jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (21 posts)

100 words without the letter "A"

1. Kevin Peter profile image75
    Kevin Peterposted 3 years ago

Can you say 100 words continuously that doesn't contain the letter "A"? If yes, please explain how?

1. phdast7 profile image81
      phdast7posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Do you mean an intelligent sentence/paragraph?   or just words?

lemon, onions, milk, butter, cheese, chips, flour, buttermilk, honey, grits, bulghur, olives, celery, eggs, rice, lentils, cherries, blueberries, kiwi, honeydew, kidneys, liver, chicken, turkey, pork, mutton, fish, mussels, shrimp, lobster, oysters, pepperoni, corn, pickles, beets, pumpkins, lettuce, jelly, preserves, pickles, biscuits, muffins, pie, strudel, swiss, brownies, cookies, cheese, provolone, yogurt, juice, coffee, syrup, pepper, dill, dish, fork, knife, spoon,bowl, cup, mug, tongs, grill, fry, broil, pepper, chiles, ginger, pumpernickel, lime, nutmeg, figs, cherries, skillet, dutch oven, stove, counter, stool, shelf, rug, broom, mop, picture, sink, tub, shower, blinds, computer, cell, phone, olive oil, broccoli, Chinese five spice, one, two, three, four, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, sixty, seventy, eighty, ninety, hundred, million, billion, french, portuguese, british, Mexico, Mississippi, Oregon, Illinois, Tennessee, Kentucky , Greece, New Jersey, New York, Pittsburgh, Ceylon, Philippines, reef, dessert, pie, desert, jungle, river, pool, pond, brook, rocks, pebbles, underground, mining, gold, silver, copper, spider, mouse, insects, turtle, squirrel, mole, centipede, thrush, owl, fox, lion, dogs, wolves, tree, bush, flowers, weeds, iris, roses, 

I wonder if your intent, your purpose is for the writer to produce one long continuous sentence or story or possibly multiple sentences on specific topics, which will be much more difficult to complete.   I Interesting exercise - flow of consciousness with words is interesting to observe.  I think I will  give up now, for this is too much like work.  smile 

To be honest, I removed the word Smyrna because it had an A in it.  Thanks to Motown and her sharp eyes for spotting it.   I read over my 100+ word list three times and didn't see it.  lol

1. 0
        Beth37posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I have to say, that seemed like quite a bit of effort. I like your commitment. lol

Hi Beth -  I love words and so I just free associated.   It took about twenty minutes of seat time in front of the desktop.  smile

2. 0
        Motown2Chitownposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Your list is awesome, but Smyrna has an a in it.....drat!

You have good eyes Motown.   I checked and rechecked the list for the letter a and of course every time when I got to Smyrna all I noticed was  the "y."   Well shoot!   At least I went well over 100 words, so Smyrna will have to me my throwaway.   smile

1. 0
            Motown2Chitownposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It's funny isn't it?  Our eyes land right on what isn't supposed to be there in the midst of everything that belongs!  And, lemme tell ya, it was probably luck!  I was always terrible at the 'spot the differences' puzzles!

3. Sed-me profile image83
        Sed-meposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Ok, let's try it as a paragraph then.

I sent my sister to the store. She's very timid! She needs to get out more, maybe even meet some nice boy. However, she forgot the grocery list buying tons of things we didn't need. Things like weed killer, pruning sheers, even fertilizer! I couldn't believe it! I didn't even know the grocery store sold those things! She'd spent our food money for the week on tools! I blew up! "How could you be so stupid?! You were supposed to get lettuce, milk, eggs... things we need to survive. I knew you were silly, but I didn't know you were completely bonkers!" She just smiled so I yelled and yelled some more until she led me over to the window, where, in our overgrown flower bed, stood the most comely fellow I'd ever seen holding some sheers. My mouth fell open when she spoke. "He's my new boyfriend, groundskeeper Joe. I met him on the bus. " We were slightly hungry, but I never more referred to her with the word "timid".

2. Silverspeeder profile image61
      Silverspeederposted 2 years ago in reply to this

No but I know a few without a vowel at all
      Sky, spy, shy, fry, fly, why, dry, try, tryst, gym, hymn, lynx, lynch, myth, wyrm, myrrh, rhythm, pygmy, gypsy, flyby, crypt, nymph, and syzygy.

Anybody know anymore?

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

a,e,i,o,u and sometimes y and w

3. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Exit, cousin, sibling, mother, uncle, pope, nun, sister, brother, priest, future, present, history, life, elope, evil, died, lied, defile, Egypt, pepper, fish, egg, green, grey, purple, olive, loden, blue, violet, indigo, turquoise, million, trillion, quintillion, sextillion, septillion, octillion, multillion, moon, Venus, Jupiter, Pluto, Mercury, Virgo, Pisces, Gemini, Leo, Scorpio, medium, only, singleton, crux, trust, night, jet, onyx, sky, evening, midnight, devil, pitch, ditch, itch, ugly, terrible, horrible, incredible, inedible, delicious, sushi, uni, flounder, found, lost, cost, effective, gorgeous, high, low, excellent, good,  benefit, vow, wow, Connecticut, Wyoming, Illinois, Missouri, Ohio, gel, tell, dive, strive, money, sleep, ghetto, neighborhood, country, onion, lettuce, butter, chicken, ending,old.

