Have any other women had breastcancer scares ?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Sunshiney31 profile image67
    Sunshiney31posted 14 years ago

I have 5 nodules 3 in one breast and 2 in the other.Last year at my yearly exam they were not there,so the Dr is very concerned.I go in on Monday for a mammogram.I'm pretty dag on nervous.I knew of one of the lumps and that is why I made the appointment.Honestly I though maybe I was just imagining it was there.So when he shared my concern i got scared.I'm only 32 but have a very strong familt history of breast cancer on my Moms side.She actually died from it.So I'm just hoping some other people can share thier personal experiences with me.thanks....

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes those nodules are cysts so until test results come back don't get all stressed out. Let them biopsy the nodules if they have to after the mammogram but don't let it ruin your day. Stay positive! smile

2. creativelycc profile image62
      creativelyccposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can empathize with you since I was in the same situation.  Try to keep a positive attitude and stay focused.  I actually had a scare back in December. A lump was discovered in my right breast by a mammogram and of course I had to go back for the magnification mammogram, then the biopsy.  The lump was too hard to be aspirated so they had to schedule me to have it surgically removed.  The tumor came back benign.  My sister and grandmother both had breast cancer.  I hope and pray that yours are cyst or a benign fibroadenoma tumor which young women like yourself tend to get.

2. h.a.borcich profile image60
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

Hi Sunshiney,
      Take a deep breath....let it out....and smile:)
      No matter what you can do this - whatever it may be. I am a breast cancer survivor and have been in your shoes.
      You are on top of it and doing the next step. Is it your first mammogram? If it is - remember a man must have made that machine smile It is "normal" to have enlargement pictures in addition to the diagnostic mammogram. Sometimes even an ultra sound. 80 % of biopsies are benign findings. So breath, smile, and keep your appt and keep updating.
    You can email me if you want - it is nerve rattling to find a lump. Pamper yourself some. In my prayers, Holly
    PS Avoid googling cancer! If you must google - look up fibrocystic breast disease...at your age it is a likly diagnosis and benign.

3. SimeyC profile image89
    SimeyCposted 14 years ago

My wife is a two time survivor going on seven years now - she was 40 when diagnosed and is clear now. Obviously every case is difference, but the key these days is early detection....

My wife had stage 0 cancer - yes there is a stage 0 cancer - and this is what they oftendetect for younger people if anything - you should also know that there are many other reasons for lumps - and most of these are benign - it could simply be very dense muscles or ligaments....

The key is you are doing the right thing and getting it checked out.

Good luck...

4. Fluffymetal profile image75
    Fluffymetalposted 14 years ago

I did last June.  Going for a second mammogram this month.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I'm another breast cancer survivor, 12 years this month since I was diagnosed.

Hopefully, you won't be diagnosed with cancer. But if you are, it's one of the most survivable cancers out there.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

6. Sunshiney31 profile image67

Thank you guys,and I will keep you posted as I find out.

7. h.a.borcich profile image60

Hi Sunshiney,

It is Monday and I think you have the mammogram today. Just wanted to pop in to let you know I am keeping you in prayers. Remember there are survivors here who cn help you get through it. Praying for a negative test smile Holly

Sunshiney31posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much Holly you are a truely sweet person for remembering me !  I go today for the Mammogram and I will let you know how it goes..

8. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

As I write this, I am in the waiting room of the hospital (wifi okay in this one.) waiting for my mother to have an MRI on her breast.

They've been watching it for 3 years now and she's had 2 to 3 mammograms a year. So I'm sure they are on top of it.

I wish you well with all of your tests and hope for good health.

My mother is an 18-year colon cancer survivor, so I know that things can work out well, even when the news is scary.

9. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

Good luck!! dont panic. I found a lump in my breast once, and my Dr. had it removed, it turned out to be a benign cyst. Its super scary but its good your getting your check ups. It may be  not cancer. Early detection is the best way to get rid of it!!

Yea so I'm back from the Mammo place,and the Dr came out to discuss 2 nodules he was concerned about.I am scheduling the ultra sound today.He is concerned because they look calcified? I have no idea what all this means. Hopefully you who have gone through this befor can give me a heads-up... What will the ultra sound tell them that the Mammogram did not ?

1. profile image0
        Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

alot. calcified would mean something like its hard. an ultra sound will be able to tell if its soft tissue or a hard solid lump or something all full of liquid. If they tel lyou that yo need a biopsy, dont be scared! they do that, it doesnt mean automatically its cancer. I had to have one, and it all turned out fine. Hang in there!!

