Should Ds Filibuster Gorsuch or Wait For the Next Nominee?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (38 posts)
  1. My Esoteric profile image85
    My Esotericposted 7 years ago

My thought is No, they should go ahead and filibuster Judge Gorsuch now and not wait.  The fear of filibustering now is that the Rs might use the "Nuclear Option" - using a simple majority to change Senate rules to eliminate filibustering for Supreme Court nominees; just as Democrats did for other judges and cabinet nominees (Rs were letting any through)

Their purpose is most likely two-fold, to prevent the Supreme Court from tilting far to the Right again and as payback for McConnell not bringing Judge Garland to a vote (or even beginning the process) for almost a year.

The thing is, if the Ds choose to let Gorsuch through, giving the Court a 4-4-1 flavor, which tilts right because of Kennedy, and put up a fight for the next Uber-conservative Trump nominates, then they almost guarantee a 5-3-1 or 5-4 far-Right Court.  The Rs will have every reason to trigger the nuclear option in that event.

Alternatively, the Ds could take a chance that they gain control of the Senate back in 2018, a hard task given who will be running.  If they do, then they can pull a McConnell and refuse to process anybody they don't like.  But that is a lot of ifs.

Consequently, the Ds might as well give it a shot now as their best chance.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I don't think you understand what got Trump elected to the office.  Hint: playing political games for revenge or refusing to do the job because you might not like the result is a part of it.

2. lions44 profile image94
      lions44posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Why would you filibuster him?  What are they against? The man is incredibly qualified. Whether you like Trump or not (and I don't), Gorsuch deserves to be appointed.

1. RJ Schwartz profile image87
        RJ Schwartzposted 7 years agoin reply to this

He was A+ rated and unanimously confirmed to the lower court - why is he suddenly unqualified?

2. wilderness profile image96

No he doesn't (deserve to be appointed).  The proposal came from Trump and that's all it takes for the D's to vote against him.  He could be the best judge in 241 years, but Trump proposed him so he's out.

As Esoteric points out, petty partisan politics take priority over the country.

My Esotericposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Do you mean like the Rs opposed anything and everything from Obama.

If you think the Taney court was a great court (Dred Scott) or how about the Chase court (evisceration of the 14th and 15th Amendment) or maybe the Fuller Court (Separate but Equal) then yes Gorsuch will be a great Justice.

Do you think he would have dissented in Brown v Board of Education (overturned Separate but Equal)?  How about being in the majority on Heart of Atlanta Motel Inc. v. U.S. and Katzenbach v. McClung which upheld the 1964 Civil RIghts Act.  Or Miranda v. Arizona. Or Jones v. Alfred H. Mayer Co. which overturned several Fuller Court decisions that had reversed the 1866 Civil Rights Act

The R's opposed, playing the game.  And that means the D's should do worse, posturing and pretending they can do the same thing for years instead of months.  THAT really makes good sense doesn't it - a loud whine that somebody else did it so they should to.

And that's exactly the behavior that put Trump in the White House.  Whether D's or R's, it's what put him there - either learn the lesson the first time around or lose your job in 2 years.

McConnell poisoned the well and needs to be punished for it.  Even if he had not done that to President Obama.  But, if the goal is simply to have a fair Court, then opposing Gorsuch makes a lot of sense on its own.

I am guessing the far Right expects their presidents to be supermen.  By mid-March 2009 your propaganda thought that Obama should have fixed everything by then.  Now you expect Trump to play God and change human and political nature.  It isn't going to happen.  He is Not the CEO/dictator of a real estate company, but he Is the President of the United States who must deal with the Real World and not the fictional one he has created and duped you into believing.

LOL  With "fair" meaning another liberal leaning judge voting his conscience rather than the law.  big_smile

But the D's aren't either "punishing" McConnell OR looking for that "fair" judge.  They're just having a tantrum - "You did it so we will, too!", same as any child does.  To the detriment of the nation.

No, God won't change political nature.  The people will, one legislator at a time if necessary, beginning with the office of President.  Once more, you seem to "forget" just how Trump landed where he did, or why.

In this case it is to the benefit of America.  Garland was that "fair" judge, so is Kennedy.  Since I have read Breyer's book, Making Our Democracy Work: A Judges View, and agree with most of what he said, I consider him "fair".

"In this case it is to the benefit of America."

In your opinion, an opinion that very few seem to agree with.  But you and I both know that isn't why the D's have decided there will be no new justice, and THAT is the topic, not whether President's choice is a good one.

3. My Esoteric profile image85

If Gorsuch was a Centrist or Moderate then nobody, except the Republicans of course, would oppose him.  But he isn't a Moderate, he is hard-Right (for the most part) who will rule against the People like Thomas, Scalia, Alito, and Roberts do much of the time.  Those 4 would fit perfectly on the Taney court that eviscerated the 14th and 15th Amendments in the 1880s (yes, that includes Thomas).

A perfect world would be a Court foll of Kennedys and Garlands.  Then one could start believing in the Court and respecting its decisions.

The bottom line is that regardless of how qualified Gorsuch is, American civil rights cannot afford another Taney Court and his penchant to rule as if today was 1790.

