What is the Alternative? Someone Please Tell Me!!!

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (47 posts)
  1. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 14 years ago

There is much debate about the health care reform proposed by the President.  I would like to know, from those who oppose it, what would be a good alternative?  I really want to know...

Thanks

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

If you ask me - good ole times when patient paid the doctor, and there were enough doctors. If you ask people who lived like 50-60 years ago, may be even younger, they do remember those times. And yes, poor people got their healthcare, either free of charge, or paid by rich people.

not gonna argue over this. You asked, i honestly answered. smile

1. ledefensetech profile image69
      ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I second Misha.

1. profile image50
        badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, I love the sheep smile

Seeing as he grew up under socialized healthcare, I'm more apt to believe him rather than you.

1. profile image50

Proving my point you are a sheep lol, can you not think for yerself you loser !

1. tksensei profile image59
              tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ah, being a D-bag as performance art again? Gosh, how 'edgy'... roll

2. smokenchic profile image62
      smokenchicposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with yeah misha...but do yeah think the doctor would accept my cow as payment today as in yester years...lol big_smile

1. Jane@CM profile image60
        Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is still practiced in many small towns around our state.  You might not get a cow, but you might get a freezer full of beef smile

1. profile image50

Lol only in America, the land of the free !

2. megs78 profile image60
          megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hutterites still practice it...I think bartering is cool!

It's not that efficient.  If bartering is so great, why did the use of money spread from ancient Lydia in the first place?

are you serious?  did you not 'feel' the sarcasm in what I just wrote?

Sorry my sarcasm detector must be broken.  Either that or I've been spending too much time arguing with naifs.  big_smile

3. Rochelle Frank profile image92
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree -- I wrote about how my parents did it 50- 60 years ago.
      http://hubpages.com/hub/Do-it-Yourself- … -Insurance

I don't know if that strategy would work today.

Medical costs have skyrocketed since then, partly because doctors have to charge more to make up for the uninsured people they treat and partly because of the huge investments in all of the diagnostic technology that is now available.

And because we have fewer doctors and more people, per capita than we did back then.

4. lrohner profile image69
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When I was a kid (I was born 50 years ago), doctors actually made house calls. My Dad worked for the federal government, so paying for it wasn't an issue. But it was completely different back then. Everyone had insurance.

Does that mean I agree with Obama's plan? Hell no. Maybe we should have had a healthcare Czar many years ago to make sure that insurance rates didn't skyrocket like they did and that malpractice suits for gazillions of dollars weren't awarded for frivolous stuff.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image92
        Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No "everyone" didn't have insurance. My dad was self- employed, health insurance was just beginning to grow and it was quite expensive compared to earnings back then.

1. profile image50

Yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, love the 40s !

2. ledefensetech profile image69

That's because there were fewer people and more doctors back then.  When you have a population of 100 million and 500,000 doctors, doctors do housecalls.  When you have a population of 300 million and 600,000 doctors you make doctor's visits.

1. profile image50

Omg its the new Einstein lol !

5. megs78 profile image60

I don't want to argue either.  Thanks for answering.  But is this ever going to happen?

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Definitely not as a direct intended result of Obama's plan smile

6. Aya Katz profile image82
      Aya Katzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure I like that rich person/poor person distinction. Most people are not rich, so in a free market doctors couldn't afford to charge what an ordinary person could not pay. If they did, people would seek out a different doctor.

One of the problems we're dealing with  is government licensing of physicians. This creates a monopoly. The other, more obvious problem is government mandated insurance.

1. Misha profile image63

Well, poor/rich was mentioned because of current concern that poor people don't get a healthcare, so from that perspective they are not average people, they are really poor. smile

2. Debby Bruck profile image66
        Debby Bruckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good Points Aya
        this is the first time I've visited forums

3. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Ah, but oncologists never made housecalls did they?
    Or open heart surgeons?
    The sophistication of medicine as practiced today is, quite frankly, expensive. Somebody's gotta pay for all the equipment in the OR. And nurses are paid quite well, too.

