Same sex Marriages??????????

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (65 posts)
  1. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 14 years ago

Just saw a topic regarding "Are same sex marriages necessary"  As we all know we live in a world where there are so many different people, cultures and beliefs.  Why is it that people who were raised and accustomed to seeing things one way, want to encourage as well as instruct others to do things the same way that they are.  Nine times out of ten these same people who are spewing words, (that more than likely they are repeating because they heard someone else say it) are miserable, bored and confused with their own life.  Growing up I was forced to be religious and most of my friends lived with both of their parents.  On the outside looking in everything always looked fabulous, but when you here first hand from your friends the abuse, neglect and all the mess that they went through as children, you don't think you had it so bad not having parents at all.  Now that they are adults, they are so fucked up and it's hard to even give advice, you just have to listen.  These are people who grew up with a man and woman present, who also were christians.  GEt off your high horse, don't think yourself to be better than because you are following the masses. I am not saying who has the right away, but I am saying that it takes two mature responsible, I repeat responsible people to raise a child.  Not because you are a Vice president of a company and have left your wife home with the children makes you better than anyone.  Sex has nothing to do with raising a child, if two individuals from the same sex want to be married and children are involved, who are you to question their intentions or deem them not qualified.  It's all about being committed and dedicating yourself fully whether you are straight or gay.  Regardless of how you raise them, children will do as they wish!

1. Lady_E profile image61
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Interesting post, but I don't think regardless of how you raise them, that they will do as they wish. A good foundation makes a lot of difference.  smile

1. profile image0
        reeltaulkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe so but as an adult I have come to learn one thing, if not anything else----that life is a very tricky thing.  What you think you know...you don't! What is destined to be will be....in more ways than one!

Vonda G. Nelson

1. Lady_E profile image61
          Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm curious to know if you'd let your son marry a man or let your daughter marry a woman. Just curious, I respect if you choose not to answer.

2. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

It says it plain as day in the new all-knowing "Family Handbook". If you can't find the correct partner become a monk. There are many remote caves where you can pray for a clue.

1. maudine_05 profile image60
      maudine_05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile big_smile

3. lar11862 profile image60
    lar11862posted 14 years ago

I have been with my partner for almost five years.  People treat the issue of "homosexuals getting married" as a special privilege.  This is not so.  We love our partners the same as the heterosexual world. We live our lives, except for whom we love, as the heterosexual world.  We deserve the same rights as straight couples.

They say you need to watch out and protect yourselves from homosexuality but in my eyes we have to watch out for the people that want to stop progress such as this.  What most do not understand is that being a homosexual is not who we are but it is what we are.

1. profile image0
      Wag The Dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am fine with gay couples, what you do is up to you.  But, when you say  "We deserve the same rights as straight couples." I must correct you.  You do have the same rights as the rest of us.  You can marry a man if you wish.  Just as a gay man can marry a woman.  We have the same rights, right now.  What the gay community is asking for is additional rights.  Rights that may lead down a dark and dangerous road.  If we change the definition of marriage, why stop with woman to woman or man to man?  How about Man to boy or woman to horse?

But my main point is, we all have the same rights, right now.
      Do not try to say that your are asking for the "same" rights.  That part is not true.

http://onwardstate.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/gay-marriage.jpg

1. livelonger profile image85
        livelongerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

1. Can gay/lesbian people marry the person they love?

2. Would you want your daughter to marry a gay man, or your son to marry a lesbian?

1. profile image0

Again, the "same rights" issue is a lie.  They have the same Rights, right now.  Instead, they are asking for additional rights.

If a man "loves" a little boy, should he be able to marry him?
          If a woman "loves" a horse, should she be able to marry it?

As for your question, "Would you want your daughter to marry a gay man, or your son to marry a lesbian?"  That does not even deserve an answer.

Why stop with gay marriage?  A lot of men want to marry little girs.  Like the man in the picture below did.  Or little boys for that matter. 
          Once you change the meaning of a word, such as marriage, what is to stop those who want it to mean what-ever they wish it to mean?  Mean. It can mean anything to suit their needs, wants, or desires?

http://libertarianalliance.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/article-0-0282f166000004b0-269_468x318.jpg

Do you think poligamy is O.K.?
          If gay marriage is fine, why not poligamy?  Then where does marrige go?
          http://jensorlie.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/polyg.jpg

1. profile image0
            sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well done! Nice job!