3. colorfulone profile image78
      colorfuloneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Well, I have to question if Gorsuch can be a judge on the Supreme Court.

In 2005 Neil Gorsuch worked directly for Attorney General Gunzalous.  He, Gorsuch initiated and enhanced several programs that were totally illegal and immoral. The enhancement of interrogation, rendition and torture. He was key to the torture implementation and legitimacy of using torture against so-called terrorists.  This came after 9/11.

So we have a descent man from Colorado who tells you how humble he is, and really he is very bright. 

Diane Feinstein, whom I don't like, but I think she was right to push in on the key issue. The moral integrity of Neil Gorsuch does not lie in his 48 years of his life, it lies in the 14 months that he was a co-conspirator with Bush, Chaney, Wolfowitz, Condoleezza Rice and Romney to implement Patriot's Act, increase terrorism and increase interrogation.

Does that make Gorsuch an amoral man that has been corrupted?
      Does that make Gorsuch a Neocon and a con-artist?
      Neocons are a very dangerous group because they want war.   

Credit to Dr. Steve Pieczenik for talking about this with Alex Jones on Infowars.

2. Reason and Facts profile image77
    Reason and Factsposted 7 years ago

Democrats should simply say, until the FBI investigation is complete, we don't feel it is prudent to confirm any nominee of President Trump, especially to a lifetime appointment.

Scalia's seat has been open for over a year.  Clearly the Rs have demonstrated there's no urgency to fill the seat.

To those who say he's qualified, I've never seen more non-answers to direct questions.  What is your stance on this?  Well, gosh, golly, gee, I really can't say what my position on that would be.

1. profile image0
      ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

If your name was true to form , You'd realize your own collusion with the leftist  plague ,opposition to progress  .   
      Liberals should change their self naming from Progressive to Digressive .

Conservatism, by definition and practice, is backward looking.  Most conservatives supported slavery and opposed the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments as well as women's right to vote, civil rights, individualism, etc.

1. profile image0

How false ,  Lets really look into slavery  as it was you who  brought it up .    Democrats invented  the whole slavery issue by  the constant support of slavery  ,   Look at the true supporters all the way from the beginning  and you will see ,  when progress away from slavery was the issue it was liberal opposition  , even when it was moving towards supporting slavery , it was liberally motivated .   

I always find that intellectualism among liberals only goes so deep,I suggest you  dig deeper into who really "supported " blacks in America more .

Conservatism   :means exactly its definition , the" backwards looking " is on display right now in every liberal stronghold in America  , NYC,    LA. SF.  Seattle  , Chicago , Baltimore ,  Houston , Detroit , Atlanta ,  New Orleans ,   Your liberal political" leadership" is proven time and time again .    BLM  has only to look into their own cities leadership party to see the true enemy ! Look them up , don't be afraid.

Please don't confuse conservatism and liberalism with a political Party.  Over the long-run they are not related, even though in the short-run they might be.  So your statement should be "Conservatives invented  the whole slavery issue by  the constant support of slavery" 

Also, please don't confuse liberalism or progressivism with the inner-city poverty you are referring to.  While liberals try to alleviate their poverty, conservatism do nothing or actually make it worse through their policies and philosophy of social hierarchy.

"While liberals try to alleviate their poverty"

No they don't - all they seem to know is to throw money at it, which is destined to fail miserably.  Unfortunately, they seem incapable of figuring that out, so keep throwing money...money that belongs to someone else.

1. profile image0

That's more than  Obvious in Detroit Chicago LA baltimore.  S f.    Why won't they see this

It's a "feel good" thing, I think - they don't know HOW to actually alleviate poverty, yet it really is sad to see it.  So throw money at it, giving the poor more than they have and creating that good feeling that you have "helped" someone in need - next month or year we can repeat the process.  Altruism does make us feel better, and that it permanently locks the poor into the clutches of politics makes it even better.

And the conservative solution is to just let them suffer without lifting a finger,.SAD as Trump would say.

The conservative mantra is just as you quoted "Altruism does make us feel better, and that it permanently locks the poor into the clutches of politics makes it even better." which sounds good to conservatives but is nevertheless devoid of fact.

3. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
    Kathleen Cochranposted 7 years ago

Confirming a Supreme Court nominee of a president who is under investigation for illegal interference in his own election seems irresponsible for a governing body that has sworn to protect and defend our constitution. You are exactly right. If a year wasn't too long to wait, a few more months won't be either.

Wait.  Do you mean we are actually confirming Trump as a judge?  Or that because Trump was involved the evil has contaminated Gorsuch, a completely different person?

And do you mean that it's fine to ignore the designated duties of Congress in favor of political posturing?

Well, it must be what the people want for they gave Trump a "massive" win and firmly established the GOP and its philosophy as rulers of America AND "And do you mean that it's fine to ignore the designated duties of Congress in favor of political posturing?" is what they think is the way you are supposed to do it.

Ds are just following the R philosophy.

Wonderful.  Then get rid of both sides if they refuse to do their job.  Exactly what is needed and what I've said all along.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)