Quitting Smoking

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (14 posts)
  1. dmop profile image81
    dmopposted 12 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6470006_f248.jpg
    A forum to support any of our fellow Hubbers who smoke, but want to quit. I'm hoping to get some success stories and the methods used to be successful.

1. amanthkr01 profile image69
      amanthkr01posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Very good initiative taken by you Dmop. I was a chain smoker prior to this year but now have quit this habit from the first of January this year.
      To quit smoking, very strong will power along with the support of your near ones is required.
      Its the first three days which are very crucial in quitting smoking. After that you will find that craving for smoking will decrease gradually.

In fact, I have written a hub on quitting smoking also based on my personal experience. I hope it will help other smokers to quit this habit.
      <a href="http://amanthkr01.hubpages.com/_250qcxz8vjs43/hub/How-to-quit-snoking-5-Simple-steps-to-quit-smoking">How to quit smoking? 5 Simple steps to quit smoking</a>

2. Cre8tor profile image93
      Cre8torposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey D, long time no chat. :-) Glad you started this, great idea.

I've been a smoker for over 20 yrs. My wife quit a year ago, fell off the wagon for a month or 2 and now has quit again and doing well.

I know I should and need to quit but just can't get past that "losing my best friend" feeling. If I set a date, I end up smoking more leading up to it and then lying because I don't quit. I now take my lumps from my family and can only tell them, "I can tell you I'll quit but I don't want to lie to you."

AHHHH!

1. dmop profile image81
        dmopposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I figured with all the supportive people you find here it would be a good place to start a support group. I too have been smoking for over 20 years, and it's about time I give it up. I know I can quit, I just need a little nudge to keep me focused on my reasons for quitting. Instead of a quit date I have decided that I have bought my last carton I have 8 packs left, and I'm trying to make them last as long as possible. This way, hopefully I will slow down considerably before I run out and get to finally quit.

1. dmop profile image81
          dmopposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I now have five packs left, I have slowed down a little bit. I am ready to quit and after these five packs are gone I am going to. I just don't want to smoke any more.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
            Mark Knowlesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Smoke them all today and get it over and done with. The sooner you get started, the sooner you will be a non smoker. big_smile

Good luck.

3. cloverleaffarm profile image69
      cloverleaffarmposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I just wrote a hub about using Aromatherapy to quit smoking. Hoping it can benefit someone out there! http://cloverleaffarm.hubpages.com/hub/ … it-Smoking

4. Shadesbreath profile image77
      Shadesbreathposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I calculated how much I spent on tobacco per month (I actually chewed not smoked) and then figured out how much of an awesome gaming computer I could buy (I'm a HUGE PC online gamer).

I went and bought the most hardcore system available, ON CREDIT. The monthly payment terms were exactly what I spent on tobacco per month.

I asked my wife to help me succeed, and she agreed once she was assured that I really meant it. So, I gave her a nice 5 pound sledge hammer. I asked her to swear on our love that, if I started using tobacco again, she would go into my den and completely destroy my brand new machine with the hammer.

She was pretty reluctant at first because she knew that doing so would really be a big fight in the end, with me making lots of arguments about how, as much as meant it when we started, human weakness is what is is, and blowing out a computer if I failed was dumb.

But, being a student of humanity that I am, I already saw all that coming, so I made her swear.

I am fortunate to have a smart and brave wife. So, she agreed. "Okay. I'll freaking waste that thing," she said. The look in her eyes told me she finally meant it.

It worked. 15  years later, I'm still good. That system is long gone, but it doesn't matter now. smile

Good luck.

5. seanorjohn profile image70
      seanorjohnposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have managed to quit for 4 months now. I am using ecigs and although still addicted to nicotine am saving a fortune and not taking in all the harmful chemicals and tar. My cough has disappeared and am feeling so much healthier. There are many electronic cigs to choose from and I was lucky enough to find one that suits me. I had tried one or two before which would not have worked for me. I am so delighted. Never thought I could quit. Whenever I tried before I would only manage for a day. I got stomach cramps and generally ratty. Never buying real cigs again. Best of luck to all giving up. You can do this.

2. Lindy's World profile image59
    Lindy's Worldposted 12 years ago

I am in the process of trying to quit.  What I have found that is working really well for me is the Blu Cigs electronic cigarette.  It has the nicotine, smoke and taste of a real cig without the nasty stuff of real cigs.  You can slowly step down the nicotine, like patches.  I find that since I have started using these I smoke less.  Good luck.

1. paintphd profile image60
      paintphdposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I just got a new best buddy to stay alive for...my first Grandson. I know those beautiful kids of yours will inspire the same will-power in you friend. I have faith in ya man..

3. rahul0324 profile image77
    rahul0324posted 12 years ago

I am on the verge of quitting smoking! I used to be a chain smoker since I was 17... somking 3 to 4 packs a day... now I have lessened it to 3 to 4 sticks a day....and in the future I am determined to make it nil....

4. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

I stopped smoking on June 3, 2010. That day, I smoked the last cigarette in the house and have not smoked since. I had been smoking on and off for about 30 years and had got up to 40 a day due to stress. The day I stopped was the day my partner finally succeeded in drinking himself to death after dragging me through hell for 2.5 years.

I found that the combined factors of the expense, smell and mess that are associated with smoking were enough to stop me from smoking again. No longer having another smoker in the house also made a big difference. The only times I felt a desire were when I had odd gaps of time to fill, for example, waiting for something to come to the boil. Previously, I would have smoked while waiting. However, not having any cigarettes in the house meant I couldn't.

I think a further major factor which helped me is that people can no longer smoke in pubs and restaurants. I was always tempted to smoke after a meal or over a drink, especially when other people were smoking around me.

I think going cold turkey is the best way, but this can only work when the conditions are absolutely right.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)