cigarettes

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (42 posts)
  1. profile image53
    wtf-pizposted 14 years ago

so all the chemicals they are ALOUD to put in smokes was not enough.  cigs are bad for you so i guess adding GLUE to a cigarette is ok.  WTF  I hate to tell all you people that smoking would be 1/10 harmful w/out the chemicals, let alone- glue.  the middle class getting jacked again.  if the gov. cared about our health they would regulate the crap they put into smokes...not tax it 500% then tell us where we cant smoke so business owners(bars andrestaurants) suffer.  A MESSAGE TO THE CIGARETTE COMPANIES; TRUST ME YOU DONT NEED ALL THAT CRAP MIDDLE CLASS NEEDS TO SMOKE WERE DOING ALL THE WORK WHY DONT YOU TRY KEEPING YOUR CUSTOMERS AROUND LONGER...AND I BET LESS PEOPLE WOULD QUIT IF IT WAS MORE NATURAL..

1. wapaxis profile image60
      wapaxisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i was oncde a change smoker and when i dicovered that my father has empizima, i quit smoking.

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
        Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I say we all have to die of something, I'm gonna die from enjoyment!!!   big_smile

1. yoshi97 profile image57
          yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but the thing you need to understand is that secondhand smoke kills others. And while you have the right to live as you please, others have the right to live without receiving lung cancer from secondhand smoke.

If you found out today you had H1N1 virus, would you cough on every stranger you met? Most certainly not, as that would be ludicrous. However, blowing secondhand smoke around others who chose not to smoke is much the same thing.

You don't want to quit smoking? Neither do I. However, I switched to e-cigs, containing to poison to my own self and breathing something non toxic around others.

I recommend quitting entirely for everyone, but if you can't quit, at least recognize the other lives you could be taking with you.

So does driving cars, boats, airplanes...etc

ban it all or allow it all...

That's intangible logic ...

There are people out there that have repressed immune systems who would be dead right now without clean rooms preventing them from receiving the microbes that kill them. As normal air can be poisonous to them, do we ban it for all or just change the air quality for them?

By removing secondhand smoke you clean the air for all of those who smoke. And no one is saying you should quit. You can still smoke at home, in your car, and many other places. What they are doing is reducing the risk for others.

And as for wanting to smoke, I already stated you can have your cake and eat it to. I've been smoking e-cigs for almost a year now and I haven't wanted anything to do with normal cigarettes. Even in a crowded bar full of smoke I don;t even consider it. And it's not willpower holding me back - it's replacement therapy.

No one is trying to ruin your life. All they're asking is for you to quit smoking or find an alternative that is safer for all.

Trust me ... if you were that little spaceman in your avatar, you wouldn't want someone pumping toxins into your spacesuit with no means to escape. Instead, you would work with that person to find an agreeable means that would satisfy their need to breath toxins and your need to breathe fresh air.

I know, reading this post it sounds like I'm bagging on you, like some former smoker trying to preach the evils of secondhand smoke. But I'm not. I'm only trying to express how harmful it is to others and offering that there is a way everyone could live happily ever after - even yourself - smoking as much as you want, when you want, and not harming others. smile

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

So it is better if fewer people quit? Better for whom?

3. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

As soon as I get that written guarantee that I won't die(ever) if I quit smoking, then I'll think about quitting. Until then I'm enjoying whatever time I have.

It is my understanding that people die of all kinds of things, not just smoking...Like...

driving cars, planes, trains, motorcycles, hang gliding, mountain climbing, parachuting, showering(slips in the tub), crossing the street, eating almost anything, not exercising, exercising....

...Boxing, Racing cars, Horseback riding, swimming, Boating, Hunting, camping...

when they ban all of those they can ban my smoking.

tongue

4. Rochelle Frank profile image90

No one said anything about banning them.

I can't ask the opinion of the smokers in my family. None of them died from boxing, horseback riding or being hit by a truck or any of those other dangerous things you mention.  So enjoy yourself.

5. Mikel G Roberts profile image75

They are banning them all over the place (Bars and Restaurants)

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know. It is so much more pleasant to be able to breathe in a restaurant now. I don't have to wear a space suit.

lol

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image75

Honestly it took me a while to get use to not smoking after a meal in a restaurant, but not smoking in a bar when drinking...

That's like not allowing two people to touch while having sex...it just aint right.

