Removing Hubs Really Does Boost Traffic & Earnings

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (51 posts)
  1. tamron profile image66
    tamronposted 11 years ago

I have been deleting and moving hub to my blog.  The UN-featured hubs with no hope.  Man I was shocked to see a big boost in traffic and earnings.

I moved over 20 hubs which took 2 days.  I had $3 in change before I deleted these hubs.  Now I have $15 what a difference and my traffic has boosted as well.  Close to 200 more visitors a day more than my usual.

1. LongTimeMother profile image92
      LongTimeMotherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'll be interested to hear what happens to your blog now that you've placed them there. smile

1. dalechansenda profile image61
        dalechansendaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

smile haha me too

2. profile image0
      Daniella Lopezposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have noticed this as well. However, I think it has more to do with random changes and not necessarily from me deleting low ranking Hubs.

3. thisisoli profile image71
      thisisoliposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No-followed, no-indexed hubs do not appear to google.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 11 years ago

One of the problems with making statements like this is that there are so many variables.

It could be that you removed your Hubs just when a Panda update occurred, which worked in your favour.  Or maybe HubPages changed something that worked in your favour.

For instance, Glenn Stok had some unfeatured Hubs "come back to life" and saw an decrease in traffic.   I saw some Hubs come back to life and saw an increase in traffic. 

It's always hard to know what caused the change.

1. Cardisa profile image89
      Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In the last two days my traffic increased as well. I am now seeing little red triangles which I had totally forgotten existed.

What causes those little red triangles? Traffic or hub hoppers' ratings? Sometimes I see them even when the numbers for that hub don't seem to have climbed.

1. Louise Lately profile image60
          Louise Latelyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The red ones indicate a boost in traffic and blue arrows indicate a fall - the reasons for this can be numerous

Thanks, Louise. But I thought 'traffic' meant the number of views. If the number of views is not particularly impressive, I was wondering if it indicated some hub hopper had rated the hub. The hub score itself hasn't changed, just the addition of an arrow.

I see what you mean - I am not actually sure how it is measured. My hub views are not so impressive either but one hub has got two red arrows for some reason. Also, there often seems to be an issue with how regularly the stats are updated (mine currently states '17 hours ago'..).

I had a double arrow a few days ago. Couldn't understand why. Had both red and blue in the singles at different times.

Took me a while to figure out that the 24 hour figures mean the 24 hours immediately preceding the '17 hours ago' type update, and that's good. Makes sense now.

The delay in updating can be very frustrating. I waited for more than two days not long ago. My last update however was only 3 hours ago. Hopefully your next update will come along any minute. smile

Thanks LongTimeMother! Didn't know about the 24 hour figures in the stats. Very useful:)

I am currently trying to figure out why I am having trouble editing my new hubs. I can add photos but can't add text. Searching through help files and forums etc. If I can't find an answer I will have to ask a question.

There must be an answer here somewhere. Oh, if only it was just a matter of having an idea and typing the words. lol. I currently have about half a dozen half-baked hubs. I've finally managed to find all my photos, but get error messages and can't add words.

2. Cardisa profile image89
              Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In my case it's search engine traffic as those hubs have aged a bit and are now getting some Google attention..lol. Whenever I see hubs getting an increase in views I usually check my stats.

A bit like seeing signs of life and checking the pulse. smile

3. DrMark1961 profile image95
              DrMark1961posted 11 years agoin reply to this

It does indicate traffic, but it is all relative. I have a hub that gains between 0-2 views per day, then one day it gets 4. Huge increase (percentagewise), it gets a red arrow.
              I have another hub that gets about 150 views per day. One day it gets 165. Small increase, percentagewise, and it does not have a red arrow. Of course, it would not have a blue arrow either unless it dropped down to about 75.

4. Millionaire Tips profile image89
              Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think it is done as a percentage.  So five additional views wouldn't mean much for a hub that gets a lot of traffic, but five additional views on a hub that doesn't get any traffic would give you a red arrow.

1. Susana S profile image93
                Susana Sposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yep it is done on a percentage basis. If a hub with 1 view per day suddenly gets 3 views that's a 200% increase and will get a red arrow or maybe even two!

2. Simone Smith profile image86
      Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very true. It's nearly impossible to know exactly what has caused a fluctuation in traffic. All we can really do is try to adhere to the best practices that are known to be effective over time (such as regular publication of high quality content).

3. wabond profile image56
    wabondposted 11 years ago

I find this worrying,  It looks like there will come a time when only hubs endorsing products made by large companies will be acceptable.

Hi there! how come? - do you mean because they get higher up the rankings in Google?

2. LongTimeMother profile image92

lol. No big companies involved in the production of my organic vegetables. That would take me out. smile

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image87
      DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I hope it does not come to that, wabond.  I am not interested in the least in promoting mass-produced products via my hubs.  I will not be a shill for greedy corporations.
      The most they'll get out of me is a nod in an Amazon capsule, IF there is an available product relevant to the subject matter of my article.
      I write on a wide variety of topics, and not more than a very few (less than 5)  out of over 200 are actually about something you can buy--and 2 of those are just book reviews.

4. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wabond I'm confused. What does low traffic hubs being removed have to do with big companies?

For the most part, information writing on the internet gets the most traffic. If you're answering someone's question well enough, you'll get traffic.

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

If you have made these changes within the last 3 three weeks, it's more likely a coincidence.  Many hubbers have seen a significant increase in traffic in this time period.  Some non-featured hubs are coming back to life on their own.

