jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Can anyone tell me why my eye twitches when I over exert myself physically?

1. PHILLYDREAMER profile image83
    PHILLYDREAMERposted 5 years ago

Can anyone tell me why my eye twitches when I over exert myself physically?

I'm wondering if it's a symptom of heart trouble or high blood pressure.  I'll admit I do stare at the computer screen for long periods of time, but I've been cutting my time down without any improvement.  If anything the twitching has gotten worse.  I've noticed that when I over exert myself physically its starts twitching like crazy, and I'm worried it's a symptom of high blood pressure or heart trouble.

2. annart profile image85
    annartposted 5 years ago

I'm no expert but I don't think it's necessarily a problem.  I've had that symptom since I was little and have always laughed at it; I also know lots of others to whom it happens.  I've always put it down to the nervous system being overactive when exerting oneself, just a natural off-shoot, and I've never heard of any problems connected to it.  Best thing if you're worried is to go to the doc's and ask.  Good luck with everything!

3. Author Cheryl profile image88
    Author Cherylposted 5 years ago

The eight reason for eye twitching is:Stress, Tiredness, Eye strain, Caffeine,  Alcohol,  Dry eyes, Nutritional imbalances, Allergies
    So Maybe you need to take a look at your nutritional intake if you are exercising.

4. Daughter Of Maat profile image97
    Daughter Of Maatposted 5 years ago

Eye twitching is a result of stress. Many things can cause stress, including nutritional deficiency, or undue environmental stresses. The other thing that can cause eye twitching is a neurological disorder such as muscular dystrophy which can be exacerbated by exercise. Most of the time the twitching is benign, meaning there is no real danger and its a sign that you need to relax, and slow down. If you're under a lot of stress at the moment this could be the problem. As for heart disease and high blood pressure, stress causes both of those as well. When we're stressed our body produces adrenaline, and conusmes tons of vitamin C to compensate. When the body doesn't have enough vitamin C to control the adrenaline levels, permanent effects such as high blood pressure occur. Twitching can coincide with high blood pressure, but it is not necessarily a symptom.

If the twitching is getting continually worse, I would recommend you see an ophthalmologist. Refractive error (the need for glasses) can stress the eyes and cause a twitching sensation, and it will get worse if the problem is ignored. Your ophthalmologist can rule out refractive error and any other problems with the eye that may cause twitching (dryness can cause it but the dryness has to be severe and long term). If nothing can be found, you'll be sent for an MRI, and labwork. If you suspect something is wrong, go to the doctor. Seriously, you may be sensing a bigger problem intuitively, don't ignore it.

5. Angela Blair profile image79
    Angela Blairposted 5 years ago

Eye twitching happens to me when/if I get really nervous about something. It happened once when I was meeting a new doctor in our community and he told me years later he thought I was flirting with him by winking. Of course, he was young enough to be my son and that made his eventual declaration all the more embarassing!

6. kj force profile image73
    kj forceposted 5 years ago

Twitching of  any part of the body has to do with the nervous system...and circulation, which of course involves the blood. When physical excertion is applied, the blood flows more freely and faster, thus putting pressure on certain nerves..pulse points especially..groin/temple/base of neck/ankle etc...
    It wouldn't hurt to visit your physician and have her/him check you out..have you had a yearly exam yet ? This would reassure you....why take a chance ?

working