We are a country run by a 'Me First' government.

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (28 posts)
  1. JeniferD profile image59
    JeniferDposted 14 years ago

How do you deal with this?  The back room deals, the closed-door sessions, the secrecy, the lies, and the damage control operations in place every time a scandal hits the news.  How do we handle this, I mean other than the usual agenda of protests and riots?

1. Ohma profile image60
      Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

we join HubPages and rant. LOL
      Sorry I know that is not what you are looking for. Reality is that there are no honest politicians, and even if they were when they got elected they change the minute they get to Washington.
      We are forced to elect the lesser of two evils in every election so the best we can hope for is that they might spare a few morsels of respect for the people that voted them into office and occasionally do the right thing my the citizen of the United States.

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image73
        Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I thought you were from Canada?

1. Ohma profile image60

Sorry York Pennsylvania.

Nothing to be sorry for, I'm not sure why I thought that...

must be your accent...lol

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well....

and I hate to say this...

but, historically,  this type of blatant corruption and tyranny leads to something that I really hope doesn't happen.   War.

And if the spin doctors in the White House had an ounce of integrity, they'd start spewing confession and accountability from their mouths instead of crap.  But they know what they're doing!  How could they NOT?   I half think they WANT to see a literal uprising from the People so they can cut 'em down.

1. wyanjen profile image71
        wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This White House operates no differently than the last one. Or the one before. Or the one before that.
        You don't hesitate to call out pols when you hold the opposite viewpoint. That's fine.
        But, may I point out that the corruption and tyranny that existed in the last administration did not get the type of ugly and hateful outcry that this one is getting.

Speaking of war, how about we finish up the one that got handed down from the last admin before we start looking ahead to the next one?

1. Padrino profile image60
          Padrinoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why hasn't this administration stopped those wars? I voted for Obama to get change that I could believe in, I don't believe he has changed anything but the drapes in the Oval Office!

2. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Not sure either since I have been so vacal the last couple of days about the Illegals in the U.S.

<shrug> I dunno

3. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

I asked in the unemployment thread where you live but I guess you did nt see it.

I did, I said Just south of Annapolis.

1. Ohma profile image60

Sorry I missed that.
        Have you concidered a career in corrections?

I have done that already for five years (see my hub My time as a Professional Killer).

But I have Tattoos now that disqualify me for uniformed jobs. I really thought my last job was going to be the one I retired from.

1. Ohma profile image60

Even in the prison system?

anything that shows outside the uniform disqualifies you from employment. Short sleeve uniform included.

2. srwnson profile image60
            srwnsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Consider driving a truck? Has your unemployment run out?

Years ago (unemployment ran out)

Hmmm driving a truck.... I hadn't thought of that one...how much does schooling cost? I have chronic neck pain do to having my neck broken and fused together from c-4 to c-7, being on pain killers might be a problem for that one huh...

I was going to try dive school the Doctors told me I was dis-qualified for that, because of my medical.

1. srwnson profile image60

Depending on your state, most states offer to pay half your tuition which runs about 6000, then you go to work for a company that hires students and the company pays the rest, some states pay all.  Course Takes about 3 weeks.

Many companies now such as PTH offer automatic trucks but I never recommended them in mountain driving.

2. Ohma profile image60

My dad hauled cars for Anchor Motors in Wilmington De. most of my life. Not a Bad living. I also have a single cousin that drives 9 months then parties all summer.

When I was training, I had many woman students.

2. srwnson profile image60

Taking medication shouldn't disqualify you, you need to see a doctor that gives DOT physicals.

will do, if I can afford it...

Check with your local job service, also consider companies like Schnieder that will pay for everything and pay you while you learn. Don't stay with them though, get about a year under your belt and move on.

4. Doug Hughes profile image60
    Doug Hughesposted 14 years ago

Jennifer - the only excuse for the sorry state of affairs that every democracy is - with scandals and back room deals and secrecy - which has ALWAYS gone on in this country - and every other democracy to varying degrees .. but I lost my train of thought...
    the only excuse for tolerating the crap is that democracy is ten times better than any other form of government devised by man.

Do I think it can be immproved?  It can, by electing good people, and that's hard because 'good' people want nothing to do with politics. So all our choices are frequently between idealoges or outright crooks, neither group capable of providing good government.

The next best thing, working with the crooks and idealoges we have, is to be informed and alert and engaged. Everybody is honest when the boss is watching. We are the boss.

Jennifer, I looked at your profile and you have a military background much more extensive than I do. But I'm a vet. You know the difference between process and mission. You train and train on process - the way it should work. The book. The rules. If you get into a combat situation, you have to be willing to compromise on process and bend or flat-out break the rules to complete the mission. (Example - The Battle of Midway) 

The tricky thing is deciding if an officer or elected official bent or broke the rules - as in the case of closed door sessions and special deals, for his own benefit, or as a nescessary concession to complete the mission. Thomas Jeffferson violated the Constitution more ways than I can count to complete the Louisianna Purchase and he knew it when he did it. It's never as cut-and-dried as we wish it was.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)