Will any atheist admit that.....

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (33 posts)
  1. marinealways24 profile image58
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

You don't know evolution is absolute. big_smile

1. profile image53
      (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why admit anything is absolute?

Evolution is a fact as well as a theory. What more do you require other than to understand evolution?

2. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

I think it's all more complicated than we understand it to be. Its probably a combination of both creationism and evolution.

marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree it could be a combination, it could be one or the other or it could be neither. I am referring to evolution as absolute in explaining our differences from other life.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What are you talking about?  Why would I want to discuss anything with you when you do not even know what evolution says? It  certainly says nothing about explaining why we are "different," from other life. lol

It is only your ridiculous arrogance and assumptions that tell you this.  Are we "different" from other life? Are you special? lol lol

The fact is that we evolved along with every other form of life on the planet - and probably the universe - if there is any other life out there.

What do you think evolution says about us being "different" from other forms of life?

If you mean the fact that we are self aware - there are several different "theories" to explain how that came about - but - if you are looking for the answer to "why" and "what is my purpose"? You will need to speak to one of the religionists - they claim to have an answer to that.

Us evolutionists go with "I don't know." LOL

Which is not absolute enough for you it seems. wink

Maybe I should have worded that better. I should have known you would nit pick anything I worded wrong of leave open to interpretation. big_smile

When I say it doesn't explain the differences, I am saying it doesn't answer all of the questions of why we differ from other life.

I think we are more complex to other life, it doesn't seem like an assumption to me, just logic and common sense. We are the dominate life and the most complex I think.

I agree that we evolved and share many common traits with other life. I'm not convinced that there couldn't have been intervention before or during. I think anyone that is convinced is lacking imagination or using faith to fill in the unanswered questions.

What is the leading theory/theories for how and why we developed self awareness?

If science was content with "I don't know", how evolved would science be right now compared to thinking "I want to know"?

1. profile image53

Science is NOT content with "I don't know"

The problem is the people who expect all the answers in the universe to be handed to them on a silver platter, immediately. If the answers aren't made readily available, they defer to the magical and mysterious.

I agree. I don't think I have listed anything magic or mysterious though. What is magic? If a person from ancient times seen a lighter spark and light, they may think it was magic for being ahead of their time. Much of our science today would be looked at as magic in ancient civilization. Maybe it does take thoughts of magic or imagination to see what isn't yet explained.

I think you need to go do some research, because history tells us that when you have an answer - especially a divine one, you will fight tooth and nail against anyone who challenges that answer.

lol Very easy for you to make assumptions that I am "protecting divine secerets" to turn you religious. Much easier to assume than it is to think isn't it? How scientific are your assumptions? You are the one looking to fight for stimulation. I am just trying to get some ideas. I already said I believe evolution, just not absolute. There are too many unknows to claim it's absolute and already fully explained.

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

Science is thinking "I want to know," but has to say "I don't know," until there is an answer. This is the differnce between science - which is always asking "I want to know' and you personal brand of religion which says' I have an answer."

I can speculate - as can anyone.

The Star Goat did it. Prove me wrong. wink

You are just using the ages old "Well - we are pretty special, therefore there must be a reason/god/purpose/important mission/ whatever...."

LOL Science - and me - has to say "I don't know."

You think you can come up with an answer just by going "I know, it must have been....... "

lol Explain why many scientists have claimed evolution as absolute including your leading atheist's Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss when it is not absolute. Is this science to you? Sounds like religion to me. I didn't know such self acclaimed intelligent scientists claimed things as absolute when majority science philosopy is to not claim anything absolute as to always leave room for error. So the leading atheist scientists are lying, correct? What kind of science is this, science of faith?
              I don't think you like to speculate about things that aren't already written by someone else with a degree. The star goat doesn't have a degree. big_smile

LOL

Evolution is "absolute" in that it happens. There is a mountain of evidence that it happens. The fact that you are unable to understand it and it does not answer your "why" question?

Meh. Go join the religionists where you belong.

lol So you claim it's absolute as well without all being explained. I'm glad to see that you are no different than the religious for having faith in something not explained. Very easy for you to claim it's simply that I don't understand when there are atheist much bigger than you that can't answer questions of evolution. Why do you feel that you have the explanations of evolution when leading scientists don't? In that mountain of evidence, it still doesn't prove it's case without a doubt.

LOLOL

There is proof that we evolved. The fact that that does not answer your question is neither here nor there.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

All being explained? LOLOLOL

Evolution happens and there is a mountain of evidence. But - you cannot even frame the question you think that evolution fails to answer. wink

2. qwark profile image59
                    qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Marine:
                    Micro evolution has been proved beyond doubt.
                    Macro hasnt
                    In the micro world, evolution takes place very rapidly. In virus and bacteria evolution has been empirically proved.
                    Larger, complex organisms take much longer to mutate and make the changes necessary to call it "evolution."
                    "Macro" evolution is still a theory but it will finally be proved too...
                    When it is, then one can say with confidence that where ever there is life, evolution will be at work ...absolutely.
                    Marine, man cannot destroy the earth...:-)

2. profile image53

Citation, please. I doubt they said that.

3. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

I do not know if evolution is absolute but it makes more sense than the alternative, at least to me.

I agree it makes more sense than religion, this doesn't make me fully believe it though. Not suggestion that you do.

4. marinealways24 profile image58
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

Where are you Knowles? Will you accuse me of defending Santa or the Goat God?

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
      Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OH Geez... it is a Star Goat not a goat god...

wink smile big_smile

lol Whoops. Thanks for the correction.

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
          Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

wink

5. qwark profile image59
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

Marine:
    Give us your thoughts.
    We'll take it from there.

My thoughts are, I can't think of one animal that comes close to the capabilities and complexities of humans.

1. qwark profile image59
        qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Marine:
        ..and I can't think of one animal that can compare with the special characteristics inherent to dolphins, bats, and other very specialized animals.
        We are just another animal that has evovled a special characteristic: consciousness.
        I hope you arent implying that we are of any greater import in the universe than any of them?

We are the only ones that can destroy the planet aren't we? We are also the only ones that can explore the universe unless you know something I don't. I don't disagree that there is other live with amazing capabilities, I do disagree that there are any close to the infinities of our capabilities.
          How is evolution of consciousness explained, natural selection or genetic random relative mutation?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)