jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (16 posts)

What is your favorite scifi/fantasy novel or series?

1. chip1775 profile image84
    chip1775posted 4 years ago

What is your favorite scifi/ fantasy novel or series? Who is your favorite author?

2. SimeyC profile image89
    SimeyCposted 4 years ago

Such  a tough question! Tolkien has to rank up there as he brought me into the genre of fantasy. I really like Brandon Sanderson now - and of course love the classics such as Asimov etc.

chip1775posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I love Jim Butcher right now. Tolkien is a given. I haven't read Brandon Sanderson. I'll have to check him out. I gave up on Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time before he died.

3. Kris Oller profile image73
    Kris Ollerposted 4 years ago

Have you tried The Belgariad?  Those are pretty good as well.

chip1775posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes! One of my all time favorites. My brother introduced me to the Belgariad when I was little and absolutely loved them.

4. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 4 years ago

Terry Pratchet's disc world novels, my favourite being A hat full of sky.

5. Kangaroo_Jase profile image82
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 4 years ago

The Riftwar Cycle - all 29 books by Raymond E Feist, the last one EVER to come out May 2013. I am excited and sad about this, lol.

1. SimeyC profile image89
      SimeyCposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Ohhh man - he's ending the saga! Magician (when it was one whole book and not three books) was one of the first fantasy books I read after the Lord of the Rings - I've followed it every since and grown old with the stories and characters! It will be missed!

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image82
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I know!!!!

I read Magician about 45 times, not including the missing chapters!!!!!

6. chip1775 profile image84
    chip1775posted 4 years ago

Riftwar saga was awesome! I like his other series better. I think the first book was Servant of the Empire? Great books.

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image82
      Kangaroo_Jaseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That was the three books written with Janny Wurts, Servant Of The Empire, Daughter Of The Empire & Mistress Of The Empire. All contemporary of the timeframe of Magician.

7. Willsummerdreamer profile image88
    Willsummerdreamerposted 4 years ago

I have a lot of favorites series but if I had to pick.....I'd say The Wheel of Time for fantasy and the Dune books for Sci-fi. Favorite authors....that's harder to pin down. I'll get back to you on that lol.

8. MizBejabbers profile image90
    MizBejabbersposted 4 years ago

Anne McCaffrey, Terry Brooks, Jennifer Fallon, Raymond Feist, gosh, I could go on and on. Right now I am alternating between the Shannara series by Terry Brooks and I have just finished the Chalion novels by Lois McMaster Bujold. And I'm impatiently waiting for the last Riftwar novel by Raymond Feist.  i guess my favorite is whatever I am reading at the time.

9. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 4 years ago

Fantasy - The Hobbit, J.R.R. Tolkien
    Sci-Fi - Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, Orson Scott Card

10. M Zees profile image81
    M Zeesposted 4 years ago

Tolkien tops my list with lord of the Rings, Hobbit and Silmarillion, and then we have Wheel of time followed by Umru Ayyar and Tilism Hoshruba (Umru the Sly and the Realm of Awe), a work in Urdu which is beyond fantastic. It is similar to the Thousand and one Arabian nights and is related to Hamzanama, another beautiful work in Urdu which has been translated into English.

11. profile image0
    Jayfortposted 4 years ago

Favorite novel would be "Glory Road" by Robert A. Heinlein.

Favorite series would be "The Warbots" series by G. Harry Stine (a protege of Heinlein's).

working