Are there other universes?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (41 posts)
  1. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

Considering that "our" universe is surrounded by limitless space, have you considered the possibility that Our "big bang" might be just 1 of countless others beyond our awareness?

1. IntimatEvolution profile image69
      IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I hope so qwark, for the good of the human race, I surely hope so.  Another great subject matter by the way!smile

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes, i have, and i think that could be a possibility. energy and matter can 'materialize' out of nowhere, which is what caused the Big Bang, so why wouldn't it happen again, in another place?

1. qwark profile image60
        qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cosette:
        I agree.
        Have you thought of that possibility before?

1. profile image0
          cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you can't help but think about things like this when you're stargazing. i have a telescope and binoculars smile

3. nikki1 profile image59
      nikki1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

perhaps hmm.. we may not be the species, possibly out there..

1. qwark profile image60

Nikki:
        Life can exist in so many forms. Evolution will be at work on any planet that can nurture life. the possiblity exists taht other life could resemble us...but most likely that would be improbable..:-)

2. goldenpath profile image67
    goldenpathposted 14 years ago

I completely agree.  I understand your feelings on matters of faith but I will submit this information of opinion from me.  Creation and, yes, even the chain of gods and deity never end.  The journey of this Earth is but one of a countless repeated scenarios necessary for progression.  Sure, the big bang is but one of a countless number of creational starts.

1. qwark profile image60

Goldenpath:
      Thanks.
      Are you speaking from a religious point of view?...possibly as a "creationist?"

1. goldenpath profile image67
        goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not really.  Just a point of view.  I see it as going along with your statement.  I view no limits to space or even the possibilities of creation that take place in it.  Likewise, I believe in intelligent design and the endless chain of that authority, power and knowledge.

1. qwark profile image60

Topic:
          I'm a very curious guy.....lol and I dont mean i'm strange...:-)
          I love input to consider.:-)

2. qwark profile image60

Goldenpath:
          Can you explain why you believe in intelligent design.
          If you try, pls try to use logic (proofs by reasoning) to explain rather than just opinion or guess...ok?
          Thanks

I doubt it would satisfy as logic is a point of view. 

One little switch in one little muscle making gene is what enables the human brain to continue expanding and learning.  That same muscle gene is also what creates a massive muscle on the cranium of a primate thus fusing the cranium together by the time it is three or four years of age preventing development.  Given the potential in the difference in each of the brains it MUST be more than just  "happenstance" that dictates the formation of the human body to fill the measure of it's spirit.  It cannot be dependent on a simple gene that enables man to produce great works of art.  It cannot be dependent on a simple gene that enables man to invoke justice on behalf of the innocent.  How meaningless and minute our existence would be if it really was only dependent on our genes to define who we are.

On the contrary.  I believe it is the Intelligent Design behind the genes and switches that invokes all things in motion and operates all creation on a level that we cannot possibly fathom to understand.

1. qwark profile image60

Goldenpath:
              Logic is a point of view?
              Logic is a science that deals with the rules and tests of sound thinking and proofs by reasoning.
              You provided me with an opinion not based on logic.
              I can, then, only consider that your reason is simply conjecture with no foundation in fact or reality, right?
              If you say you "believe" in "intelligent design," that means to me that you accept that concept to be true. True? Factual?....and you can offer no logical foundation for that "belief?"
              That is confusing.

Again, that would only be confusing to those who wish not to hear the foundation itself.  I have my facts, my proofs and my grounded concepts.  However, as explained a thousand times before these truths I have learned through the trial and error of my faith.  This is something you don't like to hear and I understand that.  It is the test of faith and the doctrines of that faith that I have come to understand the groundword and foundation of those doctrines.  No, I cannot prove faith or the fruits of that faith to you or anyone else.  That is something that only the self can learn. 

Through the effort of working my beliefs and faith into something actionable I have been given further knowledge of the possibility of man and it's purpose, but only so far as I am ready to receive as of yet.

Not all things can, should or even ought to be explained through "logic" and mathematics.  Most things in life that matter most are learned within and in a language unique to each of our spirits.  It is the language of experience and time.

1. qwark profile image60

Goldenpath:
                  Respectfully, What you offer is trite.
                  I cannot consider you to be a credible "hubber" ref the subject if you cannot or are unable to explain it.
                  But ty for trying..:-)

3. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

No.
    It's not like I would hear anyone of them. So why would I care ?

