It;s Life - but not as we know it Jim!

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (60 posts)
  1. The Bard profile image67
    The Bardposted 14 years ago

I've come across a lot of unadulterated nonsense in my time, but you Hubbers take the biscuit. This "hangout" excels itself on purile inanity.

Its not so much the title of the topics, which sound good initially, but it's the way that the threads eventually degenarate into twitteresque meaningless.

Most of the responses are one word, or if not then three.

I've looked at a few lately - take the one "A Dying Childs Last wishes" - a sound subject on a worthy cause, but as I see it, it has become nothing more than familier banter and a method to say nothing except "bumb".

I may not be the most erudite poster, but I also see contributions from folk who have got nothing important to say other than fuel another merry go round of more nonsense, based no doubt in part of the experience to create a conversation void of intellect or reason.

I'm sure there are intelligent hubbers here, so why not raise the bar instead of pandering to a very low common denominator.

Come on chaps! You know you can do it!

1. profile image0
      Maximus591posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You expect too much.

You won't get people of quality here. This is home to wannabe's, failed writers and the sad and lonely. This collection of misfits do not produce genius.

Observe the people. Chortle when someone declares 'yeh, I have 1000 views'... snigger with embarrassment when another declares 'I've made 5 whole pennies in 7 years'.

Most here are delusional. If their real jobs gave them satisfaction they would not be idly wasting their time here churning out dozens of God awful hubs in an attempt to escape from their dreary lives.

If you're someone of quality you will be employed in a quality environement. You will not have 300 hubs to your name.

1. HubPolice profile image57
        HubPoliceposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Says the guy who seems to spend every waking minute here. lol

2. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh, em, I'm terribly sorry, but I see you are stalking perfectly decent 'little' people in the forums again.  Can't have that, wink.  It's against my religion & politics. 

I take it you are independently wealthy, successful at your uh, day job as a clerk somewhere, and a great photographer (chortle) --and have at least had one article published locally or regionally in London.  Yeah?

I think the onus is on you.  How 'bout that struggling with morbidly obese chics as dating material and especially...attacking at random as a verbal serial killer might do?  Spells winner to me!

1. profile image0

is there anything you want in particular?

Wherever I post you are sure to follow. I know my hypnotically handsome good looks and delicious English accent has you feeling all warm and moist inside... but, must you insist on following me everywhere and post in every god damn thread I do?

There is something skin-crawlingly-creepy about your behaviour.

1. profile image0
            Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, no, and no.  And I believe YOU are the one seeing things...for some reason.

But I'm glad you are uncomfortable here, haha.

Now how about you shut the h*ll up unless you do plan to have something substantive to say?  (That's what in particular.)  Attacking at random just says you are mentally ill...which in my book is along the same lines as stupid.

1. tksensei profile image59
              tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is inexcusable for you to belittle the mentally ill in such a manner. That is truly offensive.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bard, threads like the hangout are places where people come to have fun, and twitteresque seems to be the current way people like to do that.

Bear in mind you don't have to participate if you don't want to.  I rarely venture into the Hangout or any of the other frivolous forums because, like you, I find some of the humour childish and a lot of posts pointless.  That doesn't affect my enjoyment of HubPages one bit, and I'm totally mystified by other people who seem to think the Forums are somehow more important than Hubbing.

Set your home page up so that you only see the Hub-related threads - Need help?, Report a Problem and Knowledge Exchange. That way you don't have to play with the kiddies, you can do your bit for the community and you may even learn something.

3. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

4. yoshi97 profile image56
      yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

So, when you go out to the club at night, do you ask everyone to stop dancing and then ask them to start talking politics?

The hangout was *created* for meaningless dribble, as was the sandbox. It's for all topics that don;t fit elsewhere and is typically used by stressed out hubbers to vent out their frustrations without attacking others in the religious or politics forums.

So that's why the hubber's hangout is what it is ...

1. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Except Yoshi the thread he is has stated isn't dribble but about a 5 year old boy who is dying from cancer and who won't make it to Christmas. We keep bumping it because it is sad and it has an address to send Christmas cards, is one last dying wish.

