Someone is threatening to report me for Copyright Violation

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Richard Ring profile image61
    Richard Ringposted 14 years ago

Hello,

Today on my Hub: http://hubpages.com/hub/Do-I-have-Chron … s-Symptoms I got this message:

"Treating Tonsillitis with Antibiotic" is a copyrighted articles, you must remove THIS article, otherwise, you will be reported for copyright violations.

by playhomes Inc.

I published my article last July! This guy's earliest comment is 2 Months ago?

Am I really in violation of a later coming article? They aren't even related, mine is about a personal experience with Tonsillitis his is about treating it with Antibiotics....

What should I do? Is it something I should ignore?

Thanks,
    Richard

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, a comment isn't a DMCA notice, and if I Google Playhomes Inc it doesn't come up, so it may just be a rather twisted kind of spam.  Does the name link anywhere? 

If you can find your article copied anywhere else on the net (i.e. by him), you should hit him straight back with your own DMCA.

Richard Ringposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Understood. It seems like he's trying to just eliminate the competition.

I think you misunderstand relache, he posted the comment on MY article saying that my article was in violation of his article so I need to remove mine. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

unless you are a medical professional, I would be very careful about writing an article telling people how to make a diagnosis.
      you might want to put a disclaimer on your hub stating that you are not a doctor and to check with a doctor first. he's probably referring to the content about diagnosing a medical condition.

Good advice, I'll put the disclaimer in the hub now.

Whoops! I didn't even think about that I always saw the part in the Hub to add links to other Hubs, never imagined someone would be upset that I linked to them!

Ack! I didn't think about that, I will keep that in mind for next time.

SO many lessons learned today. Thanks for all the support! Amazing smile

3. twuxedo profile image59
      twuxedoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Richard A Great Big IGNORE they haven't a leg to stand on. Treat anything like this with a grain of salt in future, you could have written an Hub, in the time wasted, on playhome, long and short, they were never worth bothering with.

2. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 14 years ago

You're not even the author of the Hub which the person is complaining about.

What are you worried about and why?

3. Richard Ring profile image61

Okay, I just sent Playhomes a friendly message suggesting we just forget everything and enjoy providing different sources of information to the community. Let's hope they drop the topic. smile

Thanks everyone.

I wouldn't have done that, because it reveals your email address to someone who is possibly a spammer. 

Was the name of his article hyperlinked in the comment? Or linked via his username?  If so, the comment was purely an attempt at spam - though why he thought you'd approve it, goodness knows.

4. TerryGl profile image57
    TerryGlposted 14 years ago

If you put your hubpage in article checker http://www.articlechecker.com/ the only duplicate content that comes up is either your own hubpage or insignificant terms.

It would appear this person has a hidden agenda, possibly a link building campaign using your dofollow comment area.

Hey cool, that articlechecker site is pretty handy, bookmarked. Thanks for the check, no more panic then. smile

5. AEvans profile image70
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

After reviewing your hub they are talking about the link toward the bottom . You apparently linked an article that belongs to them, my recommendation is to ask permission to continue using it and apologize letting them know that you were not aware that there were any copyright infringments. Your hub is fine like I said it is simply the link. smile

FYI: http://hubpages.com/hub/Cure-4-Tosilitis playhomes is a hubber let him know that you linked his hub, I believe he thinks you stole it but it is to his/her benefit.

Case solved. smile

I always ask permission before I use a link or a pic on my hubs it is only a lesson learned. smile

AEvans, if a Hubber complained about someone linking to his Hub, he's an idiot!

Richard, you don't have to ask a Hubber's permission to link to their Hub.  You've done him a big favour by linking to his Hub.  It's not a copyright infringement in any way, shape or form.

Having said that, I would remove the link if I were you, since he's been so ungracious.  Anyway, you want visitors to leave your Hub by clicking on your ads, not by going to another Hub and clicking on their ads!

It's good practice to provide links to other relevant Hubs and websites, but put the links at the bottom of the Hub, below the comments.

1. AEvans profile image70
        AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

YOu had to read farther into my comment at the beginning I ran with what all of you were saying and then I did my research and it was another hubber. Everyone was ranting about what should be done, yada, yada, yada but I looked into it, silly you ran with the first half of my comment too! loloolo **sigh** all of us do it. smile

The links I was refering to based on everyone's comments were outside links not internal. smile

6. Richard Ring profile image61

To avoid the fuss I just decided to remove his/her link. I've already sent one message to no reply; would rather not provoke things.

1. AEvans profile image70
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You did fine none of us normally ask permission to use internal links but if some of the hubbers do not understand they get a little sassy, lololo don't worry you did not do anything wrong and I also e-mailed them and explained that to them too. It was a good hub by the way and you also noted a disclaimer which was perfect! smile

7. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years ago

Sound like this Hubber "Playhomes" is a bit of an idiot. Firstly he should be delighted that you have linked to his hub as it should help to increase his traffic. Secondly you have not infringed any copright by using a link to his hub without stealing his text. Thirdly, his hubscore is so low (71) that his sheer ignorance of what gets traffic to his hubs is obvious by his complete lack of hubscore, (not to mention he only has 1 fan).
    I would ignore it if I were you as I am sure the team at hubpages will soon point out to him how beneficial your link to his hub can be if he complains, plus you have done nothing wrong as far as I can tell!

8. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years ago

PS. posted on that guy's hub too and tried to expain to him why he is missing the point as to how beneficial a link to his hub can be, plus what a compliment being linked to is, not to mention the potential income this can encourage. He may well delete my comment, but at least he will have to read it first and see that I actually have made very good arguments for him not throwing a strop over an internal link back to his hub from another hubber.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
      mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually, just in case this person does delete the comment I left on his hub, this is what I wrote:

"It is also worth mentioning that if another hubber links to your hub on their own hub (based on it being on the same, or a similar subject), it can be very beneficial to your hubpage traffic, and therefore potentially very lucrative, as well as encouraging further followers/fans to join your club.

It is a huge compliment to be linked to on another's hub as it shows they appreciated your work as high quality. They have also not infringed on any copyright by simply adding your link to their links capsule, as it isn't as if they stole your text.

I am sure you know where I am coming from on this and hope you can see that your hub was clearly recognised by a fellow hubber as being of a caliber worth being associated with. I hope this helps to earn BOTH of you more income, as it should do if Hubpages works as it normally does when fellow hubbers link to other hubber's hubs.

Happy New Year"

9. AEvans profile image70
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

@ Misty that was a wonderful thing to do! smile Hopefully my e-mail and your comment will make them understand and just like Marissa said they would be an idiot if they did not want another hubber to link to their hub. smile Happy New Year Misty! smile

Thanks AEvans, it needed to be said, and I am sure you too covered this in your email, otherwise, how else do these newbies learn "what works". Anyway, Richard did this guy a favour and didn't deserve a slap in the face for it, (I would be grateful if a hubber linked to one of my hubs).

Happy New Year to you too smile

10. Richard Ring profile image61

Misty and AEVans, very kind of you to help him out. In fact, this whole thing has renewed my own interest in HubPages and hopefully he will continue to build his account further as well! Thanks again everyone.

You are welcome Richard, you did nothing wrong and didn't deserve that reaction. This is probably why you have a hubscore of over 90 and 77 followers, and his score is just over 70 with 1 follower!!!

11. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Ask where they think youn stole it from, check the dates, if it as after yours, threaten him back, and file a DMCA complaint against their ISP1

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)