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

+1 smile

1. tantrum profile image60
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

4. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

I'm gonna watch MMA fights....BBL

5. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

Possibly, but even our own universe is beyond human comprehension, so as Tantrum says....

Our universe may be just part of a molecule that comprises the material of a leg on a piece of furniture in  the living room of someone in a big world of a larger planet in a larger solar system in a larger universe.

The reverse may also be true-- so if you visit me-- treat my furniture with respect.

1. qwark profile image60

Rochelle:
      Thanks.
      I asked that kind of question earlier to inspire "hubbing" about the theory of everything...didnt get much to consider...check my question: Where is our universe.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
        Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I thought about this so long ago that I have stopped thinking about it much. It is outside of my sphere of influence., as are almost all things.

1. qwark profile image60

Rochelle:
          Don't feel like the lone ranger. It is "outside" everyones "sphere-of-influence."  :-)

2. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

the best answer!

6. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I read that many scientists now believe there are different dimensions. I've always wondered about that, too.

1. qwark profile image60

Habee:
      True, and the laws of physics proves that to be true on paper. Research the "super String Theory."

7. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Are there other Universes?

Yes, nothing happens just once. smile

1. qwark profile image60

Cagsil:
      I have to agree.
      The distance across just our milky way galaxy is about 100 k light years...thats 100k times 60 trillion earth miles and there are billions of galaxies in just our universe! Beyond that, I visualise the probability of countless other big bangs taking place at this very moment.

8. Cagsil profile image69

How far would it be for you to see that the Human race located in other Universes? smile

9. Cagsil profile image69

Probably asking these same questions? smile

1. qwark profile image60

cagsil:
      In whatever form they may exist..:-)

1. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, I was talking about Humanoid, like Homosapiens, conscious like we are, you know, the exact same kind of people, but not the exact people.

I hope not to confuse. smile

10. quicksand profile image80
    quicksandposted 14 years ago

I remember a theory that space is actually not limitless. When the expansion caused by the big bang reaches the borders which mark the limitations, then and only then does the big collapse commence.

This theory was backed by a lot of credible evidence. I do not remember much of it. At that time I did not care at all. Now I do! smile

1. qwark profile image60

Hi
      Quick
      Yes, it has been studied and at one time is was called "the bubble universe theory." it would have been compared to shaking a bottle of pop that had no

activity in it but once invigorated...bubbles are produced....this could be happening in space beyond our awareness

11. salt profile image61
    saltposted 14 years ago

i hope so!!

12. jfreemon profile image60
    jfreemonposted 14 years ago

This is a tough one. "Boundless" energy in itself is a misnomer because infinity is defined only as a value without a limit. It's also taken as the metaphorical cap to everything in the universe.

That doesn't stop it from being true, it just makes things extremely tricky. There is some limit to energy and some limit to matter in the universe, because then one could not be conserved when it is changed into the other.

How does this relate to multiple universes? Not very well aside from the fact that there are a limited number of multiple universes. Some exist as matter and some as energy and from that, take what you will.

1. qwark profile image60

Jfreemon:
      pls expand on this: "...there are a limited number of multiple universes. Some exist as matter and some as energy and from that,..."
      Ty.

1. jfreemon profile image60
        jfreemonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry, I got a little wrapped up in thought back there.

What I meant is that there are a limited number of universes. There are those which exist as energy, or in this case, potential energy, which exist only as a possibility based upon the past or present. There are also materialized universes which physically exist.

For example, the one we live in is material. If you can conceive another universe, that is potential.

Of course, this example relies purely on your own perspective and therefore anything you image would be considered potential at this point.

(Even the proven existence of parallel universes could be considered mere potential in this thought.. But let's just assume that violates Occam's Razor.)

1. qwark profile image60

JFreemon:
          Been a long time since I have heard 'occam' razor" used in a chat...lol
          "it is vain to do with more what can be done with less." I can remember this from my college days.
          of course with nothing known about that which happens beyond our universe..."occam's Razor" is appropos.
          It's still an interesting subject and the essence of being human is being curious.
          I love to think of things outside the "box." 
          thanks...:-)

13. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

Ok...time to watch the fights...bbl

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)