Same sex marriage - is it a civil or political issue?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (25 posts)
  1. alexandriaruthk profile image69
    alexandriaruthkposted 11 years ago

Same sex marriage - is it a civil or political issue?

It is my opinion that it is civil enmeshed in political arena simply because of the privileges in a society.

2. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 11 years ago

I would go so far as to say that it's not really even an issue at all. Politicians don't really care about it, but they have to pretend that they care. Whenever this is voted on for referendum, Christian groups turn out in droves because they think they are supposed to and they vote it down. Otherwise, I hear people having varying opinions on this subject, but I know few people that think it is their place to either help it pass or to block its passage. Most people really don't care.

3. peeples profile image91
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

In my opinion it isn't an issue. NO ONE should have a right to tell anyone who they can marry short of adults trying to marry children below the age of consent. If everyone would learn how to mind their own business the world would be a much better place.

1. profile image49
      little-red85posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Peoples, why age matter though if love is involved?  Some countries marry girls off at 14 or at puberty. Some allow girls to marry at 16. You're being hypocritical.

4. LandmarkWealth profile image67
    LandmarkWealthposted 11 years ago

Marriage is in my view is solely a religious issue.  If you are not religious, than why bother getting married.  The only answer is the legal benefits associated with marriage such as estate tax advantages as one example.  That for me is more of a reflection on how much we have overcomplicated our tax and legal system.   In terms of the definition of marriage, I do not support homosexual marriage.  Not so much based on my Catholic upbringing, but more based on biology and the laws that mother nature has designed for us to reproduce as a species.  But I have no problem with a homosexual having the same benefits heterosexuals have in terms of who is appointed as the administrator of ones health care proxy or executor of ones estate when someone dies intestate.  Which is essentially what civil unions accomplish. 

However, if a religious body or any private organization wishes to ban homosexuals or homosexual marriage, that is their prerogative.  I don't know why anyone unaffiliated with the organization would even care.  I have never felt compelled to force myself into an all girls school that didn't want male students. Why would you want to join the boy scouts if you were gay.  Start your own organization if it's so important to you.   If you don't agree with an organizations views, you don't have to join.  As long as they aren't receiving tax payer dollars, then they should be free to marry, give grants and accept as members anyone they wish.   But the entire issue of marriage is a joke.  If you are not religious and are married by a justice of the peace, than you essentially have a civil union regardless of your sexuality.

The real issue to me is only whether or not homosexuals couples should be permitted to adopt children which is implied in the term marriage.  I personally do not think they should.  I don't think heterosexual single parents should be able to adopt either.  I personally believe a child should be given the guidance of a father and a mother, which each serve separate and distinct roles in a child's life whenever possible.  And we should avoid intentionally placing children in non traditional families whenever we can.  Some will say there are not enough same sex couples to fill the adoption needs.  That is not the case at all.  The cost and red tape that goes along with adoption is just a deterrent.  We have three adoptions in my family. All thee were from overseas because it was too expensive to adopt in the US.

1. ImKarn23 profile image70
      ImKarn23posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The 'species' will reproduce whether gays get married or not! There's been gays since the beginning of time - if not before - and we've managed to procreate FAR too well, IMHO!

2. LandmarkWealth profile image67
      LandmarkWealthposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am not suggesting we wouldn't.  I am suggesting that intentionally placing children in an environment that defies the laws of biology is not appropriate. It's an attempt to normalize what is not normal.

3. ImKarn23 profile image70

Again, i respectfully disagree.
      'NORMAL' is what YOU make it! IF you thump your bible and tell kids it's bad and unnatural - that's how they'll think..
      If you say that LOVE is LOVE - no matter it's configuration -PRESTO - it's NORMAL
      It's U not kids

4. LandmarkWealth profile image67

It has nothing to do with faith. It has to do with biology. If it were normal than pregnant couples would say, "I hope my kid grows up to be gay one day". I have never seen that once.  You can acknowledge something is abnormal without hating them.

5. ImKarn23 profile image70

When a church refuses to allow gays to attend - THAT'S HATE!
      When a church has influence over others - THAT SPREADS HATE..
      nuff said..

6. LandmarkWealth profile image67

Are all girls schools that don't allow boys to attend expressing hate ???  Is the NAACP which advance the rights of only ONE group hate ???  Or the opponents of polygamy or beastiality  ???

7. IDONO profile image61
      IDONOposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't want women in my locker room. That doesn't mean I hate women. If anything influences children about hate, it's adults throwing the word "hate" around like it's nothing. Most that do that, hate themselves. Misery loves company.

8. LandmarkWealth profile image67

I agree. But people that oppose gay marriage don't necessarily hate gay people.  Some may.  But not all.  I don't hate single people.  But I don't think straight single people should adopt either. And that is my only concern with the issue.

9. IDONO profile image61
      IDONOposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wasn't talking about you, Landmark.

