jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

A people originated in Asia. They instituted a thriving ethical and

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

spiritual tradition which is still respected, revered, and  practiced to this day.  In addition to their ethical and spiritual tradition, they were known to have an enormous respect for the principles of knowledge and learning.  They conquered by the word instead of by the sword. 

Every country and region they arrived in, they impacted the culture in one way or another whether it was England, France, Germany, or North Africa.  However, they are often stigmatized or ostracized because of their differences from the local populations.  They were oftentimes blamed for the societal ills or maiaises of the particular period, in the Middle Ages, they were blamed for the bubonic plague a/k/a Black Death. 

They were subsequently expelled from Western Europe and were initially welcomed in Eastern Europe.  However, in Eastern Europe, they were subjected to pogroms and other types of societal coercionis yet they thrived.  With the greater liberties in Western Europe, they had more civil and socioeconomic rights.   As a result of the strictures and harsh discrimination in some parts of Europe, particularly Poland and Russia, they immigrated en masse to the Americas, especially the United States, where they created a thriving culture. 

In the early 20th century, they were all but deciminated in Europe.  The civilizations and cultures that they once created in Europe are all but shadows.  Yet despite this DECIMINATION, they continue to thrive as a people.  Who are they?

1. wilderness profile image97
      wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

They were gypsies, although I think you exaggerate considerably about them being so respected and revered as well as the numbers that ended up in the US.

2. grand old lady profile image87
    grand old ladyposted 2 years ago

My guess is the Jews. But for a while I also thought of the gypsies.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The first answer is CORRECT!    You have won a grand prize!