1. yoshi97 profile image56

Actually I was relating to his assessment of the hubbers as a whole.

As for the thread in question, I see it as a great heartfelt message that (from what I saw) hasn't been tainted by anyone. I stayed out of that thread until now as it's a bit to close for me to enter - and for the same reason I will continue to stay removed from that thread.

It's incomprehensible to me why a child must suffer ... sad

2. HubPolice profile image57
    HubPoliceposted 14 years ago

Are you the guy who appeared the other day announcing that you'd been banished from the Squidoo forums because everybody thought you were a knob?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this
    2. The Bard profile image67
      The Bardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's me! But at least I don't promote myself in a "mankini"! Or is that your way of demonstrating you're a bigger knob. Why don't you make a hub and show us all about it?

Hubs = 0

I'm not promoting anything. wink

Hmmmmmm, I see that with your superior intellect it took you ten minutes to edit your initial response and add 'Or is that your way of demonstrating you're a bigger knob. Why don't you make a hub and show us all about it?'

Glad you're here to raise the bar for us. big_smile

Congratulations on recognising superior intellect. I did edit, but only after realising your avatar and following through to your bio to discover that you are not a Hub creator. That takes a few minutes.

Furthermore, why be here if you do not wish to be apart of the community - warts and all? Surely you could make a hub to justify some element of your existance. Or do you just wish to be provocative on the forums?

True I have been banned from SquidU, not Squidoo, but that's only because I have had cause. You appear to have none other than to spout off here in your mankini.

BTW if I edit this it may take ten minutes - I'm sure you will understand that!

Wrong on all accounts, I have hundreds of hubs. smile

And it was not I that chose to start a provocative thread.

3. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

I think that that is a unique, if not somewhat disturbing HubPicture. Hello Bard. The problem with these forums is that they all devolve into Politics or Religion regardless of the starting premise.

Cheers mate. And forgive me for being critical before of your  sheep avatar. Clearly there is a smart wolf in that clothing! smile

4. profile image0

You are forgiven, friend. Actually I get a kick out of the remarks I get from some Hubbers. Some funny, some just plain childish. I find that it is quite rare to find a hub where I don't have to sign a waiver on my life before entering. Thanks for a safe-zone thread.  smile

5. profile image0

Well, I guess I spoke too soon. lol

Sorry Denno.

But I have a dislike of those who criticize others without bringing anything better to the table.

I'll leave you guys alone to ponder how banal the rest of us hubbers are. big_smile

1. profile image0
        Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I didn't criticize you, I don't see where this is coming from.

Sorry, that wasn't meant as an attack on you, but an explanation for my responses to the others.

1. profile image0

Not a problem. But, damn, your HubPicture is hilarious!

6. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Still bitter over your trouncing on these forums are you Max?

1. profile image0

Im not here to battle... I'm just here to put the little people in their place and to keep them there.

I consider it a social service.  smile

You couldn't put an egg in an egg-box without instructions.

You are cracking me up...

lol, no pun intended right? big_smile

It's easy for these guys to criticize, but what have they offered?  Nothing.  I've certainly seen no evidence of their superior intellects. smile

Welll...not eggsactly

lol

2. AEvans profile image71
        AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are naughty! and many of us have published and are published authors it is also hilarious to come and join the fun in the forums as I can see you also enjoy it or you would not be commenting.big_smile

1. profile image0

So, when you say published, I'm assuming you've published a pulitzer prize winning novel?  No?

Ok, at least a best seller with 100,000 sales?  No?

Ok, a leading article in a top selling womens magazine? No?

****Oh, come on, try and impress me here!****

Ok, a 50 word article on boil removal in Auntie May's monthly?  Yes?

You see,  Ma Cherie, unless you have been published at a level that makes people go WOW!, you are, and always will be, one of the little people.

Hows the weather down there?

http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss110/MrVoodoo123/gaymag.jpg

WOW!

Yep, you're a real nobody until you've reached the dizzying heights of being published in the center pages of a homo-erotic nudey magazine.

Speaking of little people, I didn't know those came in extra small, awww look at it, ain't it sweet, it's almost like a real one. big_smile

7. profile image0

Sorry, Bard, but I find it extremely hard to resist the obvious: Dammit Jim, they're all Dead! type stuff.

