Maybe Multiple Page Hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Len Cannon profile image88
    Len Cannonposted 14 years ago

A lot of my hubs tend to wind past 800 words into "too long" territory.  These are usually for the informative articles as compared to sales types.  I'm sure it would be a difficult fix and I'm equally sure that it's been brought up before, but I would love the opportunity to be able to split that up into two pages.

Yes, I'm aware I could turn it into two different hubs.  That is a decent stop game, but I think have page numbers (and one main URL) for a hub would be the best choice.  It'd help make sure ad impressions and keep longer topics from spanning too many screen lengths.

Obviously, I don't know how hubpages is coded or how difficult this would be to implement.  It certainly isn't NEGATIVELY effecting me at the moment, but I would certainly love to have the option.  Just one of those items at the top of my personal wishlist.

Thanks for looking this and double thanks to the hubpages team for helping me make way more money off of my silly articles than my personal blogs ever could have.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is what hub groups were designed for, although most people don't use them that way.  You do have to make separate hubs, but you can order them in a group and next and previous hub navigation will automatically be added.

2. darkside profile image65
    darksideposted 14 years ago

If HubPages made it an automatic thing, they'd likely just slap a number at the end of the URL.

And you can do that easily enough yourself.

Or whatever is on the 'second' page, pick out a good keyword phrase and make that your URL. It will be (slightly) more beneficial than having 2 or page2 at the end of the URL.

I'm working on a series of drum lessons and I'll be numbering them. Having them all in one hub would be far too long. People will be better off working on one lesson per hub. So we've got the ability to do it ourselves.

If anything it would only confuse newcomers to be given a page split option.

3. Whitney05 profile image84
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

1 page hubs is the best way to go. Create a series if you absolutely need to. Then if you wanted at the end of the series create a hub linking them all together.

I've had plenty of hubs longer than 800 words. As long as they are designed well and the layout looks good no one will notice if it's long. But, if you had just one huge block of text, it'll appear even longer.

In many cases, people probably wouldn't even click to see page two unless they're very interested in the topic and what you're saying about it.

1. Len Cannon profile image88
      Len Cannonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It isn't that I'm worried about losing people.  My top performer is just under 2000 words and has one of my highest view durations.  It is mainly focused on ad revenue as compared to amazon or ebay sales, so that value decreases once people have moved past the ads way up at the beginning.  This is even after I extended a capsule by combining two or three and putting in H2 headings instead to move a line of adds halfway down the page.

I think by including integrated page links (for instance the large, eye catching pagination at time: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic … 16,00.html) would be a way to increase revenue.  As it stands, that's something that can't be easily accomplished just by splitting a hub into multiple articles.

RE: Darkside's belief that it would be confusing to new users, I don't know if that would be true or not.  A text page break shouldn't drive too many people up the wall. It would certainly be easier to maintain than having to edit multiple hubs.

1. darkside profile image65
        darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

More page views isn't going to mean more money. Not unless you're getting paid for ad impressions instead of clicks. And the big news sites LOVE lots and lots of page views because it's a benchmark, for them, for popularity.

Lets just use the figure one million for an example. If a site has one million views per day, if they encourage (prompt or force) a reader to click through to another page to finish or continue reading that article, they then have 2 million views per day. And that means a lot to the likes of traditional news outlets that have an online presence. They have other means of monetizing their site in addition to, or instead of, pay per click ads.

As for making it easier to edit your pages by opening just one and being able to access all pages within that article... how often do you edit?

And wouldn't it just be easier to be on said hub and edit, then have to scroll down to part/page 5 of 10 and find the bit you need to change?

As things are, people can already do what you suggest. To implement a page system would complicate things not just for the programming team but also the users. It's adding a new level of "how do I do this?". Adding a new bell or whistle doesn't make it slicker, just trickier.

2. darkside profile image65
        darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Here you go, I made something for you wink

[1][2][3][NEXT PAGE>>]

3. Whitney05 profile image84
        Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can easily design your page to spread out your Adsense ads. You just have to play with it (mostly the length of the text capsules). It's not that hard though. (See my salad dressing hub, where the main right-aligned ad block is at the bottom and not the top of the page.)

As for Amazon and Ebay, place the ads throughout the hub, not just at the top or bottom. If you play with the revenue sources, it shouldn't be a problem.

If you open more hubs and link the series together, you're still creating page 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. But, this way you're setting up hubs that can also stand alone, but can have the capstone hub to link together, as well as links within the hubs to keep them together.

It is easily accomplished if you know how to set up  your hub so that it's designed to spread out your ads. Plus, like I said you'll have hubs that can stand alone if you write them in that way, but add info to another hub that's linked.

4. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

longer hubs with good content and information can be very successful. I was thinking of shortening my longest hub and then boom, traffic went up, score went up, has 2 red arrows next to it, so I decided to leave it as it is.  smile

congrats on that 100 on your avatar.

5. sunforged profile image72
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

I dont think its a bad idea.

On adsense focused hubs - after the fold you have pretty much lost your income opportunity

So it would be awesome if there was no such thing as "after the fold" lol

But, it really seems like the issue is just as easily handled at a personal level.

As darkside said, a new page, gets a new url, wouldnt you rather control that choice of words rather than have a random number or code tacked onto it ?

If you want to make another page every 300-400 words you certainly can, it actually would probably be a strong technique, use multiple keywords title variants, lots of interlinking - strong ad placement.

Dont really think it deserves hard-code implementation

6. Len Cannon profile image88
    Len Cannonposted 14 years ago

I'm not concerned about more page views, I'm interested in readers having more chances to click the ads. It isn't about artificially pumping up my page views, just that I have found that my best traffic AND earnings are when I'm writing comprehensively.  The only downside is that there's a lot of page space lost "after the fold" as sunforged mentioned.

I honestly don't see it being any more confusing for users than page breaks in Microsoft word would be.  A simple dotted line across that reads

end page 1
    - - - - - - - -
    begin page 2

shouldn't blow any minds.

I think it is easier to edit all of your work from one page.  Sunforged might have something in that it is easier to target different keywords by splitting it up. It is worth looking into.

I also think an integrated system would certainly look better. In no way am I discounting any difficulty in programing it, but I think that should concern the Hubpages team and not us.  If it is prohibitively difficult to implement, then we'll never see it and all will be well.  I don't think that's a reason to shoot it down on those grounds without insider knowledge though.

I do honestly appreciate your feedback though.  I will probably use your suggestions in the future.  I don't think there's anything absurd about the idea outright, though.

7. lakeerieartists profile image63
    lakeerieartistsposted 14 years ago

I think single page hubs are better and split between separate subtopics into more hubs like Darkside said.  I think readers will miss any but really obvious cues to go to page 2 or more unless it is really in their face.

Better off creating more hubs with more chances for clickouts.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)