1. Rock_nj profile image90
      Rock_njposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My organic search engine traffic to my Hubs is up recently too.  I am now getting the same amount of organic traffic to my Hubs as I used to get when spending time promoting my Hubs actively.  Some of this has to do with me focusing on more popular topics and researching keywords, but there does appear to be a general uptick in search engine traffic to most of my Hubs.

2. galleryofgrace profile image73
      galleryofgraceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

just want to share this. I had an idled hub which had not  been indexed by Google for 2 months.
      But Bing had found  it in the previous 24 hours. This is puzzling to me .

5. ALJae profile image60
    ALJaeposted 11 years ago

Giving your page a spring cleaning really does help. It is not a coincidence.

6. ComfortB profile image85
    ComfortBposted 11 years ago

I haven't done any spring cleaning and I've seen over a 50% rise in traffic. wink

Spring growth. Lucky you, ComfortB. Your hubs might be in full flower by summer. lol.

7. profile image0
    Beth37posted 11 years ago

I love when you get TWO red arrows, and you get all excited and you follow the row over to the actual number and it's usually like a six.

1. ComfortB profile image85
      ComfortBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol ha ha ha

8. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 11 years ago

I really miss the box where you could tag keywords. Is there any sneaky way of identifying specific keywords for a hub that I am not aware of? Seems a bit much to expect search engines to identify them without help.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
      mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The search engines never could see those 'tagged keywords', they were only ever used internally, and even HP stopped using them a long time back although we still had the option to add them (in other words it was a pointless exercise for us from a while ago). If you visit the individual hub you have written, then click on the 'stats' option at the top of the page and select the 'search' tab you can see how people found your hub via search engines i.e. what search terms they used. This is a pretty good indicator or what keywords are working for your more successful articles.

2. WryLilt profile image88

You realise that every word in your hub is a keyword? smile A keyword is simply any word that people type into Google to find your hub. Yes, Google will pay more attention to words you put in titles and subtitles, but you can also get Google hits based on a sentence hardly related to your main topic, or even from comments visitors have left on your hubs.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're misunderstanding how it works.  The search engines don't need any help to work out what your keywords are, and they never paid any attention to tags anyway, even when they were visible to them (which they weren't, long before they disappeared altogether). 

The search engines work out what your keywords are, based on how often you mention them and related words in your text.  That's what matters.

1. WryLilt profile image88

+1

9. tamron profile image66

Sorry it took so long to get back with you all.  No I deleted and moved hub to my blog that were 2,3,4 years old that never earned a cent.

Only had a couple 100 page views.  I figure if you have an article and you do not have 365 page views in a year its dead.

I edited about 5 of those articles still no comment and no traffic.  At least if they are not in search people that visit my blog will visit those article since lots of my post and traffic come from Google on my blog.

I also make it easy for people to share my post.  I have several widgets that feature my post so when someone visits a post their is always a chance they will visit a few other post while they are there..

1. profile image0
      Casimiroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've been doing "cleanup" on stale hubs. It's amazing how bad some of those looked to me after not reading them for so long. smile  Still not quite ready to do some serious cleaning out of the goose-eggs, though. I'm waiting for a visit from my muse, so that I can pump out 10 hubs, and after that I won't feel so bad about diminishing my total hub number.

Now, the big question I have for you, ... are the moved hubs doing you any good on the blog?

1. tamron profile image66
        tamronposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Casimiro

As far as traffic after the move.  It's to soon to tell because so far no Google juice yet but I am getting visits to those old hubs from visitors that found my blog from Google that are indexed.

I will send you a screenshot then send you another screenshot in a few weeks. Now to answer your question they are seeing more traffic then they have for months.
        You are talking going from 0 to 16 or more visits.

10. Ahsan Ejaz profile image66
    Ahsan Ejazposted 11 years ago

So basically you are saying that we should move to blog?

11. tamron profile image66

No you have only been here 3 weeks your hubs need more time to get traffic.  Mine have been here 2 to 4 years that never got much traffic.

12. Grant's World profile image80
    Grant's Worldposted 11 years ago

I recently experienced a spike in traffic when i switched from google adsense to the HubPages ad program. My clicks on ebay ads also rose, weird but true.

13. ptosis profile image68
    ptosisposted 11 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7893839_f248.jpg

I deleted or unpublished hubs - I was leaving HP because of the huge drop in $$ - now it seems to be climbing up again - why? I don't think it was the removal - or having my google+ account linked with HP but for there must of been a 'fight' between HP and google and now it's over.

1. Rock_nj profile image90
      Rock_njposted 11 years ago

I just noticed something interesting along the lines of this forum discussion.  I've also had a nice boost in Google views lately.  I checked the indexing for my Hubs in Google Webmaster Tools, and surprisingly, about of quarter of my Hubs were no longer indexed, but the ones that are indexed are seeing a boost in traffic.

2. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
      Paul Edmondsonposted 11 years ago

@ptosis We've seen that curve before.  Sometime it's the rankings of one high traffic hub that does it, other times it's the entire account that goes down and up.

@rock_nj We've noticed that Google's information in webmaster tools may not be that accurate for a subdomain because google is sometimes showing pages on the subdomain which tracks correctly in webmaster tools and sometimes they're showing Hubs on hubpages.com which doesn't track correctly in webmaster tools.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)