2. livelonger profile image85

A child and a horse can not consent to marriage. Another adult can.

If you really can't understand the difference between a same-sex couple loving each other and wanting to be with each other for the rest of their lives, and an adult wanting to marry a child, then that suggests you have no real-world experience with gay people.

You still didn't answer either of my questions. Interesting.

2. profile image0

It doesn't matter what ones parents want, when you grow up you choose whatever it is that you like.  Whether it involves your job or your sexuality.  It is irrelevant, in the end you have to accept the freedom of choice and what your children do as well as people do.  People make choices on a daily basis and suffer whether they are gay or straight!

1. Colebabie profile image60
            Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So you believe sexual orientation is a choice?

4. profile image0

Ask yourself these questions:

1. Is a duck the same as a cow?
    2. Whats another word for homosexual?
    3. What is the name of the ceremony where heterosexuals are joined?

1. frogdropping profile image77
      frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is that tongue in cheek? Or not?

If it's the former, it's funny. If it's the latter, why not call a spade and spade and just say 'No gay marriage'.

Lol - in case it's a funny.

2. Colebabie profile image60

Thats how I would answer them anyways... smile

5. profile image0

Most everyone knows what I believe, I was being silly.smile

I just don't get the point of the questions though.

1. profile image0

me neither....people are going to do whatever they want to do.

1. profile image0

I restated my position in a silly way, sorry. You're right they can do it in Canada.

6. profile image0

Do I have to have a point? I was just voicing my opposition in a lighter way.

Ok whatever works for you.

7. profile image0

You're just one of those cookie-cutter liberals that want to point fingers. You liberals are all the same! Do you call each other in the morning to get todays thought? You know, cause of the day! You all are starting to look alike thats probably why you don't see the difference between gay and straight.

Umm, talkin to me Sneako? Generalizing people again, are we?

8. profile image0

Noooo! Just those who act like you and aren't original.

9. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Nothing is original Sneako. smile

10. profile image0

You are! You're the one who can make a difference. Set the example for our young ones so they can grow safe and strong! You can stop the pain of those without hope and make sure they make better choices. You are very important and original you need to be a leader.

Everyone receives inspiration from something/someone else. Being truly original is rare, and I am no exception. I think I have made a difference, and hope to continue to do so. Thanks for the encouragement. But are you sure you want someone who you disagree with so much to be a leader for the successive generation?

11. profile image0

I have hope when you grow up you'll grow past your emotional attachment to causes.

I am 22 years old. After "growing up" I hope causes will still be an important part of my life. It is my work for causes that makes me who I am, allows me to lead, make a difference, and brings joy to my life. I don't understand why someone would want a detachment from causes, because if we don't live for others we're just selfish and wasting our lives aren't we?

1. profile image0

Pretty much...it's like sitting in shit and going no where.  Just caught up in your own mess which nine times out of ten you can't get yourself out of!

Vonda G. Nelson

12. profile image0

When I was you're age I knew everything about ten years later I realized I knew nothing.

That is your experience. I am sure in 10 years I will have learned a lot. Of course. I have learned so much in just the past 4. But realize that my ideas about life will not change. That was your experience. Not mine.

And you're back to thinking you know everything again. Full circle!

13. profile image0

Be careful Wag this one thinks he's the cops!

14. profile image0

Well turn me in then, that must be an offense here!

I don't think anyone is offended by you thinking you know everything. The only person that affects is you.

1. profile image0

Thanks Cole.

15. profile image0
    Wag The Dogposted 14 years ago

What if the gay, "loves" a little boy?  Or the lesbian "loves" a little girl? 

Define your question.

As for your second question, it is so pathetic, it does not deserve an answer. But, I will try...

If my son, when he becomes a legal adult, wants to marry a woman of legal age, be she a lesbian, and I do not know why she would wish to be with a man, my son.  Then so be it. 

Vice versa for my daughter.  When she becomes a legal adult and wishes to marry a man of legal age, be he gay, and agian I state that I do not know why he would wish to be with a woman, my daughter.  Then so be it.
    http://lh3.ggpht.com/_nSR9paT7hQs/SfnawbLsd5I/AAAAAAAAAdM/yah8iI5vOJQ/man,%20woman_thumb%5B9%5D.jpg

It is legal and is one man and one women.  A true marriage.

