How to Properly Perform Triceps Push Downs
Triceps push downs are generally a gym favorite. You can see by the many people that perform this type of exercise every time your in the gym working out near the machines. It is great for targeting the triceps and by changing to a different grip or stance you can emphasize either the long head, lateral head, or medial head.
With a bar
1. First begin by facing the machine and with your hands on the bar or rope and bring your elbows in so they are against your sides
2. This exercise is best performed with a over hand grasp on the bar.(Palms facing down)
3. Check your form. Is your shoulders back and down, with your chest up? Basically just watch your posture.
4. Inhale and straighten your arms as you resist the weight as you push down. While this is being done your elbows still remain at your side.
5. As you complete the movement exhale and return your arms back to start position
6. Of course, repeat and perform as many sets as needed based on your goals and objectives
Using a rope
The above describes a cable push down with a over hand grasp on a bar. To perform the exercise with a rope attachment the above is the same except of course your hand placement is slightly different. With a rope you grab the rope with your palms facing each other. Then as you separate the rope and your hands move farther away from each other your palms will naturally face down.· The great thing about this rope method is the feeling it gives to your lateral head of the triceps
- Try to keep a nice posture throughout these movements and inhale as you straighten your arms
- You can use a underhand grip for this movement. Doing this works the medial head
- This exercise is good for beginners. However more advance people can use more weight to perform the exercise. When using more weight be sure to lean forward slightly at the waist for more stability.
- These exercises also work the smaller Anconeus. It’s near the lower part of the elbow. So if you feel some soreness there, that is probably why.
Always work at your limits and stay motivated.
Tricep Cable Pushdown
Links & Other Articles
- Top 7 ways to work your Triceps
7 Ways to work your Triceps to get the arms you want
- Core Workout - Bicycle Ab Crunch with a Pause
Work your abs with the proven bicycle crunch with a pause
- BOSU Core Training with Standing Medicine Ball Rotations
Work stability and Core with this article on Bosu core training with medicine ball rotations
- An Example Of One Of My Boot Camp Workouts
An outline of a simple boot camp workout
- Kickboxing Trainer Guy
A blog on kick boxing, training and staying active, as well as lots of advice on overall wellness.
Books To Tone Your Arms
More by this Author
What is circuit training and a look at how to properly design a circuit training workout. As well as a simple sample routine to get started with.
My review and opinion on using the MOTOACTV Fitness and mp3 player sports watch. This watch comes with GPS, Mp3 player, and heart rate monitor with a chest strap.
A sample of a great bag workout that you can use to practice your skills, reduce stress, or simply to better your fitness level