ObamaCare - Enough Doctors?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (62 posts)
  1. BillyDRitchie profile image60
    BillyDRitchieposted 13 years ago

With all the debate over the pros and cons of ObamaCare, one thing that has been overlooked is the 40% of physicians who said they would close their practice or retire if ObamaCare becomes law.

http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysi … aCare.aspx

Now assuming that figure is inflated, even if only 25% percent actually do so, the end result is going to be fewer doctors and more patients.  Add to that expected decrease in new medical school students (who wants to go to school that long to become a government drone?).

Any predictions on how the Obama administration will make it attractive for doctors to remain in practice as ObamaCare slowly takes effect over the next few years?

And I have some personal insight on this...my wife is a nurse and we have talked with several doctors who are in fact planning to close up shop if ObamaCare is not repealed....

1. Doug Hughes profile image61
      Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"It's worth noting that the pollling outfit has a horrendous track record; polling demigod Nate Silver comments:

' As we learned during the [Presidential] campaign -- when, among other things, they had John McCain winning the youth vote 74-22 -- the IBD/TIPP polling operation has literally no idea what they're doing. I mean, literally none. For example, I don't trust IBD/TIPP to have competently selected anything resembling a random panel, which is harder to do than you'd think.'

Nate also notes that the poll hasn't released any details of methodology, and bizarrely also says "responses are still coming in." Responses are still coming in? Why would they release any results until all responses have come in? The percentages are utterly meaningless otherwise! Nate advises people to ignore the poll entirely; it's going to be taken up by right-wing idealogues of course, but that was its intended audience from the beginning."

Read more: http://blog.beliefnet.com/cityofbrass/2 … -of-brass+(City+of+Brass)#ixzz19QNgcbt7

BillyDRitchieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't think IBD is exactly a right wing organization....and whether their poll is accurate or not, you're evading the question.

I even alluded to that possibility, with the question that even if only 25%  instead of 40% closed their doors, what would happen.

There's no doubt that some doctors will close their doors and fewer students will enroll in med school....so how is ObamaCare going to handle the smaller population of MDs?

There's serious doubt that doctors will actually close their doors or fewer students will enroll in medical school.

The poll you cite seems to be a count of how many doctors are republicans opposed to Obama.

Serious doubt?  On whose part?  Fans of Obamacare?  As I mentioned, my wife has already spoken to several doctors in our area alone who are planning to close up if ObamaCare does in fact go into effect.

1. Flightkeeper profile image66
              Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've talked to some people in the medical field as well.  Doctors are retiring earlier even now, they don't get as much compensation as they used to and their administrative expenses have gone up as well as malpractice insurance.  It doesn't make sense for students to become doctors if they have to acquire so much debt and earn a lot less.  The Dummycrats never do know how the economics of things work.

Family Doctor - $150,000
                Oncologist -      $270,000
                Internal Med -   $160,000
                Endocrinologist - $170,000
                Neurologist - $200,000
                Pediatrics      $165,000
                Gynecologist  $175,000

These are approximate incomes 2010 for these specialties from  -

http://www.articlesbase.com/business-op … z19RkrvMYZ

No wingnut has explained why Obamacare is going to reduce the income or increase the expenses for these doctors. If you think that 25% of the physicians are going to set up shop in Mexico, do explain the economics. They won't be able to collect payments through insurance there, and everyone here will have insurance. Are they going to accept payment in chickens?

1. profile image57
                  C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, if your self employed and financially self sufficient you might just pay the penalty and pay for your own medical care.

2. Flightkeeper profile image66

Libtards really can't figure out that expenses for a doctor in private practice will go up and not incrementally but exponentially depending on the expense once government bureaucracy sets in?  Really?  In addition, what is not to say that the government will not cap the payments they allow for certain treatments like they do now when it comes to prescriptions.

1. profile image0
                    PrettyPantherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Humor this libtard and explain exactly how and why expenses for a doctor in private practice will exponentially increase as a result of the new health care bill.  In detail.  With actual facts, real figures, and sources for your information.

You know, so a simple-minded libtard like me can understand.

2. Doug Hughes profile image61

"In addition, what is not to say that the government will not cap the payments they allow for certain treatments.."

Flightkeeper's comment was an admission that Obamacare does NOT cap payments in any way shape or form. It doesn't affect the revenue side for doctors at all, unless you consider  the benefit of a 15% increase in the supply of patients with insurance.

Pretty Panther went round and round about the claim of an 'exponential' growth in expenses. There's no new paperwork for doctors to support that claim, though there is a commitment, I think to cost reduction through streamlining and automating record sharing. The long-term projections there call for a REDUCTION of costs. That's my opinion, of course, and Flightkeeper is entitled to her own.

However she NEVER was able to present any evidence that Obamacare will increase expenses for doctors and she virtually conceded that it doesn't affect the revenue side.

These doctors sound like a bunch of disgruntled republicans who won't give up their cushy practices because of Obamacare.    There should be some record of empty seats at all the medical colleges and universities.. Anyone care to provide us with the enrollment statistics?

So will I see these former doctors as Wal-Mart greeters?

Rush Limbaugh promised to move to Costa Rica when Obamacare passed.  (Which is funny since they DO have socialized medicine.) But he's still in the USA talking trash.. which is what your wife's friends are doing.

"(who wants to go to school that long to become a government drone?)."

Can anyone explain to me where Obomacare makes the doctor a 'government drone'?

The doctor is forced to be a government employee. The fee schedule for a private practice is not limited by Obamcare. Doctors are not required to pay higher taxes. What's the gripe?

Specific examples please.. Where does Obamacare significantly decrease revenue for the physician or increase expenses for the physician.

