jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Anyone here come off of Depovera?

1. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 7 years ago

For many years I was on the 3 month injection, depovera (a type of birth control). Last year I stopped the injection. I have not yet had a period, no spotting either. I am now also experiencing a symptom that is often related to pregnancy, painfull nipples hmm. This symptom is also related to coming off the depo. I wonder if anyone here has had experiences with this type of birth control?

1. Jane@CM profile image61
      Jane@CMposted 7 years ago in reply to this

If it were me, I'd make an appt. with my OB and get checked out.

2. 60
      franki79posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I was on it for three months and I didn't make it to my next injection on schedule and after that I just gave up and it took me another six to get my period and I didn't have spotting, come to think of it my nipples were a little sore after that for quite awhile.
      Wish I could be more help

And Brenda Durham, reading your comment, thought I would mention that I learned that women can become premenopausal around 35, I love the show The Drs.

2. 0
    Brenda Durhamposted 7 years ago

I used it for about 3 years.
    I started having bad pains in my legs, so I stopped using it.
    Took me a while to resume periods,  and I never got pregnant again even after I stopped it.   I'm not sure if I became infertile because of the depo provera,  or if I was just pre-menopausal already (I was in my late 30's when I went off it.)

I personally do not recommend it,  because of the dangers of side effects, even though it was very convenient and I didn't have to fool with my monthly cycle because it stopped that cycle.

3. 0
    TMinutposted 7 years ago

My sister's been on it for years because of hormone related seizures. Having a period always put her in the hospital, she had to go off it when she couldn't afford it and her insurance didn't cover "birth control" - that's not why she was on it. Guess this won't help you, when she had to stop (and I think she's back on it now), her problems would have been way different than normal.

Menopause was brought up so anyone been there done that? Is it something to dread or look forward to? I'm old enough so why the heck it won't just put an end to this nonsense I don't know. But I don't know if I should be wishing for it or not.

I'll ask my sister about the Depovera shot.