Help!!! I am in India, my skin is yellow! any docs? No help here!

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Aiysha17 profile image60
    Aiysha17posted 14 years ago

Hello there. I am currently volunteering in India. I really need some help as I am not sure about what I have been told regarding my health problems from various doctors.

My skin has been turning yellow over the last week or two and I am having discomfort/sharp and fast pains in my left side just below/under my ribs. The first doctor literally did not have time for me and told me I was fine, no test or examination what so ever. The second doctor prescribed me sun cream and regular moisturiser and I honestly felt like I was talking to a brick wall. They seem to think I am some silly westerner that has never been abroad, come here and gotten a tan and I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill. Half my family are Tunisian and I go there often enough to know what my skin looks like abroad and my skin is actually yellow in certain areas; not tanned for crying out loud and I am seriously concerned.

Today I went to a private doctor and they said it is most likely Jondis which is liver related. They have given me the following medication:

Adliv syrup for my liver which is to be taken 10ml two times a day.

Liver-52 again for my liver which is 2 tablets to be taken 3 times a day.

Bidoflox (ofloxacin & Ornidazole) an antibiotic which is two tablets twice a day.

Rabix D which I am to take once in the morning and once in the evening. This is apparently just in case the pain is a build up of acid in my stomache or something.

Magic spas for indigestion (again just in case, but I know I don't have indigestion) and I have to take one of these in the morning and one at night.

As much as I appreciate the fact that this doctor has picked on some sort of diagnosis but I am unsure of what the exact problem is and I think that taking so much medication might not be all that good for me. Firstly in terms of immune system and also the different chemicals mixing and possibly having an adverse effect. So I just want to check that this combination is correct and necessary and is there any other medication that would be better for whatever is wrong with me.

1. nikki1 profile image61
      nikki1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

What you've may have eatten maybe doing this. Your skin is a reaction to what you've eatten or been exposed too during your stay. Non-drowsy allergy (dye-free) rx may help. Do an assessment on what all you've eatten or done. And show your family, and who your cord. Are you a member of a team in India?
      Helping them?
      Good luck. Their water is different from American water. Keep in mind, possibly. Same with there products,.

2. nyliram profile image58
      nyliramposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It could be just jaundice, which is attributable to unsanitorty conditions, it may be Hepatic, so you need to be tested urgently
      Three types
      A B and the less common but common amongst third world countries and junkies etc., All are contagious. hep C is particulary dangerous, as it can damage the liver irrovocably. You need those tests done, at present you are putting not just yourself but maybe others at risk. Don't waste time do it.
      You cannot eat fatty foods or drink anything alcoholic.

3. Hopmoney wizard profile image60
      Hopmoney wizardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Try MaxGxl Glutathione it has a silymarin that cleanse the liver. Its a supplement it might help. but check your doctor if you are ok with the supplement

4. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A well-known sign of hepatitis is jaundice, which is an accumulation of a chemical called "bilirubin" in the body's tissues. The liver usually processes this chemical as a waste product, but when the liver is damaged, it's unable to do its normal job. The chemical then accumulates in the blood and starts to leak out in to nearby tissue. When enough of this chemical accumulates, it's possible to see a yellow color in the skin, urine and especially around the whites of the eyes. Though this is a very obvious sign, there are other more common signs and symptoms of hepatitis in the liver.
      When you notice parts of your body turning yellow, it's time to go see a doctor, because something may be wrong. Several things are known to cause yellow skin, and liver disease is one of the most common and important. Since Liver damage is serious it's best you take the medicine.

However if you are taking a large dosage of Carotene aka Betacarotene this can also turn your skin yellowish orange.

2. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

Do a search online for jaundice (not jondis).

3. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I went through this a number of years ago. It was jaundice caused by my newly diagnosed lymphoma. I was quite yellow, get to a good hospital with good doctors and find out why this occurred.

4. Ivorwen profile image64
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Both jaundice and hepatitis can cause yellowness.  Both affect the liver heavily.

Do a search for things that stimulate the liver.  Dandelion and olive oil both help to clean the liver and therefore heal the body.

5. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

Jaundice is just a medical name for yellowing of the skin - it's really a symptom, not a disease.

It's usually a signal of something wrong in the liver.  The doctor should really be doing some blood tests to determine what the cause is.  It could be a blockage in a bile duct, gallstones, hepatitis or some other liver infection.

The fact you've got pain under your left rib suggests it could be gallstones - that's quite a common symptom. 

Avoiding fatty foods and dairy products helps any liver or gall bladder complaint.

Did you get immunised against Hepatitis A before you left?  It's very common in developing countries and you can get it by eating contaminated food. That's why you should never eat anything that hasn't been cooked.  Have you eaten salad, or any fruit that can't be peeled?

1. Aiysha17 profile image60
      Aiysha17posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes I had Hep A and Hep B immunisations. The doctors here don't seem to care and the drugs I have been given now are also having aweful side affects. Thank you so much for the dietry tips tho. I emailed The national health system in my country but they will not give me any advice or guidance about the medication because I am out of their duristicion even tho I am a British Citizen.

6. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

why are you there and where are you from? can you call home? sounds like jaundice but you need to find out why? go to anothet dr if you can, or get home maybe.

7. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I hate to throw this into the mix and your concerns, but the pain you're having, combined with apparent jaundice, do seem to warrant more immediate attention than it seems you've gotten.   It could be a coincidence that you're having both symptoms at the same time; and nobody but a doctor who pays attention and really addresses things (with plenty of tests, etc.) can make any guesses.   How old you are may make a difference here, too.  Having said all that...

My mother had gall stones (in the US) years ago.  She had pain and a number of other symptoms, and the doctor put her on medication for angina.  She spent months being horribly sick until she finally turned yellow, which made the doctor figure out his mistake.  By the time they did surgery the stones were almost blocking the duct.  Chances are you don't necessarily have something like this, but your symptoms are enough to make me hope you can find some doctor who'll rule out something serious.  (Is there any chance the doctor actually did run a bunch of tests and rule out the more serious stuff?  Sometimes (apparently not in my mother's doctor's case) they rule out stuff based on what they know about your symptoms; but because patients don't always know why they ruled it out they can be left feeling unsettled.)

(Just a note:  My niece turned orange/yellow when she was toddler, and my sister was absolutely frightened.  It turned out she had eaten so many carrots the melanin in her skin was affected - so all skin changes aren't necessarily a serious problem.)

I think you should study up on your symptoms and on the medications you've been given; and then write a list of questions you have about why he prescribed that medication, what made him rule out more serious stuff, what exactly did he rule out, what may he have overlooked, etc.  Chances are he can answer a list of pre-written questions in a matter of a few minutes.  You may be concerned just because he didn't explain his thinking/diagnosis well enough to you (a common thing, no matter where you live).

Also, if you have a doctor at home call, tell him/her about your concerns, and ask the same kind of questions.

http://www.medicinenet.com/jaundice/page5.htm#tocf

http://www.bio-medicine.org/q-more/medi … /jaundice/

http://www.medicinenet.com/jaundice/article.htm#tocb

(Your profile says you're 19.  Do you have parents or other family members can call and ask for advice/information, or maybe who would see if they can talk to any doctors about you there?  If you have family at home don't try to deal with your health worries by yourself.  Maybe someone older than you are can think up the kinds of questions you need to ask the doctor, if nothing else.)

8. profile image0
    Scott.Lifeposted 14 years ago

It sounds like given your symptoms that you have a liver condition or have suffered some kind of rupture in the Bile duct, both of which cause a yellowing of the skin as toxins are spread throughout the body, you should be checking yourself into a hospital or flying home, not lounging online looking for theories. Either condition mandates immediate medical care. GO TO A HOSPITAL and make yourself heard!!!

9. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Might be time to stop volunteering and get yourself home to family and good medical care.

1. Attani profile image60
      Attaniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Damn good suggestion! Get home and to a good doctor. India is not the best place to be if you're seriously ill.

10. Mezo profile image60
    Mezoposted 14 years ago

Hi, Ayisha....PLEASE pay attention to what I'm saying :

With all respect to all the members who replied, you can NEVER take advice from any one who is not a dcotor.....and even a doctor can NOT diagnose your case online....So my first advice is

1-Go to a GOOD, REAL doctor...or hospital, i don't mean a small health unit, but a PRIMARY health care facility, a BIG hospital

2- Calm down...really...it can be nothing...

Now please tell me:

How severe is the pain? is it mild, moderate, or very severe than you can move or breath?

Can you point the exact site of the pain? or is it just diffuse?

The gall bladder is on the RIGHT side, so pain in the left side is not related to gall bladder trouble. Is the pain radiating to the right shoulder or back? and is it burning, dull aching or stabbing pain?

ARE YOU TAKING ANY MEDICATIONS ?

Is there any associated symptoms? (constipation, distention, diarrhea, chest related symptoms, swelling in any part of your body, fever, nausea and vomiting)

Have you eaten something bad recently?

Tests you should do:
    Let's start with:

-Serum bilirubin levels (direct and indirect)
    -Liver enzymes (SGPT & SGOT)
    -An abdominal Ultrasound

and again, please seek MEDICAL advice....
    and tell me what happens with you in the next few days...

best wishes

11. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

"As much as I appreciate the fact that this doctor has picked on some sort of diagnosis but I am unsure of what the exact problem is and I think that taking so much medication might not be all that good for me"

Scott, I agree that urgent medical care is needed with those symptoms; but she has seen a doctor, and it seems to be there's ALSO the chance he didn't explain well enough to her what is wrong, why it's ok to take whatever he's prescribed, etc.

I'm not saying she shouldn't seek other medical care immediately; but I do think she should start by asking the doctor she saw for a better explanation of how he came up with the diagnosis, why the medications are ok to mix, etc.  She needs to be given an exact name for the problem, an exact explanation of why/how he ruled out other stuff (and if he missed stuff she needs to know what he may have overlooked).  She's apparently only 19 and in another country (as well as being a young woman).  A hurried, "paternal-minded", doctor may just not have explained things well enough to her.