8. Uninvited Writer profile image80

My favorite is "I'm a doctor, not a ... (fill in the blank)"

1. profile image0

lol

9. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Wow Bard show us that you have no heart. We keep bumping to so that people can read it again and remember that there are more important things in life than stupid games on here. Thought you were cool now you show your true colors. thank you!

10. The Bard profile image67
    The Bardposted 14 years ago

Allow me to reveal myself in full glory. I post to generate discussion and not to engender favouritism or alternatively surreptitiously promote fifth columnist idealism.

I post to encourage heated but sensible debate. I do not post to bring out the worst in people, even though some are bound to come out of the woodwork with a degree of thoughtless comment and agitated phrases.

There is no doubt that such people exist and find fuel on forums to express themselves, either through a misguided belief that they are important, or merely have a right to be heard.

I make Hubs and Lenses because I have something to say.

I join forums because I have something to say. My popularity rating is not determined on my good will or niceness.

Those who like me become my friends,those who don't do not.

Those who are deluded to offer sarcastic barbs in the belief they sound clever are given short thrift.

They matter not a jot and merely show their own inadequacies and insecurity.

I have been banned from the SquidU forums twice,but not because of any of the golden rules.I have been banned because my comments have sometimes been perceived as a threat to the status quo.

As that is my only offence, I can hold my head up high with dignity,and view negative comments aimed at me here with tolerant sympathy.

Take it or leave it. But for Gawds sake admire my Panama Hat, it's my best asset and a necessary addition to my wardrobe! (Mankini's aside!) wink

You did read your own original post right?

The one in which you called all hubbers morons and criticized a thread designed to bring a smile to the face of a a 5 year old boy dying of cancer.

'Hold your head up high with dignity', you really are a piece of work.

1. Luciendasky profile image60
        Luciendaskyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ditto that

2. profile image0

Thank you HubPolice you are sweet person!

11. Uninvited Writer profile image80

That is a very nice hat you have there smile

12. profile image0

Okay, the Hat stays, but no speedos. (Not you HubPolice, you're off the hook on this one) smile

13. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

This is a good popcorn thread big_smile

14. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Max you're gonna get yourself in trouble with generalizations again. Do you not believe in seeing people for who they are as individuals?

1. profile image0

Nope.

Anymore great questions?

'people for who they are as individuals'... is quite meaningless.

First off, an individual cannot be defined by a forum post or posts. What an individual chooses to post is a mere snapshot of who they are, it is not their total self. A complete self cannot be defined online. It's for this reason, refusing to see people for who they are (as you put it) is a very intelligent strategy

So, how is the online dating thing working out?

2. Colebabie profile image60
        Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you that what we see of people online is only a mere part of who they are. But we are still a group of individuals. Generalizing just doesn't make any sense to me. I wouldn't say all of the men here are worthless, or that everyone here is a failed writer who hates their every day life, or that I find all men named Max unattractive. Because while of course there is usually a case to fit the example, it is hardly the truth for everyone. Someone is not only incorrect in making generalizations, they are missing out.

15. Uninvited Writer profile image80

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff267/lethal1989/1256788588401.jpg

1. profile image0

God, not another desperate, lonely, middle aged American female chasing after my cute tail.

Can't you just find a nice, fat blobby American man to displace the wanton sexual desires you have for me?

I don't know Max, you might not want to look past your last chance. smile

Genuinely stupid.

Is it not obvious?

16. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Aaa yoshi *hugs* It is really sad what happens to children...but you should at least write down the address...send a card? would make Noah's day smile

If you could just email me the address I'd be willing. As much as I profess that nothing ever bothers me, reading such a tragedy obviously does. sad

1. profile image0

I can do that. smile I'll email you right away!

17. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

You don't speak like the kid in the photo, who looks sweet.
    At least, you may consider that here, you can express all your frustration through that aggressiveness of yours without having your baby face bruised by a flying pint and the hand behind.

Now, if you gentleman care to join the library, we'll smoke a cigar and have some cognac.
    I love democracy !

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)