But that was one dumb ass question.

1. caravalhophoto profile image61
      caravalhophotoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was really going to keep quiet this time around, but I must speak up.  What I do not understand is why the discussion of gay/lesbian marriage always ends up compared to children and animals?  WTF????  Nothing to do with two consenting adults...let me repeat that...two consenting adults.

Would I let my daughter marry a woman or my son marry a man?  What am I going to do if they do?  Banish them from my life...no, they are adults who made a decision and as their mother who's love is unconditional, would support them.

It's not your thing, we get it, you don't want "additional" laws for gay/lesbian marriage...we get it.

Why do you need to bring it down to a level that is not justified and basically stupid comparisons to what gay/lesbians are or want.

Make your point already, but do it like an adult who knows what he's talking about rather than using animals, children, pedeophiles and whatever else you need to associate with a loving relationship between two consenting adults,  again two consenting adults.

1. profile image0

The point I am making, is that when we start changing what the word marriage means for a group of people, gay/lesbian, then it is not a far cry to think that other groups, pedeophiles, zoophiles, and what have you, will want "equal rights" too.

Once we say that it is fine for one group, then shouldn't we say it is fine for the rest?  If not, why not?  Shouldn't they have equal rights too?

I am not equating gay/lesbian to those other groups.  I am simply pointing out that changing the definition of marriage should not be changed just to accommodate a specific group, unless you wish to accommodate all of them. 

Just so you know, I have many gay friends and I love them very much.  I would never place them alonside those other sick deviants.   

I also think that there should be a way for them to be together and have the same privileges as a married couple.  What to call it and how to do it, I do not know.

It's only a dumb ass question because your suggestion is dumb that gay people simply need to marry people of the opposite sex (i.e. people that they will not love). So, to keep on insisting gay people have the same rights to marry is just dumb.

It's not an uncommon viewpoint (sadly). But what you're saying is that a gay man and a straight woman should get married, making both parents miserable in a relationship without love in it. Just because you're uncomfortable with two adults of the same sex making a home together. I see you're a big believer in personal freedom and the right to the pursuit of happiness.

And since you still seem to be confused about the difference between "gay" and "pedophile", I suggest you read Wikipedia or another encyclopedia to catch up with what the rest of the civilized world has known for several decades.

16. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

it's the use of the word "let" that bothers me...when people ask "would you LET your son marry a man....would you "LET your daughter marry a woman". since when do our children belong to us? they are their own people and have the right to seek their own happiness, even if it isn't a choice we would make.

17. profile image0

If my son married a guy I'd shoot myself for being a total failure.

1. profile image0

Oh boy

He says things like that to get attention when he's feeling neglected. You'll see his pattern soon enough.

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

parents fail their children by not supporting them emotionally and financially, and by abusing them.

my brother is gay and he is one of the nicest, most decent people you would ever want to meet. the fact that he came out of poverty and abuse and built a wonderful life for himself and found someone to love in spite of how his parents failed him speaks volumes of his character.

3. profile image0
      ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sneak, I think your missing out on something. It isn't about you or me or the way we raise them. It is only about them and how they are and their rights as human beings in a screwed up world that has too much hatred and misunderstanding. I think you might change your mind if a grandchild of yours is one.

1. profile image0

I know I just say that crap to start trouble. I would die for my boy, I could never hate him. Plus, he's a good bad boy he likes the ladies. I don't hate anyone especially gays they have alot of issues to deal with. I'm good with civil unions but not marraige and I will always obey the law.

18. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Last comment I'm making to any gay thread on here.

Homosexuality is legal in most of the countries of the world. It is not going to go away. You are just going to have to live with it...

19. Frugal Fanny profile image61
    Frugal Fannyposted 14 years ago

In all those pages of reading, I couldn't see anyone saying what I am thinking, so here is my two or three cents' worth...

People should be able to marry an individual of the same species, who is above the age of consent, no matter what their gender is.  I'm sorry, but gay marriages can not in any way be equated to marrying a child, or an animal.  It is natural and understandable for two consenting adults to want to formalise their union under the eyes of the law and whatever god they do or do not worship, as they see fit.  They aren't asking for additional rights.  They are asking for the legal right to express their love of their partners in the same capacity that straight couples are allowed to. And why shouldn't they?

