Traffic?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)
  1. JonnyH profile image58
    JonnyHposted 15 years ago

Go on then, give me both barrels: http://hubpages.com/hub/Female-hair-los … ere-a-cure

This is my best scoring hub (73). I've got a bit of traffic, maybe one visitor a day, so how do I improve on that?

Cheers
    J

2. hot dorkage profile image76
    hot dorkageposted 15 years ago

It is a good hub and there is definitely an audience for it.   However it is on a technical topic, and it is truthful and accurate like mine aim to be and it DOESN'T push a miracle solution.     Truthful and accurate does not sell.  For example in weight loss, nobody wants to hear the truth, "get your spoon out of the peanut butter jar and go for a walk for frak's sake" they'd much rather spend $19.99 on a "miracle that can flatten the  belly in just nine days".  Try writing a weight loss hub that does the math of calories consumed during various exercises vs. calories ingested.  That's the skinny on that subject if you'll pardon the pun.  I guarantee it will be greeted with Yawns.   No one wants to be told they NEED to eat less and exercise more.  They already know that, what they WANT is a short cut so they don't have to do anything difficult.   Read "Amusing ourselves to death" by Neil Postman.  It addresses the difficulty of getting people to listen to the truth without jazzing it up with some entertainment value.  This is the internet, the nanosecond attention span and the five bazillion competing google results on the same topic.  I fear the internet is degenerating into a wasteland where people bounce from sizzle to sizzle and never really taste the steak.  I have the same problem as you.  I do my best to title my hubs with enticing titles, but I have to be satisfied that they deliver on the promise implied in the title.  I am fine with injecting a little humor here and there but I want my hubs to be informative, for the most part. 

My prediction:  Articles, blog posts, etc. will ultimately be tagged with some sort of indicator as to how commercial it is.  Hub Pages articles should only be 1, meaning yes they have passive google ads just to help pay for it being there.   I don't mind inobtrusive Google ads on informative pages, but I HATE blatantly commercial pages popping up when I'm trying to do serious research.  For example when I researched colloidal minerals a long time ago, the SE's brought up a bazillion pages that were worthless because they were ALL selling it.  I discount ANY info provided by someone who sells ANYTHING. 

HP has made what seems to be a lame stab at this by having the option to declare your hub   non commercial.  I'm not sure what that does, would anyone enlighten us?  I'm not sure what HP can do without some buyin from the SE's  Non commercial hubs SHOULD rise higher in the SE's  but there would have to be some exchange of data with google. 
    Less ads but more visits... ??

JonnyHposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I hear you, but I think you'll miss out.

From my point of view, we see the real-life of hair loss treatment .. thousands of people every year. So we have information to provide. Sure, we're selling too. But you won't get our experience from anywhere else. So by discounting any info from anyone who sells anything, you're missing a useful source of information.

If you wanted to write about "how to make a car", the people who know the most about that are the commercial enterprises who make cars, where else would you get any info from?

And I know someone who sells propolis and who is financing research into its efficacy in particular areas. I know about research being bent to support commercial need, of course, but someone's got to fund the research.

From my point of view, I do get irritated being called a spammer in forums when I'm genuinely trying to offer advice based on experience. I guess that's because, rather than writing out information on a hair loss drug, for instance, I'll just point to our page that explains everything.

I think helping an old lady across the road is marketing. You've identified a need and organised yourself to help. OK, you didn't take any payment, but you got goodwill. So commercial ain't all bad.

But I absolutely see the other side too, I just wanted to say that :-)

All the best
      J

3. Rik Ravado profile image86
    Rik Ravadoposted 15 years ago

Yes i agree with HD.  This is a well written hub and deserves more traffic.  Keywords seem OK.  You could make it more visual with larger photos, perhaps add a video or news capsule. 

You could try making it more 'fun' but I accept it is a serious subject.  Look at how a woman's magazine tackles this kind of subject.  You may find it gradually climbs up the SE rankings.  You could also try posting links elsewhere (blog, forums etc.)

Would anyone care to hint at how much traffic you'd be happy with if it was yours?

Or would you be looking for a search engine position?

I'm just wondering how to judge when I'm done promoting it? I know the answer is never, but thought I'd ask anyway :-)

2. JonnyH profile image58

The pics looked a bit weird, big, and we have an 'ad' on YouTube that I had in here but removed it when HP reckoned the page was too commercial. Maybe that's just a links thing, I'll try to add it back in :-)

4. cflynn profile image72
    cflynnposted 15 years ago

Hi
    yes that is a very good hub. I would suggest  the following

> format it a little differently such as the 5 top causes of female hairloss or 5 top tips in tackling hair loss...that type of thing
    >write the last paragraph more as a plan of action also.... How to tackle Female Hair Loss (a) identify the cause  (b) start appropriate treatment (c) monitor treatment using photographs

> explain how to do this (the phtography)...pros and cons of asking a friend or DIY photographs

>tips on avoiding/identifying scammy treatments
    > a list  of old wives tails re hair loss

>pictures of famous women who have had  hair loss and  the story of how they dealt with it.
    >People find bulleted or list type articles easy to scan  to see if it is what they are looking for.

I know if i see 10 SEO tips i will scan it to see if I know them all.
    good luck

5. JonnyH profile image58
    JonnyHposted 15 years ago

Thanks all, sounds like it's not necessarily the hub (although I love cflynn's ideas, I'll definitely work through those, thanks, and Rik, great idea about how the Women's magazines tackle it), it's more about social bookmarking, links and so on, so maybe I'll concentrate more effort on that.

6. premsingh profile image60
    premsinghposted 15 years ago

I can guarantee that you may get more than a visitor per day (kidding) from tommorrow if you just do few things right now:
    1. submit it to msn free site submission/ live search site submission
    2. subscribe  RSS Feed to Yahoo, blogline, newsgator, newsvibes etc
    3. Bookmark to del.icio.us
    4. crosslink with other hubs
    There are several other ways to get more free traffic but you may test these tricks first. I am sure traffic will increase to your site though gradually.

7. cflynn profile image72
    cflynnposted 15 years ago

Hi
    I just remembered the name of one quite famous British lady with pronounced hair loss. Gail Porter. she talks about it often and chose just to shave off the last bits of hair.  You might find some video of Her.

I agree with the magazines angle suggestion...the know how to make a topic a bit sexier... even hairloss...that will get the traffic too.

You could do a piece on women who choose to remove their hair...eg Sinead OConner and why they do it. I have heard Sinead O Conner say she grows her hair ( a little) when she is feeling happy and that Hacking at her hair was a kind of masochistic self mutilation thing when she was a child ( and was  being abused).

Exploring what hair represents to women may draw more traffic but is it the type of traffic you want? does it matter?? If just getting Traffic is important in the beginning to raise the Hubs profile you could add some Brittney stuff exploring the topic in a non trashy way...e.g what do psychiatrists have to say about it? I know i wondered about that at the time..

good luck

Caitriona

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)