Insomnia(Sleeplessness)

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (22 posts)
  1. vydyulashashi profile image57
    vydyulashashiposted 13 years ago

What are the causes of Insomnia and how to overcome it?

1. sofs profile image77
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Anxiety or for that matter any kind of mental health issue is characterized by sleeplessness or sleep disturbances. Stress causes insomnia.
      This is an important symptom to watch out, so chill out, stay calm and sleep well.

vydyulashashiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hmmm..depression is one of the major cause of insomina

1. Rafini profile image83
          Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes, depression is a mental illness.

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

in my case it is overwork. when i am working on something big or complex, my mind takes a while to shut off. i usually never have trouble falling alseep but the last couple of weeks have been problematic. i still fall asleep easily but then i wake up and start thinking about some detail that needs attention and then i go 'you can take care of that in the morning' but it nibbles at me and then i start thinking about something else that needs attention or another way to approach a problem and then i am all awake so i log on and start working because i can't rest until it is resolved. if i can't resolve it i will still get up and write down my thoughts on my iPad and that bright screen would wake up anyone.

sometimes having caffeine in your system can keep you awake, or exercising too close to bedtime. oh, and stay away from computers before bedtime too smile

people with work stress find it difficult to sleep and in present scenario this is quite common among employees

3. snagerries profile image69
      snagerriesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In many people, insomnia can be the result of:

1. Anxiety, a condition in which individuals feel increased tension, apprehension, and feelings of helplessness, fear, worry, and uncertainty. This may be due to the effects that other people at work have on us, financial worries, concerns over relationships outside work or numerous other causes.

2. Stress, or how effectively a person copes with any emotional, physical, social, economic, or other factor that requires a response or change.

3. Depression, a mood disturbance characterized by feelings of sadness, despair, and discouragement.

what about girl friend/boy friend?
        how they make each other sleep less?? big_smile
        and according to your classification in which category they fall?? tongue

4. Goodpal profile image76
      Goodpalposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are several causes of insomnia -- not being able to sleep for several nights at a stretch. But you seriously wish to get rid of it, there are two tips that almost always work.

1. Exercise vigorously or take up long jogging or running. The idea is to exhaust physically. If your lifestyle is sedentary, include physical activities. You may also take up sports such as soccer or go for swimming. When you are physically tired, sleep can not stay behind.

2. Alongside take support of brainwave entrainment audios. If you don't know what they are, read my hub on that topic. They are fast and effective. You will definitely dose off within an hour. regularly listening gives gives you several other healthy benefits.

It will help to analyze the cause of your insomnia and try eliminating it.

Wow..the idea of getting physically strained is good one..
        Yeah people who work hard in day time can sleep well at night.

2. koreanmv8 profile image61
    koreanmv8posted 13 years ago

Eat Blackstrap molasses an orgamic multivitamins before eating meals, it makes you young and healthy, sleep like a baby.

3. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Sometimes people mistake not feeling like sleeping for "insomnia" because they think it's important to x number of hours of sleep a night, whether or not they're tired enough to sleep.  If you have to get up for work early, you can't "just not sleep" (sometimes), because you know you'll be tired if you don't sleep.  Not everyone wants or needs to sleep that 6 or 8 hours a night, though, so not being able to sleep seems like insomnia.  A lot of people live on 4 hours of sleep all the time, or else live on a a few hours of sleep most of the time and get a couple of good sleeps when the time is right.  Is it healthy?  It's said not to be (although if someone doesn't need 8 hours of sleep and isn't going to sleep that long even if he tries, I'm not sure it has to be all that unhealthy, if he's getting what his own body needs and functioning well).

I stay up until I'm so tired I feel like I'm going to "pass out", set my alarm for a few hours later, and keep myself just tired enough to never have insomnia!   lol  A couple of nights a week I may need to sleep at 10 or 11, but then I'll be awake at 2:30 or 3 a.m. 4 or 5 hours is pretty much what I need.  Since I work from home, I don't need to start (if I don't want to) until 9 or so; so if I go to sleep at 4 I may sleep until 8 or 8:30 some days.  Once in a while if I'm really tired I may sleep earlier in the evening until 2 or 3.  I don't do this often, but sleeping from 8 or 8:30 p.m. until 3 is pretty much a standard night's sleep for most people.  So, I do catch up once in awhile.  For my whole adult life, if I try to sleep and can't sleep, I don't call it "insomnia".  I call it "not ready to sleep yet", and just stay up for another while.

I know there are people who get "real" insomnia, but I do think a lot of people just think they have to sleep more than they really do.   hmm

yeah..you are rite.some people just think that they are sleepless although they ain't  are

4. fucsia profile image61
    fucsiaposted 13 years ago

I do shift work,also during the night, and I think this is the cause of my (occasional) insomnia. Sometime I have difficulty to falling asleep or , more often, I wake up in the middle of the night with a thousand thoughts in head, as if my head is always active and my body tired. Maybe they are dissociated...

Work stress is the major cause of insomnia.
      Make your schedule simpler by planning a good time table. You can overcome it easily

5. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

The older I get, the more trouble I have sleeping.

Are you having any stress related problems like with kids,work,relations etc. If no and still you are suffering from insomnia you got to pay attention to it.

2. camlo profile image83
      camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've known a lot of people who seem to need (need) less and less sleep the older they get.

Do you feel tired during the day? If not, you're getting the amount of sleep you need.

Yeah Physical strain will lead to sleep where as mental strain will cause the opposite.

6. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

you do  not need as much sleep as you get older, although some people cannot sleep long stretches anymore, and nap in the afternoon.  I never worry when i cannot sleep at night i just catch up at another time.  I am always tired, but that is another issue.... probably related to poor diet.

7. Ask Dr. John profile image60
    Ask Dr. Johnposted 13 years ago

It is a myth that people need less sleep as we get older. Eight to ten hours is what adults need. Children ten to twelve. Taking a nap in the afternoon is fine, you probably need it if you're not sleeping a full 8-10 hours at night. It is no wonder you are always tired. Most American adults do not get the proper amount of sleep. Stress, lack of physical activity, poor diet, and hormone imbalance can be factors in insomnia. Please see a physician first, get some blood drawn, and see what therapy your physician can recommend. Sometimes, it is as simple as taking a long walk after dinner, or a committed daily exercise program.  I never recommend sleeping pills, they give you a washed out feeling most of the morning. But, your physician may recommend Trazodone 50 to 100 mg. at bedtime. It is  not a sleeping pill, but an Antidepressant you take at night.  It takes about two weeks to take full effect, but many report excellent sleep, with no "hangover" the next day. Good luck! I enjoy your hub, and will be following.

The complicated of aspect of insomnia is troubling many adults as well as youngsters. Some of them try very hard to sleep but they can't. They have to analyze their life style and try get rid of mentally related problems and try to have a happy life so that they can feel before sleep "Today was great day"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)