Obamacare! vote for or against. Vote here now.

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (52 posts)
  1. profile image0
    James Agbogunposted 14 years ago

Considering the magnitude of the healthcare reform discuss, it is petinent that the position of the majority is extracted, vapourised and conveyed to converge on ground zero. What is your position? vote here now!

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

what means petinent?

1. profile image0
        James Agbogunposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Pertinent=Appropriate.

2. Tom Cornett profile image82
        Tom Cornettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Silly RM...petinent = doggy style  smile

Cool.  what's pectulent mean, teabagging?

1. Tom Cornett profile image82

Nope...that means Catholics can't eat sausage on friday.  smile

1. Colebabie profile image61
              Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well I'm a vegetarian and not Catholic. So "pectulentence" (so not a word) doesn't apply to me smile

What does vegetarianism have to do with oral sex on Fridays?

1. Tom Cornett profile image82

Alter boys excluded!  smile

And buggered.

2. profile image0

"peole" man!

Yeah, the "whether" satellite

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60

Oh, I thought maybe it was another way of saying Cleveland Steamer.

2. Colebabie profile image61

Is it really??
          Well now James, ya keep makin sexual references by mistake...

2. profile image0
  2. BrianFanslau profile image61
    BrianFanslauposted 14 years ago

Against

"DeenaSchumacher 4 days ago
    I am a clinical social worker in private practice, married to a primary care physcian and a cancer survivor 3X. We purchase our own insurance for a family of 5 at $17,000 with a $5,000 deductible. The cost would be even greater with a lower deductible.
    I make decisions about my healthcare all the time due to the costs. For example, I have opted to NOT have a suggested MRI of the breast because it would be $2000 out of pocket vs continuing to be followed through a yearly mammogram and sonogram. Even the wife of a doctor doesn't get a free ride.
    Doctors are running a small business. With continued lowered reimbursements, higher overhead to cover the salaries and healthcare of more clerical staff for the increased paperwork and the higher malpractice rates, they are now struggling to stay afloat.
    That said, I have several concerns with Obamacare:
    1- The quality of care will decrease if young gifted people recognize that the economic return on their $300,000 student loan investment isn't viable, not to mention increased loans to finance a start-up private practice. The brightest and best will seek other careers.
    1- His reforms will move us in the direction of socialized medicine. Canada and Great Britain have proved to have significantly higher rates of death from cancer. The waits for tests take months compared to days here.
    3- Care will be compromised because bureacrats will be making medical decisions. We will never be treated as individuals ever again. Our doctors will prescribe and make recommendation based upon govt protocol and not their own knowledge, scientific research, continuing education or experience.
    4- The 46 million uninsured is not a valid statistic. 14 million of those are illegal aliens, another 12m are young healthy people who opt out of their health benefit to increase their income for the while.( http://spectator.org/archives/2009/03/2 … f-the-....
    5-With all its faults, America still maintains the best healthcare in the world. We have the highest recovery rates for cardiovascular disease, cancer, and strokes. In attempting to cover everybody, without the required funds, we risk compromising the quality of care for all as we now know it."

by far the best response I have seen from the recent release of His plan.

1. profile image0

I love your response. It is very reasonable. And a strong opinion.

1. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The use of stats to support an obviously biased opinion makes a better argument than screaming or taking cue from Glenn Beck, and spewing out lies and conspiracy theories, but still not that strong...  IMHO.  Sorry.

This says nothing about people who fall through the cracks, in includes inaccuracies (incorrect summation of Canada & Enland's health care), incorrect portrayal of 'decisions' and who makes them (bureaucrats in insurance agencies are making life and death decisions right now).

And fundamentally, it displays lack of concern that adequate, available health care is a basic human right.  Yep, that's correct.  That means a poor guy out on the street gets treated just as the middle class guy, or the wealthy guy.

At the core THAT is what we are discussing, folks.

1. profile image0

i think brian has made a very strong statement. Wether he is right or not, if the preservatives are armed with it, it could convince a few gullible minds.

3. SparklingJewel profile image66
    SparklingJewelposted 14 years ago

Lita S.::"That means a poor guy out on the street gets treated just as the middle class guy, or the wealthy guy"...

except the congress people who want to come up with a plan for everyone else, not themselves...they won't want what they want everyone else to have...

1. profile image0

so, what would they have?

1. SparklingJewel profile image66
        SparklingJewelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

they have what they have now, which is not available to other human beings...as far as I know...or if it is "available" it is too expensive for the majority of Americans

4. profile image0
    araikaposted 14 years ago

AGAINST OBAMA, HE IS FROM AFRICA. HE IS NOT LEGAL PRESIDENT OF UNITED STATES, HE IS NOT AMERICAN.

1. Colebabie profile image61

Umm...

1. Cls1321 profile image60
        Cls1321posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe the appropriate response to that is .... "wtf ?"

lol I actually hope that was a joke and not someone being serious.

2. tksensei profile image60
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Let it go. He is the President of the United States.

1. profile image0

OMG!  It is the most reasonable, decent post TK has EVER made.

3. profile image0

we are talking about health care, you are concerned with Africa. Please go and enlist with "false news"

4. Ron Montgomery profile image60

And he is using microbes to destroy white people.http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/19277?page=7#post304308

5. Bibowen profile image86
    Bibowenposted 14 years ago

"Obama Care" is an oxymoron with an emphasis on "moron."

