A Grief Often Un-observed

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Peculiar author profile image61
    Peculiar authorposted 13 years ago

When Puddles died, I was only twelve.  Puddles was thirteen.  We loved her so much.  We buried her in the backyard.  We cried as mom lain down the last specks of dirt.  The death of a pet was my first experience of loss and death.  I feel thankful that we were given an opportunity to have a procession of music on our way to the backyard, dig a grave, throw ashes, and drop flowers.  All of this provided healing for our pain.
    I grew up hearing stories of friends, whose pets just disappeared in the night.  Later, they were to learn that their beloved had died and because the parents were unable to share the loss with the children, the beloved pet’s absence became a mystery.  Others shared experiences of a family member bluntly telling them to “not grieve” or “you are only being selfish or feeling sorry for yourself.”
    Many of us, are grieving losses on many levels: loved ones who have died, jobs,  illness, innocence, dreams, bodily functioning, even our faith.  The list is probably much more extensive.  There are a couple of important aspects to healthy grieving.  The first is that we give ourselves permission to experience the anger, guilt, fear, and pain of the loss(es.)
    The above stories about families’ response to the death of a pet are diverse.  Those families who gave permission to grieve found more closure and peace.  Permission for my brothers and me came in the form of flowers, ashes, and a procession of music. 
    Another important aspect of healing, is to be good to yourself.  Often times, the most threatening and harmful ingredients to healing, are ourselves.  Perhaps, it is anger or guilt that halt self-care.  We can be pretty hard on ourselves.  The mercy and patience we extend to others seems too far out of reach.  For some, such care may even feel undeserved.     
    For those of us, who are presently feeling the depth of despair and the roar of inner pain, let us give ourselves permission to heal.  We should move at a pace that feels right for us.  This may be spiritually sitting, standing, walking, or even running. 

If you are presently feeling overwhelmed by your pain or grief, allow yourself to make decisions that are right for you.  I have talked with many about their pain; some are choosing to share such episodes with friends, family, and others close to them
    For many of us, the pain is holding its grip firmly.  Our stories are feeling compounded as we hear the stories of others.  Our own spirits feel sick and in agony.  Being good to ourselves, may mean taking time off to reflect on our own pain and not moving too quickly.  Whatever step we choose, it is important that it allow us to be at a place where we are not despairing.

1. tnderhrt23 profile image74
      tnderhrt23posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Tears stream down my face as I read this. Your words are so wise and true. Ours is a society that does not allow for grief, which is a very essential part of life. Grief is very personal and individual.  Cannot be confined to a "three day bereavement". The show of emotion that often accompanies grief is not permitted either. Our society does not permit much show of emotion, regardless of how deep or intense, for it makes those who witness it intensely uncomfortable. When my father died, I was 17 years old. My parents were separated and I lived with him, to care for him in his illness. He was my world. When he passed I was devastated on levels I could not even comprehend. At the viewing, I broke down  and sobbed loudly. Everyone wanted to take me home, call the doctor and medicate me.(shut her up!) Thinking of it today still wrenches my gut. Anyways, this is a very important hub, peculiar author, one everyone needs to read, and then read again! Loss and grief are a part of living, and we all need to learn how to deal with it in a healthy and productive way. Thank you.

2. Wintermyst profile image60
    Wintermystposted 13 years ago

Great story, well written and so true. Thanks for sharing this. I know you have given people alot to think about.

3. Right On Time profile image61
    Right On Timeposted 13 years ago

This is beautiful and heartfelt, thanks for sharing, precious advice for many is contained here.

4. miss_jkim profile image74
    miss_jkimposted 13 years ago

Very nice words of encouragement; this should be a Hub!

As a Hub, it would receive more views from readers who may benefit greatly from your post.

1. Right On Time profile image61
      Right On Timeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

totally agree

5. profile image0
    Sierra Mackenzieposted 13 years ago

I agree, it should be a hub so that many more people can read it and learn from your powerful words.  We all grieve at the loss of a loved one, and we will continue to lose those we love as we grow older.  We lose and grieve for pets, children, parents, friends.  There is no correct way to grieve, each of us respond to loss differently, but God can heal the broken hearted.

6. FaithDream profile image78
    FaithDreamposted 13 years ago

This is well written and I agree, it should be a Hub. The article if filled with great encouragement.
    People tend to think losing a pet is not a big deal, but it is.. Grieving over a pet is similar to grieving over a family member. Their presence is no longer there with us and the pain from that loss can be huge.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)