least it will have a CHANCE to win & his Big Uncontrollable Anti-American MOUTH  won't have the opportunity to BURY him ~ smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)