1. profile image0

and the title is: the preservatives have invaded the discuss

1. Bibowen profile image86
        Bibowenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it's their idea of a good time....trash someone else's party instead of throwing one of your own. This same group of usual suspects also hang out at the religion forum trashing religion. What can I say? They love to hate.

Ummmmmm.. I believe James was eloquently refering to you as a preservative.

2. profile image0

so, why should some people be labelled as liberals?

2. profile image57
        joxallposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Moron, is not what he is...he is actually quite smart...he places issues on tha table that draw attention and keep the media and the american public focused (in the wrong direction),  and then does what he wants in the background...He not a moron, he is just not trustworthy...and more than that; he is great at telling some of the truth to make it sound correct...basiclly just a liar.

1. profile image0

And what do you base your impression/information on, just out of curiosity?

1. profile image57
            joxallposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Taxes on income below 250K, NO 235K, NO...Oh! Cap and Trade...no matter what the income...Green jobs...what jobs, Bail out...what bail out...the list goes on and on.

6. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Taking the "sausage" statement literally obviously. I have no issue with oral sex on Fridays (or any other day). smile

7. AEvans profile image73
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I have a question? You are quite political and enjoy writing in the forums my recommendation is to also create hubs. I have seen 1 hub in 4 days just a suggestion I believe you may have a better chance of others understanding you and your views. smile
    As for my vote I believe that is personal and everyone in the Country honestly does need some type of healthcare, but based on the briefing you gave me I would say I have to research it a little more before making a final decision. smile

8. Bibowen profile image86
    Bibowenposted 14 years ago

Can I change my vote? I vote for Obama Care. Dying to get it; we all are.

1. profile image0

As if am campaigning for it.

9. RooBee profile image81
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

There is no such thing as "Obamacare" first and foremost, so I won't cast a vote for or against an idea that doesn't actually exist. Shall we also vote here on the "death-panels"? lol Non-baited question, please?

1. SparklingJewel profile image66
      SparklingJewelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

news just out says the Senate just threw out all of the sections in the bill that were being interpreted that way...because they could be interpreted that way ... death panels I mean

10. anime_nanet profile image59
    anime_nanetposted 14 years ago

So, I just heard this on the news, but basically what Obama wants is to create a social healthcare system that will compete against the private insurance systems that already exist.

Well I read the other posters and guess what... We have that kind of system here in Portugal.

And bottom line is: if you want the test done in 2 days you have it... if you want that cosmetic surgery done tomorrow you can have it too... you can always do it from the private, like you normally do. If you can afford it that is...

The others... well, the others wait 2 or 3 months (or one year)... But at least they have that oportunity, they aren't left to die on the street!

People this is an ethical  thing... Is the state obliged to look for it's citizens or not? Or should the state let everything, including such an important thing as health be run solely by private corporations? You saw what happened with the banks, didn't you?...

Of course, this will rock a few boats...

Several lobbies (huge ones) will be up and against this. Of course, Insurance companies are at the top at the list. They will get a huge competitor to face! And, of course, the fortunates that can afford the insurances, in they blind media-induced fanaticism will be shouting against this too, because they are going to help the "indigents" with their tax money! Oh, the horror!

But you know what, people... More competition means lower prices. So the people that want to do things the fast way can do it as usual... and probably cheaper too!

And you know what, the poor can also live a little longer, so that's not such a bad thing too! Stop thinking only on your own noses! No one knows tomorrow! It can be YOU lying in the gutter and being kicked of an hospital because you can't afford the bills!

The catastrophism of one of the earlier posters saying the best students won't go to med school... sorry, but that is utter bull****.

So, they will get a little less money? And? They'll still earn big bucks from private practice, as well as all the pharmaceutical companies, as usual. Being a doctor will still continue to be a very lucrative profession.

Besides, the really good doctors aren't in it only for the money. As all things in life, the great ones do it out of vocation, because they love what they do.

So, I think I already wrote too much on this. Obama scores big time to me by proposing this. It shows he has a social conscience. Much more than the average american if we are to judge from all the protests. I hope the lobbies won't push him back.

1. Will Apse profile image86
      Will Apseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Its not a question of the state looking after people, its whether people decide that they want health care that is free at the point of delivery and then make sure the government implements their wishes.

One thing for sure, if the US ever gets a national health system people there will never let go of it.

There isn't a single political party in any country with a national health system that advocates returning to a private only system. Why? Because no party advocating an end to the countries national health system would ever get elected.

2. Valerie F profile image61
      Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually, hospitals in the US are required to treat all patients regardless of their ability to pay. They typically sacrifice millions to provide adequate care to the indigent. I've been uninsured, underinsured (especially for the premiums I've paid), and I've never been denied treatment or kicked out of a hospital because of inability to pay.

I think the biggest problem with health care costs is much the same as it is with education. The people making the most money in health care are the administrators who have the least to do with actually treating patients.

11. profile image0
    peacefulparadoxposted 14 years ago

I'm for Obama's health reform.  Watch the videos...
    http://hubpages.com/hub/sort-out-the-my … are-reform

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)