1. brimancandy profile image79
          brimancandyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

One of the reasons I don't like going to bars is becasue of the smoke. I didn't mind it when I was younger, but as I grew older, I could really tell that it was hitting me hard.

Now, I only go to bars where there is a chance that I can step outside and get some air, such as a patio, where I can stand with the rest of the people who don't like the smoke. I never go to bars in the winter months, because I don't want to be cooped up in a bar full of smoke.

I think people who are uptight about not being able to smoke in public places are being very selfish. Take cell phones for example, would you be ok, if you went into a movie theater if 1 of ouf 10 people in a packed theater were yakking away of their phones during your movie time?
          They obviously can't smoke in them, but they used to be able to do that years ago. So, what's the big deal?

6. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

If you don't drink and you don't smoke, you are healthy when you croak tongue

7. Rochelle Frank profile image90

So will we have to allow kids to ride in weather balloons and people to carry RPG's-- those are dangerous. Or could they be used in one's own home?

8. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

What is RPG? As for kids riding weather balloons - this is entirely their parents responsibility IMO and none of a state business. smile

Rocket Propelled Grenades-- the weather balloon was silly-- I was just trying to expand on his idea of either banning OR allowing everything that might be considered to be dangerous.

9. Mikel G Roberts profile image75

But it comes down to choice.

I have a right to choose to do things that may not be good for me, like race cars, or jump out of airplanes, or smoke cigarettes...

If my life can be risked by you everytime you get behind the wheel of a car, then your life can be risked by me everytime you walk into a bar where you know I will be smoking.

But that's not fair-- you have angels.

LMAO, Rochelle...I wanna kiss you...

2. yoshi97 profile image57

It's a choice for all ... A choice for those to smoke to breathe it in and a choice for those who don't not to have to. Consider my advice, as it has worked for me and others.

And as you may have noticed I didn't post links to e-cig sites, links to hubs, or any other promotional material. If you're serious about continuing to smoke and want to meet others halfway by doing it in a matter safer to all (including yourself - you don't have to die before your time) then consider Googling e-cigs and see if there might be something to it.

In particular, I recommend the many e-cig forums as they tell it like it is, with nothing to gain or lose. They all quit regular cigarettes, and yet, none of them feel like they were forced to quit smoking or that they will die if they never have a real cigarette again.

Give it a thought, mate. I'm pushing for your health as much as others as you seem like a decent guy who has just fallen into a bad habit - much like I did years ago. You deserve to live a few more years - I promise you that! smile

LOL I started smoking at 9 years old...

Thanks for your concern, it isn't going to be cigarettes that kill me, probably some guy with a gun...

I smoked for 26 years straight ... It's not impossible to translate over ... just give it a bit of research and if it all appears rubbish then at least you had a look at it, eh? smile

10. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

Yoshi, do you consider yourself to be a former smoker?

I'm still raving about my new cigs, and the reason is, it is a middle way.
    I think it actually is the best of both worlds! I'm not freaking out like I have every single time I've quit.
    Because, I'm not quitting. I'm just not smoking cigarettes anymore.
    And I'm saving an incredible amount of money.
    And I feel pretty damn good.

big_smile big_smile

11. Rochelle Frank profile image90

I did like your angel hub.

Thank You I'm glad you did.

12. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 14 years ago

My father died of cancer at 74 and he smoked all of his life.
    I have a friend (well kind of) who chain smokes while he is in my aprtment. His father also died of cancer at 72.

I am very worried, because this friend spends at least 2 days of the week in my apartment, and he has a cigarette in his hand a good protion of the time. the thing that pisses me off most, is that he doen't really smoke it, because he talks non stop, and just pretty much waves the dam thing around. It burns out, and he lights up another.

I try to avoid him while he smokes, but, it doesn't do much good, because he thinks I am avoiding him. Well duh! Telling him not to smoke, is like telling a preacher not to preach. It isn't going to happen.

I can't stand it. Not only that, but he smokes pot too. It's like living in an ash tray, and, I am always the one that gets to clean up the mess.

13. Green Lotus profile image61
    Green Lotusposted 14 years ago

I have to put in my 2 cents here to say that cigarettes are still enjoyed by millions who would rather "fight than switch" (remember that one?). It's nearly impossible to convince a die hard smoker that smoking will kill them. There are lots of stats, true, but only the smoker can decide if and when they want to quit. Giving up something one finds really pleasurable (and is addicting to boot), is hard. Being told they can't smoke, just makes them mad.

