eBay Program Retirement

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Christy Kirwan profile image91
    Christy Kirwanposted 7 years ago

Today marks the first step toward HubPages retiring the eBay Program. Please visit today's blog post for the full details and timeline and feel free to post here if you have any questions.

1. sallybea profile image95
      sallybeaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That is a shame, another loss of earnings but then I was probably one of the few who used it anyway.

2. Venkatachari M profile image82
      Venkatachari Mposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I don't feel sorry for it. I have only two products and I can willingly replace them with amazon ones.

3. Ashish Dadgaa profile image46
      Ashish Dadgaaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for updates @Christy Kirwan

2. theraggededge profile image96
    theraggededgeposted 7 years ago

Probably a good thing.

3. robhampton profile image92
    robhamptonposted 7 years ago

This SUCKS! I wasn't "raking it in" by any means with the eBay capsule but it wasn't bad. I'll trust that hubpages.com will continue it's success from the launch of the niche sites. That was a very brilliant and successful move. The editors are great and hubpages possibly has the potential to be up next to wikapedia. The best articles are moved so it takes away the whole "content farm" scenario. When Google crawls, it seems to like what it sees on the niche sites. Keep it up HP! Great job

4. Chriswillman90 profile image92
    Chriswillman90posted 7 years ago

I've never used the eBay program so I'm fine with that, but I do feel bad for those who relied on it quite a bit.

However if it only represented a mere 0.2 percent in overall site earnings, then I agree that it's best to retire it because it serves little purpose. I'd rather the team work on the stuff that matters than something so minor.

5. Solaras profile image94
    Solarasposted 7 years ago

Would you HP staff consider affiliating with Sears.com. I think they are the 3rd largest marketplace and might be easier to maintain.

6. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 7 years ago

No loss to me: I haven't earned a penny from there in some months even though i still have a few capsules left. Just don't eliminate the Amazon capsules! smile

1. Christy Kirwan profile image91
      Christy Kirwanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

We have no plans to get rid of Amazon. smile

7. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 7 years ago

I just looked into how much I ever made via ebay. Well it's paid for a single domain name is what I can say big_smile

Definitely not surprised that it's being sacked. Anything that frees up wasted time for work on other features is a good move IMO smile

8. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 7 years ago

I eliminated all my eBay capsules a long time ago since it just wasn't worth using. I can see that from a management point of view it's also not worth it. So this is a good move. Amazon works very well when used appropriately, and that's a keeper.

9. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

eBay continues to be a good earner for me on my own sites (though who knows how long that will last!), but the way we had to use them on HubPages meant they were never very effective.  Probably a good call.

1. Lipnancy profile image78
      Lipnancyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hey Melissa, Would you ever consider writing a hub on how to use then effectively on a blog. I would be interested in reading that. Just a thought.

10. alikhan3 profile image93
    alikhan3posted 7 years ago

That is a very good step indeed. I have never found eBay to be effective on hubs probably because it only showcased items that were being sold on bids on eBay, and not "Buy Now" items.

It had little chance to work in that scenario as very few relevant products fall in the bidding category.

11. TessSchlesinger profile image60
    TessSchlesingerposted 7 years ago

Never worked for me anyway. smile

12. earner profile image81
    earnerposted 7 years ago

Getting the right product to show up for me became tricky after it started only showing top sellers (and similar constraints).  Living in the UK it was hard enough to get to the point where the right product was available at all ... so being restricted only to top sellers meant that mostly the modules became increasingly redundant. 

I've done OK from ebay in the past 2.5 years since it became integrated with the Hubpages' system.  Over the years it's added up to the value of a cheap week's holiday in an 0-star rated caravan park.  smile

Amazon's tricky too - as specific books I want to refer to are .uk products, sometimes I'm lucky with the ISBN and sometimes not.  Looking at the Amazon income it's 1/3rd of the ebay stuff.

One less thing to fanny about with when writing hubs I guess - we used the be encouraged (aka 'forced') into using everything possible on a page; now we're being told to do the opposite. 

Actually, I just checked my Hubpages' Ad Programme for the same period and Amazon + eBay were probably about 30% of my income.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)