1. profile image0

Again, I am not equating gay/lesbian to those other groups.  What I am saying is that the definition of marriage should not be changed just to accommodate a specific group, unless you wish to accommodate all of them.

When we start changing what the word marriage means for a group of people, gay/lesbian, then what is to stop other groups, pedeophiles, zoophiles, and what have you, from wanting the same "equal rights?" 

Once we say that it is fine for one group, then shouldn't we say it is fine for the rest?  If not, why not?  Shouldn't they have "equal rights" too?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because those other practices are illegal...

2. profile image0

pedophiles and people who have sex with animals should NOT have the same rights because they PREY on innocents and use them against their will. it disturbs me that people equate gay people with murderers, perverts, pedophiles and freaks who have sex with animals.

2. profile image0

Straight and to the point.......very well said

20. profile image0

For starters, I did not say  that gay people simply need to marry people of the opposite sex.  I said that they have the SAME RIGHTS as the rest of us.  They CAN marry a woman if they are a man, or, if they are a woman, they CAN marry a man.  They have that right. THE SAME RIGHT all of us have.  Gay or straight.

I also did not say that  a gay man and a straight woman should get married or vise versa.
    Nor did I say that "gay" = "pedophile" 
    You did not read, what I wrote, correctly.

But I can tell you this, they have the same rights as the rest of us, and I do not believe that we should alter the definition of the word marriage to accommodate a group because once you do, other groups will want the same treatment/equal rights.

I'll say this again too... Just so you know, I have many gay friends and I love them very much.  I would never place them alongside those other sick deviants.   

I also think that there should be a way for them to be together and have the same privileges as a married couple.  What to call it and how to do it, I do not know

First, if the law were able to accommodate same-sex marriage, then heterosexuals could get married to members of the same sex. You do realize that, right? (i.e. no one would have more rights than another) A heterosexual man would have the right to marry a man if he wanted to.

Sure you did. You said that if a gay person wants to get married, they have to get married to someone of the opposite gender (i.e. someone they can't love).

Then why did your examples demonstrate a man trying to marry a boy, and a woman trying to marry a girl? Why not a man trying to marry a girl (FAR more common) or a woman trying to marry a boy (if you read the news lately, also apparently common!)?

Separate but equal, you say?

21. Frugal Fanny profile image61
    Frugal Fannyposted 14 years ago

Also, people who are not straight should not be made to marry a member of the opposite sex.  That would be like denying them to freedom to be themselves.  It would be a form of oppression; no one should be made to marry someone they can not love in the way partners are supposed to love each other.

22. profile image0

So was being gay at one time.

1. profile image0

again, it is quite simple. sex between consenting adult humans is the difference. a pedophile and zoophile force themselves onto someone (child or animal) who cannot defend themselves and who DOES NOT WANT IT.

1. Frugal Fanny profile image61
        Frugal Fannyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My point exactly, ty.

23. profile image0

True, it is disturbing, but the point is that once you accommodate one group, and change the meaning or definition of marriage, then it will not be long for those other groups to ask for the same "equal rights"

We, as a society now accept the gay lifestyle.  That's fine.  Now they claim to want equal right, my point is, it is not equal rights they want, but additional rights.  They already have the same rights we all have.  Thus equal rights.

The other groups, the pedophiles, zoophiles, and other disturbed people and groups, also want the gay/lesbian group to get "equal rights" because they know that they can move forward with thier plans to be accepted should the gay/lesbian group get those so called "equal right" 

They will say, "They accepted the gay and lesbians.  Now it is our turn."

What's to stop them?  Where is the line?  Does anything go?  Whatever feels good, do it?

The issue is not equal rights.  It is an agenda that leads to accepting anything.  To include those things that should not be.

24. livelonger profile image85
    livelongerposted 14 years ago

There is no such thing as "the gay lifestyle."

Gays and lesbians have as wide a range of lifestyles as straight people do.

There is a "gay orientation". Gay people don't engage in gay sex "for kicks" but because it feels completely natural to them. This has been long studied by scientists and it is not a whim.

All of the other things you mention involve an adult person *preying* (as Cosette said) on another being that is unable to give consent. A horse or a child can not profess romantic love to an adult.

I feel a bit silly having to explain something so elementary to an adult...

25. profile image0

Hey LL, why don't you explain the gay lifestyles that are available in case we change our minds.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)