Now, that's was easy. Just think of one word and THE REST will follow!

4. bBerean profile image60
      bBereanposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Yes, it's easy:
      "100 words continuously."

5. Smyles profile image60
      Smylesposted 2 years ago in reply to this

If you were asked to do this orally the easiest thing to do is start counting!! One, two, three...all the way to one hundred! You don't get an 'a' until you say 'one hundred and one'!

2. Jiwryte profile image58
    Jiwryteposted 3 years ago

My, how to show you: One hundred words without one specific letter. Quite  difficult, but not impossible. One is forced to puzzle it out, thinking continuously, trying to provide this uncommon request.  Is it possible? Will it ever be done?  Yet, I suppose, with enough forethought, ingenuity, being inspired by, How?  Well, well, let's see...Oh, it helps to be slightly inspired, intrinsicly  nerdy, proceeding in fits,stops, going on slowly. Seems like the closer you get to the end, the degree of difficulty multiplies.  But I suppose, yes, it's possible, if not spoken, then surely written, with some circuitous routing, but yes, seem it is indeed possible

3. Sunardi profile image39
    Sunardiposted 2 years ago

If only mention the words is easy, but if I must make a sentence use words without A is not easy I think.

4. Sed-me profile image83
    Sed-meposted 2 years ago

love, life, minor, blot, hid, hide, hone, bone, lone, throne, chrome, drone, spleen, dorm, honey, took, rook, hook, brook, come, from, just, bust, trust, must, lust, behoove, groove, lick, stick, prick, tick, hover, bother, cover, glop, grope, tend, bend, send, lend, friend, end, chip, dip, lip, trip, tripe, hype, snipe, pipe, type, dog, frog, grog, log, snog, pooch, hooch, dither, hug, rug, tug, dug, mug, jug, lug, gin, hen, cine, trite, smite, kite, fright, night plight, white, sight, light, night, height, win, wine, wind, rind, round, pound, clown, down, mound, town, frown, slip, sleep, deep, treat, eat, plot, dot, pool.

phdast7posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Great job, but check your last line....replace treat and eat with words with no a.   smile

1. Sed-me profile image83
        Sed-meposted 2 years ago in reply to this

trot hot

5. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

dove, drive, level, letter, better, lost, boss, cross, bet, pet, put, pit, pot, sock, crock, clock, lurk, white, write, right, omit, hermit, meticulous, ridiculous, ludricous, wonderful, tell, cell, stem, chlorophyll, pleistocene, psycho, rock, brook, ice, Europe, Oregon, God, Jesus, enlightment, evolve, dissolve, solution, dissolution, revulution, communist, deny, refute, conclusive, broccoli, nothingness, zero, positivity, possibility, impossibility, Jones, controlling, burdensome, onus, whip, zip, sheet, bone, offwhite, obtuse, brutish, uncouth, roughneck, Newport, Suffolk, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, demote, inspire, denote, consequence, reverence, dog, disrespect, intellect, gifted, Semitic, Coptic, orthodox, bible, bestseller, miniscule, vigintillion mugshot, wretched, scope, splendid, delve, indeed, ink, pink, kin, tingle, mingle.

More goodies without the letter "a".

6. ironangel89 profile image60
    ironangel89posted 2 years ago

shop, crop, slop, sloppy, joe, show, grow, low, mow, sew, shoe, fool, crew, cruel, slew, Jew, tool, cool, stool, mule, cow, house, mouse, couch, wrench, bench, sink, link, blink, wink, crinkly, tickle, jingle, jury, hurry, worry, bury, store, for, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, one, two, three, run, running, stroll, strolling, stroller, mole, stole, bowl, roll, jolly, folly, stop, cop, police, fire, wire, sire, dire, leer, veer, deer, steer, reindeer, lion, lying, bed, red, led, died, lied, ride, kite, flight, slight, might, right, light, troll, lime, lemon, melon, ice, rice, lice, mice, beer, tire, tired, wired, fired, shock, block, sock, rock, rocking, rocked,

1. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

umber, sober somber, tomb, comb, voting, tote, mirror, cypress, typing typology, intuitive, thinking, feeling, seeing, freeing, freeze, bronze, noon, soon, tune, tomfoolery, cuisine, gold, red, bred, breed, brood, gruel, gripe, throughout, threw, muscle, skeleton, skinny, obese, rotund, corpulent, quinteroon, octoroon, look, foreseen, blonde, Negroid, woolly, cellulose, viscose, nutty, Theodore, Frederick, Mindy, fleshtone, nude, cherry, gentle, slither, smoky, moss, glossy, superior, inferior, pecking, mysterious, neighbor, frenemy, comedy, Hun, Goth, Mongol, genus, mink, herb, superb, suburb, subtropic, viper, tiger, sizzle, scorching, welcoming, chickenpox, fizzle, juvenile, puerile, neon, eight, ninety, teen, preteen, tween, oddity, outsider, excluded, Nordic, Berber, desert, dessert, stressed, ionic, Moors, Poles, Czechs, Greeks, Turks, culture, intermingling, Vikings, Swedes, north, south, east, west, northwest.