12. klllj0ylife profile image60
    klllj0ylifeposted 14 years ago

Cliche to say but it almost sounds like you donated a liver or kidney.

13. Mezo profile image60
    Mezoposted 14 years ago

Forgot to say that the medications are ok
    the first two are just herbals to support the liver and are safe, used to treat and prevent hepatitis....you didn't tell us about the sites of the yellowish coloration..is there jaundice in the eyes? (pull your lower lid and look!)..

I also hope some of the indian members suggest a good hospital for you, if you are not satisfied with your doctor..

14. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

I'm with the majority posts here. Seek medical attention immediately from a big hospital in your area. It's not gallstones from the sound of it; not only that, you are way too young to have textbook gall-stones. I have no idea what the left sided epigastric pain is all about, but then I am not a doctor.
    Jaundice is a serious symptom and should never be overlooked.
    On the other hand, your doctor gave you antibiotics of some kind so he must suspect an infection, else he is only covering his ass!

15. ddsurfsca profile image71
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

Hepatitis in these modern days has evolved.  My Dr. told me that Hep. A and/or B, will turn into Hep. C.  OR, you could have very easily contracted hep C.  There is also Hep D, E, etc. all the way to Hep G although D through G is very rare.  Hep C is very common.  You need to be checked and have a liver biopsy done.  This is the only way, along with  blood panels, to tell what is really going on.  It is obviously something serious.  unless you want to end up back in the States on a liver transplant list, you better do something soon.  This is not something to wait and see what happens.

16. Mezo profile image60
    Mezoposted 14 years ago

Hello,
    With all do respect ddsurfsca,
    You can't judge wether it is serious or not...and liver biopsy is the last resort and done if all other tests failed to reveal the underlying cause, before the biopsy, many other test are done like liver enzymes, hepatitis antibodies, alkaline phosphatase, abdominal ultrasound and C.T. Scan, etc..

Kind regards
    Ayisha, could you tell us what is going on now with you, have you done these tests?

17. Aiysha17 profile image60
    Aiysha17posted 14 years ago

Hi everyone, sorry for not updating you sooner, my internet access has been limited. I am home now, I finished the project and took my medication religiously. The yellow areas were the hands, spreading into the arms and on my neck and face spreading to my chest. I was yellow for 2 weeks in total but after taking the medicine the yellowness went as did the pains.

Regardless, now that I am home, I will be getting all the tests suggested by Mezzo and following the advice of my GP here. I was really scared for a while back then but thankfully I seem to be on the mend. I would like to add that I did have my immuniations (including Hep A and B but there was no mention of a vaccine for Hep C).

Thank you all for your support and advice, I really appreciate it. I really didn't know where else to turn as UK doctors and the NHS refused to give me any advice as I was out of Britain and they are not allowed to.

In response to Scott, I appreciate your concern and I would like to make it clear that I was far from "lounging online" for the sake of it. It was a last resort and I had already tried every other available route. I went to a Government and a Private hospital and tried UK sources and yet to no avail, I was understandably very concerned and so I needed answers from somewhere. Thank you.

1. Dao Hoa profile image60
      Dao Hoaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am glad you are home. It is understandable that you were scared and try to get help somewhere else (Hubpages). Good luck.

18. Mezo profile image60
    Mezoposted 14 years ago

I'm really glad that the situation has finally came to an end for you...smile i wish u all the best, let us know the results of your tests.

Kind regards
    Mezo

19. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

Sounds to me like jaundice and you seriously may have contracted Hepatitis that is something very serious my recomendation is to seek treatment ASAP. Seek assistance from your consulate since doctors in India cannot and will not assist you. smile

20. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

I am thinking Jhaundis for sure..

I got it when I had my last big seizure, March 2009, while I was in the hospital in an induced coma, before they woke me up and I went into the coma on my own..

you really do need a doctor and fast dear

21. nyliram profile image58
    nyliramposted 14 years ago

i see Ae has just told you the same thing. hope you are feeling better the Delhi belly, also make people a yellowy colour, from drinking Indian water, (which no one ever should do)

22. Save a Quid profile image59
    Save a Quidposted 14 years ago

What an amazing thing the Internet is and what a wonderful support it can be.
    I'm glad you got home okay Aiysha17. When I was in india I came back with  some terrible Delhi Belly. My doctor back in the UK described the infection as a tadpole with teeth eating away at my stomach wall- nice! A small price to pay for the privilege of travel to foreign countries.

1. nyliram profile image58
      nyliramposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thats the one and a lady I knew became a Diplomat got her first overseas trip in India and was stupid enough to drink their water, (I mean the ganges has dead bodies floating in it ) Seriously gross. She wondered why she got sick. Hello! She took on a yellowy tinge. But this lady sounded sicker, so I was thinking Hep of one kind or another that is rampant over there. to.
      So moral of story take your own bottled water to Countries such as India, and watch what you do eat.

23. blondepoet profile image66
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

I would have said jaundice too

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)