Ok well I will heed your advice thanks again..

h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nelle is right - ultra sound will determine if it is a fluid or solid lump. Fluid ones a just cysts. Solid ones are not always cancer - fibrocystic breast disease is benign, but they usually follow up to be sure. The calcifications are not always cancer either. They look to see if they are micro or macro calcifications - I have calcifications they watch carefully in my good breast.
        Sometimes the ultra sound doesn't give the dr enough info so they proceed to a biopsy - still not panic time. So don't be alarmed if they do that next. Fibroadenomas (benign breast lumps)can look like cancer but aren't always definative until they have a sample to be sure.
        Most of my left breast has been removed over the years. I had cysts and dense breasts. The fibrocystic breast disease is typical in younger women and can look suspicious - twice they did lumpectomies after biopsy and it wasn't cancer. Years later I did develop breast cancer so they did another lumpectomy and took a sentinal lymphnode. It din't come back and was low stage smile
        You should ask for a copy of your reports to keep a record btw. Are you having this done with local drs or a teaching hospital like a  university?  Keep the appointments and keep posting. You are doing good smile Holly

1. profile image0
          Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

my cysts were solid, no fluid inside... I have no idea if that matters, but..just saying...just in case it helps anyone to be less nervous.

1. tingyi2521 profile image54
            tingyi2521posted 14 years agoin reply to this

studies have found that green tea can prevent breastcancer. Then, what are you waiting for ? Come on and start drinking green tea

10. Sunshiney31 profile image67

Next step is a breast surgeon and biopsy,so wish me luck and some prayers..in fact my left vbreast came up clean ,the right is what they are more concerned about...so we will see

1. h.a.borcich profile image60

Hi Sunshiney,

Glad you are following this through and you will get through this! Keep in mind the majority of biopsies result in benign findings smile Here for you if I can help, and many prayers for you, God Bless, Holly

Hi Sunshiney,
        Just checking in on you! When is the biopsy scheduled for?
        Also, if you find it nessessary - I have extensive current information readily available on facilities, dr bio's and data on leading edge treatments. I network heavily with other cancer survivors and may be able to help you get to the best of whatever you may need.
        Still praying for a negative outcome, but I want you to know I am not a fair weather friend. Email if you want, God Bless, Holly

Really Holly that information would be wonderful,thank you so much for your concern and prayers..... I guess whatever information you think would be relevent for me now?

1. SimeyC profile image89
          SimeyCposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sunshiney31: I don't want to be the Harbinger of Doom - I just wanted to say that even if the Biopsy doesn't come out well, the modern treatments and radiation etc are excellent these days - and although it is not easy to go through, there is an excellent opportunity of being cancer free for many many years. Form the looks of all the wonderful people on here, you already have a support group should you need one.

From a husband's perspective, I found that my wife was amazingly strong and positive and this was a huge factor in her healing - she kept her 'chin up' and was very pleased that a side effect of the radiation meant that she doesn't have to shave under one of her arms any more LOL.

OK that's the doom and gloom over - from all the great advice you are getting her, you obviously now know that there is a good chance that there is no cancer or it is benign....you are in my prayers (and my wifes).

For the next few hours I will be finishing up our taxes - sad
          Then I will get an email out to you - you'll know it is from me lol
            I do want to reiterate what Simey has said - IF it is cancer - the treatments available now are better than they have ever been. I am a breast cancer survivor, too, for several years now:) I have friends who have beat advanced breast cancer, too!
            Just know that knowledge is power. If you are prepared with  an arsenal if you need it you will be in the best position to face off and make decisions smile
            Still praying it is a benign condition smile Holly

11. profile image0
    pinkyleeposted 14 years ago

my mama did but they removed the lump and it was not cancerous

12. h.a.borcich profile image60

Update to Sunshiney....taxes are not yet done but I am:( I will have to email you tomorrow - likely early afternoon at the rate I am going! Holly

thanks Holly I go to see the breast sugeon on Wednesday of this week to see about getting the biopsy done..

13. h.a.borcich profile image60

Hi Sunshiney,
      Just a reminder that I will keep you in prayers tomarrow especially. I sent an email asking a few questions and I included my phone number if you'd rather "talk"  than type:)
    Here if I can help you, Holly smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)