Excuse me - first sentence - The Doctor is forced to be a government employee.. Add '???" so it reads -

The Doctor is forced to be a government employee?????

Because unlike the medical system in Great Britain, he's not.

2. profile image57

I think your going to see off shore medical clinics if you will. Those who can afford care not normally covered will get it. Supply and Demand..

1. I am DB Cooper profile image62
        I am DB Cooperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Kind of like what's already been happening for the past decade? Medical tourism is a huge industry. I know someone who flies to Asia to have serious dental work done. If the costs are too high and you're not covered by insurance, you'll find the cheaper option. There are clinics opening up all over the world that cater to American clients looking for the cheaper alternative. What's really surprising is the quality of care in these outfits is actually comparable to what you'll find in the United States.

1. profile image57

Just what we need. Another reason to outsource and or ship jobs overseas.

2. fireplaceguy profile image58
        fireplaceguyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good point!

3. tinaweha profile image60
      tinawehaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have talked to doctors about socialized medicine for years.  Many of them will open clinics in Mexico if it gets too bad in the states.

I'm surprised that they don't do it now.

4. pylos26 profile image69
      pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Fantastic news!...caint wait for the great exodus of right wing religious fanatics when Obamacare becomes real… imagine all the empty spaces suddenly in walmart’s parking lot. Ha ha...just kidding.

2. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

LOL @ government drones.

I typed a real sarcastic remark about that, but I've decided to be nice instead and just point out that this sort of hyperbole (and I'm going with that over raging ignorance or outright deceit) is destroying the country.

The lies just keep piling up on both sides. Nobody is interested in the truth, nobody is interested in finding a better solution, everyone is just lying and whipping up mobs of ignorant, illinformed Chicken Littles to run around carrying the message of fear.  When you write stuff like this, you are doing the dirty work of rich guys who pretend to believe as you do (while quietly feeding you your opinions).

I'm not even saying "Obama Care" is the answer. But endless, mindless, empty rhetoric is gutting this country, and it's painful to watch such a total loss of integrity and any interest in truth. (Or else to watch to the total loss of reason and the ability to discern truth.) Either way, it sucks.

Call it what you will, but when I have genuine MDs sitting across a table from me discussing their concerns over ObamaCare and plans to shut down rather than go through it, I'll take their word over the ObamaCare fanboys on the left who continue to cry "It's okay! All is well!" like Kevin Bacon at the end of ANIMAL HOUSE......

1. Jim Hunter profile image61
        Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't get too worked up about all of this.

Doug and his political heroes are a minority among U.S. citizens.

They showed their true philosophy and were rejected.

All IS well.

2. Shadesbreath profile image78
        Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, as you should be. But there is a huge, huge, huge difference between concerns and all doctors becoming government drones.  The coversation will move along towards much better ends if we discuss legitimate concerns rather than rushing headlong into politically motivated Orwellian prognostications.

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

40% of doctors are not going to shut up shop just because they didn;t get what they wanted.

1. tinaweha profile image60
      tinawehaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Doctors will indeed retire. I come from a family with 4 doctors.  There will be two tiers of care.  If you don't have doctors in your family, you will definitely be on the lower tier of care...think VA hospital.

I'm sorry that people are so easily fooled.  You never get something for nothing.

4. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

doctors should keep to their hearts and be reminded of the Hippocratic oath. I don't know if this suffice for that from Hippocratic oath - "Whatever houses I may visit, I will come for the benefit of the sick, remaining free of all intentional injustice"-- whether leaving your patient is intentional injustice LOL...

I want to look at data about doctors (type of doctor) per population per sq miles

5. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

And as for analysis, the garbage that the dummycrats put in the budget office gave them garbage out. roll

6. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Coming in cold to this conversation.

Uh... flightkeeper ... even if the private practice doctors' expenses will go up from seeing more patients, their REVENUE will also go up from seeing more patients!
    It's not like they will be seeing more patients for free.
    They will actually see fewer patients for free, since the uninsured patients who they currently must treat (Hippocratic oath 'n all) will now be paying customers.

I'm sorry, but I really do NOT understand the resistance to this common sense and compassionate legislation.
    My only regret is that it's not gonna be called Clinton Care lol

Their revenue goes up but it's hard to say that it will keep up with expenses.  You're thinking that if double the patients show up that the revenues doubles.  That's not true in that business.  And a doctor only has a finite number of hours.

7. Mighty Mom profile image78

If not having enough doctors to provide care for all the people who will be "entitled" to care under Obama's plan is such a big problem, doesn't that tell us that there is a HUGE problem now with people who NEED CARE but aren't getting it?

Maybe MORE students will want to become doctors because they know they will be able to both EARN and COLLECT a decent wage, rather than being screwed (like the rest of us) by greedy insurance companies.
    Maybe they will be happy to have the power to determine what is appropriate care for THEIR patients returned to them instead of decided by hard-hearted insurance company actuaries.

But hey, if you want to get your panties in a wad about the poor medical profession, why not extend that sympathy to the poor insurance industry. OMG, their profits might fall to the double digits. Quel catastrophe!

Of course there's a problem.  I don't think ObamaCare will solve it.

Yeah it would be a catastrophe.  What about all those people working for the insurance company?  Or don't you think they deserve jobs because they work for the terrible insurance company?

The only people getting their panties in a wad as you so crudely put it are people like you who don't want to listen to any other way to fix it.  Because your god Obama has to be obeyed.

8. Mighty Mom profile image78

Do I think all those people who work for insurance companies "deserve" jobs? I think every person who wants a job deserves a job. I also think every person deserves access to reasonably priced, top quality health care!

"Reasonably priced top quality health care".  Right.  Champagne with beer money, wouldn't that be ideal.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)