That said, it would be lovely to have more GPs (the old fashioned term that has been replaced by PCP) who have one-on-one relationships with their patients. Of course students would need to be incented rather than disincented to become doctors. These days the money's in highly specialized work.

One thing that seems to be missing in the debates (and this is a great topic, BCC) is discussion of alternative medicine and moving patient care to physicians assistants for more routine appointments. How do people feel about that?

That's why I'm working on becoming a PA.  It's a reaction of the market to the shortage of GP's.  If you leave things along a way will be found to meet the demand people have for healthcare.

Your first examples are things I could consider candidates for real insurance, insurance should not be used to pay for doctor's visits.  Even so, new medical technology are in some cases better than traditional oncology treatments or bypass surgery, etc.  A free market would put pressure on lowering costs.  You can't keep someone as a patient, after all, if you let them die.

4. Mighty Mom profile image77

Hi Megs78,
    Not sure if this 'advice' is going to be helpful or not. Generally speaking, the only way people can detect sarcasm in these forums is by the liberal use of smilies big_smile.
    However, overuse of smilies will get you attacked for using too many smilies.sad
    Been there. Felt that!

Do we have the rolleyes emoticon?  That one is great for sarcastic comments.

2. megs78 profile image60

advice taken!  thanks, I really thought though, that the sarcasm was pretty obvious. smile

5. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Come on MM, who can dare attacking the supergal? smile

6. Mighty Mom profile image77

LDT.
    Let's take a deep breath. Something MUST be wrong. One of us must be hallucinating, on drugs, or otherwise deranged (momentarily, anyway).
    We are, seemingly, in agreement on an issue in the politics forum.
    Can this really be happening? big_smile
    BTW, like your new avatar. MM

1. Misha profile image63

Oh, I second this smile

We may disagree, but we're both educated people.  We're sure to have some ideas in common.  I just don't put any trust in government or it's agents.  I've read too much history for that.

Thanks, I had that taken in my old hometown last year.  I'd like to be able to move back someday.

7. Mighty Mom profile image77

The rolleyes is not one of the options under "formatting tips" but I notice that some hubbers have access to really nifty animated emoticons. Not sure where they get them.

Who would dare attack Supergirl?
    I will give you three guesses and the first two don't count.
    And no, he is NOT in this discussion at the moment.

1. Misha profile image63

Umm, the best guess would The Darkside of the Hubpages?

8. Mighty Mom profile image77

That's interesting, LDT.
    You come from the land of white cars big_smile (at least from the background in that shot).

But personally, I agree with Thomas Wolfe.
    You Can't Go Home Again.

Oh I know, but St. Charles is a very lovely city.  Their Main Street has been restored and lined with very good restaurants and shops.  I took my fiance up there and she fell in love with the place.

9. Mighty Mom profile image77

Meg -- The sarcasm would only be obvious to people who know what Hutterites are (invisible smilie goes here to punctuate sarcasm).

smile

2. Misha profile image63

I don't, BTW tongue

3. ledefensetech profile image69

I figured Hutterites were like Amish or Mennonites maybe Shakers, but have to admit I don't know for sure either.

Youre right.  They are like the Amish.  However, I believe they have less severe rules.  For example, the girls are not supposed to wear makeup, but are known to come into stores and offer meat or dairy as payment for makeup.  They are shy, but nice.

Most of those groups are very nice.  The best part is that they live their lives and let everyone else do the same.  If we all did that, I think we'd see less conflict in our society.

10. Mighty Mom profile image77

I had a good friend from high school who went to college in Lancaster PA, neighborhood of the Amish. She said the culture clash when they came into town was interesting.

There deff is something to be said for the simple life (and I do NOT mean the TV show with Nicole Ritchie and Paris Hilton!)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)