I need some advice on published work

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)
  1. vicki simms profile image67
    vicki simmsposted 13 years ago

I have written some articles for a different website and they were all approved to be sent to clients, the day before payday I was sent an email and was told that they have closed my account as my writing is not for them? Now my problem is that I want to put these articles onto hubpages as I spend alot of time and effort on them but dont want to "get into trouble" if they have published my articles?? I hope this makes sense and any advice would be great...thank you

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

It isn't exactly clear why your account was closed. If they did not want your writings and did not pay you, presumably you still own the content. If your articles had been accepted but you never got paid, that would be a more complicated situation.

You can do an Internet search to see if the articles are published elsewhere. If they exist elsewhere on the Internet and you publish them here, your hubs will most likely be flagged as duplicate content.

1. WryLilt profile image89
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with W.E. on this one.

Maybe if you could elaborate some more; if you didn't get paid but they kept your work, that's a serious problem.

vicki simmsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i'm suppose to getting paid today, but nothing yet! I will wait until tomorrow and see if anything goes into my account so I know for certain but it just seems a little odd to me that I receive the email a day before due to be paid saying they no longer need me to write for them and "the layout and structure" of my writing does not suit their requirements? all articles I sent them were approved but then yesterday the email said they were not approved so I am a bit confused, as i'm sure you are reading this lol, I think im going to have to rewrite the lot then i'm safe!

Sounds a bit dodgy. What site is it?

2. profile image0
          Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You could certainly contact them and ask them to confirm that they will not use the articles, that they acknowledge your ownership, and that you are free to publish them anywhere. Either they must grant a release or pay what they owe you.

3. travelespresso profile image69
          travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree that it sounds strange, that they agreed to pay you and agreed with the approach you were taking with the articles and then just before you are due to be paid, they advise you that the work won't be published.

However...

If you have been (or will be) paid for the work in exchange for you work then you have probably given them ownership of your work.  But your contract may state that you have residual rights and can therefore earn from additional sales.  It very much depends upon the terms of the contract. 

It is not at all uncommon for publishers to commission articles, pay for them and then choose not to publish them.  It's something we writers have to bear.

My advice is to firstly check your contract regarding ownership and secondly to wait and see what happens to your payment.  It seems to me that you are being a little impatient.  If you aren't paid, say within two working days of when its due, telephone them to get some answers.

WE has given you some really good advice her.

Thank you, I will look into the ins and outs of it all and see where I stand. Not impatient though lol just wanted to know wether to publish my work on here and just move on so to speak.

Everyones advice has beed great so thank you smile

**Been** even

If you click on MORE at the bottom of your post, you can edit it. smile

ahhh thanks smile

3. profile image0
    Aleister888posted 13 years ago

So essentially your worried about a duplicate content penalty from the search engines, and infringing on publishing requirements on hub pages?

Well, a very quick fix to the solution would be to simply re organize the articles, in other words, re structure/word it so that it says the same information but in a unique specific way...

Its surprisingly easy to do simply load up your article and "re write" it in a different way with a different paragraph structure...

This is of course acceptable because you are the original author and the "new" information you are providing is also unique.

Hope i have been of some assistance, and if not, oh well ^_^

4. vicki simms profile image67
    vicki simmsposted 13 years ago

Thank you to both of you, yes your right, I didnt want anything flagging up as duplicate, I think its best then to crack on with rewriting just to be on the safe side.

5. ddsurfsca profile image69
    ddsurfscaposted 13 years ago

It would seem to me that if you did not get paid, they cannot use your work without your permission, or payment.  If you find that they have published them somewhere, I would contact them right away, otherwise your work is yours.

1. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I disagree. This is the way that writers tend to look at it, but only a careful reading of the contract can provide the answer to who owns the content. The site may own the content, and the author may or may not have a monetary claim against the site; these can be two separate issues. An author generally does not have a "lien" on intellectual property that has been delivered but not yet paid for.

6. ddsurfsca profile image69
    ddsurfscaposted 13 years ago

you are right, they might pay yet, but I didn't catch anything about a contract, is there one.

7. libby101a profile image60
    libby101aposted 13 years ago

If they don't pay you then the contract is void. It is your work until they follow through on the contract. Do you have a copy of the contract? You need to always read over every contract very thoroughly. Ensure that you are protected!!!! If they don't pay, then demand your articles back!! Good Luck.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)