What is your say about Obama's plans for health care?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)
  1. kareljones profile image57
    kareljonesposted 14 years ago

do you agree that he needs to take seriously the standards outlined by Grijalva and the Congressional Progressive Caucus.

2. Dark knight rides profile image59
    Dark knight ridesposted 14 years ago

I think that all the special interest groups have used fear and misinformation to make sure that the topic is about emotion rather than about what's actually best for the people of the US. What bothers me about the whole debate is that it shows American's are more concerned about holding onto what's "mine" than they are about the health, well-being and success of our nation.

Why can't people see that if we can provide reasonable health insurance for everyone, and make sure those in the health industry, especially the insurance companies, are looking out for the well being of the people who depend on them, rather than their profit margins, then we can all be more successful. If people can go to the doctor without having to file bankruptcy after, then we can all be assured of being healthier. And if we're healthier, we can be more productive, not just at work, but in our personal lives. That mean's fewer high expense claims for insurance companies to pay. That means more time with family and friends. Why does that thought bother people?

1. Michael Willis profile image68
      Michael Willisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Excellent point! I agree with you. This is why I watch C-Span so I can see the Congressional hearing, discussions and hear for the mouth of the people making decisions instead of watching TV Ads, reading newspaper and internet stories. I also prefer sending letters to my congressman and ask him/her their reasons for what they are doing. That way I can tell if they are listening or just blowing me off and following their own agenda.

3. Dark knight rides profile image59
    Dark knight ridesposted 14 years ago

Michael, that's great. I mean the whole point of forming the government we have was so the citizens have an opportunity to participate, to make their opinions known to the leaders. I think its great, and rare, to hear some one willing to invest their time in our country.
    Thank you.

4. Jery profile image59
    Jeryposted 14 years ago

I saw an interesting newspaper article the other day which compared residents opinions about the government provided health care in several of the countries that have it (Canada, Holland, etc.) I was surprised (after the big hoopla here) that the people who live there like it and feel they get good service. A large percentage were very happy with it. I think it would be a good thing here in the US, but with the government running it, it's bound to cost us an arm and a leg!

5. JohnnyComeLately profile image69
    JohnnyComeLatelyposted 14 years ago

Let's put it this way.  I buy my insurance through the individual market, and I'd have to write about 150 hubs a month just to pay the insurance bill.  Do we need reform?  Hell, yeah!

1. mythomark profile image42
      mythomarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

[So you want a national health plan.
      Have you been to your local post office lately.

I live in New York City. For years my post office had a little store for people to buy mailing supplies, tape, boxes, envelopes, stamps.  This kept the line for postal business to a reasonable size.

I spoke to one of the clerks one day.  He told me that this post office had the highest sales of those items, of any post office in the country. It was convenient, and well stocked.

A little over a year ago, for no reason, they ripped out the store and changed it to a dedicated passport desk.  Now it is closed most of the time, due to lack of interest, and the lines for postal service, and mailing supplies, all combined are three times longer.

Why am I talking about the USPS, in a hub about health care?  Stay with me. 

The USPS has been around what 200 years.  They have had 200 years to get it right, and they fail.

Can you imagine what would happen if the government was in charge of your health care.

Next!!

6. jiberish profile image80
    jiberishposted 14 years ago

This is my opinion.  I spend most of today reading the 'new' health plan.  I have read all the bills so far, and here is my conclusion.  First, in order to read and understand you have to have both the old and revised version side by side for reference.  Nothing much has changed but the verbiage, for example: on Illegals - they will be covered under the word 'residing'

(ii) is not such a citizen or national
    but is lawfully present in a State in the
    United States  (page229)

INDIVIDUALS RESIDING IN POSSESSIONS
    OF THE UNITED STATES.—Any individual who is a
    bona fide resident of any possession of the United
    States (as determined under section 937(a)) for any
    taxable year (and any qualifying child residing with
    such individual) shall be treated for purposes of this
    section as covered by acceptable coverage during
    such taxable year. (page 299)

As much as I agree that there needs to be reform, this bill is not it. But good luck to all who think it is.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)