10. profile image49

Imkarn, you must not realize the sickness you are endorsing. Some children are raised believing its normal to sleep with relatives. Does that make it right? "Normal is what you make of it". Some things are just WRONG regardless of love.

5. healthyfitness profile image72
    healthyfitnessposted 11 years ago

I don't think it should be an issue at all. Who cares who marries who, people's private lives should not be in the hands of other especially not politicians!

6. IDONO profile image61
    IDONOposted 11 years ago

I believe it is a moral issue. But what is immoral for me, may not be for you. If there is a judgement, I will be graded on being true to my own heart, not yours.
         My problem is many people's views, ( hubpages and others), seems confused. Should heterosexual couples be denied marriage because they have no intentions of having children or adopting? What if they physically can't? Gender shouldn't be confused with sexual preference. A gay boy is still a boy with boy's interests. This isn't even close to a fair comparison to a boy at a girl's school.
         I know a lot of gay people and the only difference between them and me is they are physically and emotionally attracted to the same sex. They are not obsessed or consumed by sexual thoughts. Their every move is not motivated by gay, sexual thoughts. Their sex life is no more a part of their relationships than yours and mine. Just different. Their business.
         Read back through history when the first interracial marriages came into public view. Almost every question was asked about that as is asked about gay marriage,  What about the issues brought up years ago when one partner was protestant and the other catholic? What about their children? Should they have been denied marriage? Should mentally or physically challenged people not be allowed to marry because the risk of children being born abnormal is higher?
         Some issues have to have laws. Some don't.  It's just that some people want to force their morals and beliefs on everyone else. Along with all these issues such as gay marriage, abortion and any issue that involves morals in some way. being denied is also denying your freedom to make a choice. No one has that right.
         These relationships are real. These couples face the same trials and tribulations as everyone else.Except even more difficult; like interracial couples years ago. I'd be surprised if the percentage of gay couple failures is near as high as that of heterosexual couples,
         I don't feel it's moral to keep 2 people apart that are in love, no matter what their sexual relationship is. And if made legal, it's not moral to hope for failure of those involved. When allowed, in time, it will be accepted just like the other issues I spoke of. It takes time for all to adjust and those who live differently have just as much right to take part in that " pursuit of happiness" as anyone else.

7. ImKarn23 profile image70
    ImKarn23posted 11 years ago

It's not political OR civil!
    NOR is it religious!
    It's a PERSONAL issue between 2 people who love each other!
    Love is Love and - the world needs MORE of it - not less!

1. CrescentSkies profile image66
      CrescentSkiesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Or are vivaciously attracted to each other! Don't leave people out here tongue

2. profile image49

Ok, we should expect to see you sticking up for cho-mos that "love" their victims, right? "Love is love and the world needs more of it". Sexual confusion should not be endorsed in any way, shape, or form.

8. Elderberry Arts profile image88
    Elderberry Artsposted 11 years ago

No issue at all. If two consenting adults want to get married then I do not understand why anyone else worried about it. Marriage should be about love not what genitalia the two people happen to have, which when you break it down is the only actual difference between gay and straight marriage.

9. celafoe profile image53
    celafoeposted 11 years ago

wow how American public schools have destroyed the moral fiber of the country.
    If you asked this question only 20 short years ago you would not have one answer
    that said it was anything but a moral issue.   Now America is at the point where it will be destroyed soon after they finish legislating homosexualiy.  Sodom and Gamorrah were nothing compared to the US.    Repent the end is NEAR

1. CrescentSkies profile image66
      CrescentSkiesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If god does exist and he would judge someone based on a function given to them due to stress during their mother's pregnancy then i sure as hell don't wanna give that guy one ounce of my trust or faith.

10. CrescentSkies profile image66
    CrescentSkiesposted 11 years ago

I'm just tired of people sticking their noses into what others do in their bedroom. Wherever someone likes to stick their genitals is not anyone's business and I sure as hell don't care.

That aside I think it's a civil issue that's being pushed around in the political circle for no good reason.

11. jstfishinman profile image60
    jstfishinmanposted 11 years ago

To me it is a moral issue, I have had discussions with gays and straights on this issue. For me the real problem is dealing with moral lines. A gay man, in a mens locker room is no different than a straight guy in a women's locker room. Society frowns on the one and doesn't know what to do with the other. The same could be said for a gay women in a women's locker room. Believe me, my friends regardless of their orientation are window shopping unless they are in a committed relationship. This causes a dilemma for society on how to deal with people. I am honest with people, about my Christian beliefs, I leave it up to each individual on whether my beliefs are a deal breaker as far as friendship is concerned.
    My outlook on homosexuality is, it is no worse, or any better, than any other sexual sin mentioned in the Bible. As Christians, we are told to avoid sexual sin. Whether it is a sin or not is laid down by God in His Word. Man's laws change, God's Laws Don't.
    I do find it interesting that Gay rights are constantly talked about, when we have states that say a consenting adult is 14, and pedophilia isn't on the national radar. That to me is also a moral issue, but I'll save it for another day.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)