My husband chose to begin using electronic cigarettes but not because he wanted to quit. One reason is that he can now smoke at home indoors, in restaurants, airports, even on airplanes. It's his way to enjoy his habit and beat the rules (which he also thinks are unfair). If he's able to cut down on the tar and nasty stuff in the process, that's a bonus.  Of course, I'm glad for him because I hate the smell, the butts and the smoke.. and just maybe, he'll live longer. E-cigs are just an alternative, but they're what many smokers have been hoping and waiting for.

14. Hokey profile image59
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

Yeah smoking sucks. I smoke 4 cigarettes a day. Have been able to stay at 4 for a month now. Soon I am going to drop to three. E-cigs sound pretty cool. I am going to check into it but I really just want to stop.

15. Green Lotus profile image61
    Green Lotusposted 14 years ago

Although I'm a big fan of e-cigs, there is still not enough evidence for me to say that they help you quit tobacco totally. You can keep reducing the nicotine level, down to zero and that helps, but it's up to the individual as to whether they can get over the "hand to mouth" habit. Good for you getting down to four!

16. Lynda Gary profile image60
    Lynda Garyposted 14 years ago

I HATE being a smoker.

The dying part doesn't bother me.  I agree; we'll all die of something, eventually.

It's LIVING as a smoker that I hate:  the smell, the after-taste, the cost, the damage to my lungs that I need to breathe/live, the fact that I've influenced all my kids to smoke, the cost, the smell, the cough, the control over my choices in life, the cost....

I tried Chantix.  It was working. The insurance companies denied more than a months worth (and it takes at least 3).

I've tried the patch.  It helps me reduce, but not quit.

I've tried the lozenges, and a combination of patch + lozenge.  Nadda.

I'll look into the e-thing.  Like I said, I HATE being a smoker...

17. profile image0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

I smoke. I know the risks of smoking. I only smoke in my home. I don't smoke around other people unless they smoke too.

EDIT: Just to add, car exhaust contains much more harmful things, yet everyone is still allowed to drive in public.

18. JustTwoGrips profile image60
    JustTwoGripsposted 14 years ago

What nobody talks about is the fact that most of the smokers who contracted a form of cancer were all who lit there choice of smokes with that old fire starter invention, " Sulphur matches " .  Sure they say the cancer rate due to smoking is going up.  But take a moment and put it in perspective.  The population is going up.  So the numbers are going to show an increase. I smoke and I know it can't all be that good for me in general.  But I know quite a few older men in their late 70's who smoked heavily most of their lives and only quite in their 50 - 60's. So many do survive.  Its a choice and for that second hand smoke propaganda....give me a break.  I can come up with 101 things we all come across in our daily lives that take a toll on our health.  Ever pump gas in your car and smell the fumes ?

19. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Nobody dies from cancer,gunshot,brain tumor,liver disease! We all die from one simple cause, your heart stops! Cancer probably won't get you if you smoke but that heart is taking a beating every time you light up, take it from someone who's heart said "fuck you and all you put me through" heart attacks hurt!

By the way, I still smoke and can't seem to stop....

20. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

Anyone got a light?

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Shit girl, you don't need a light you're smoking!!

1. profile image0
        lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OK you just did it again, keep turning me on and I love you.  Just accept it, can't change it.  Tex, seriously can't find a fucking light =oh use stove, forgot xo

1. profile image0
          A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Stoves work

1. profile image0
            lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

whew god I love my smokes stove saved me, bit of drag lol but o well, thanks Tex

21. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

houston, we have a problem.  the stove won't light my splif

22. paul_gibsons profile image60
    paul_gibsonsposted 14 years ago

oh I do want t give up, and I will... but because I want to, not because I am told to or forced to. In fact the current "hetze" against smokers and smoking,has probably kept me smoking for longer than I would have otherwise. And of course it is handy in my work as it keeps the mozzies away...

A 70-year old friend of mine was told by his doctor to stop smoking. "don't worry about the damage, that has already been done. But it makes dying such a much more pleasurable experience". Now that is pragmatism and motivation for you! And my friend did, two years now (although he now sidles up next to me when I light up and breathes deeply..)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)