Sensible Immigration Reform - Border Security, National ID & Work Place Enforcement
Much has been writing about the immigration issues on the US from both sides of the fence..I know, bad pun. I am going to try and break down this topic in a logical manner and present my ideas for a resolution. I know that this is a very emotional topic and this tends to make us overlook many of the common ground solutions that many of us can agree on.
1. Almost no country can allow unrestricted access across their borders. Much of the criticism of the law comes from Latin American countries such as Mexico, which have much tougher laws and much more vigorous enforcement of their laws than we do here in the United States. However, the US is seen as a destination of choice for many of their citizens due to relatively plentiful employment opportunities here.
Criticizing another country for enforcing their laws, especially laws that are less harsh and provide more benefits than the laws enforced by your own forces is unabashedly hypocritical and self centered. A double standard is not acceptable simply because you benefit from it.
The United States has laws. We are a Country that has welcomed immigrants for hundreds of years, but you do it the right way, and yes it is difficult, as it should be. Newly minted Americans are some of the most vigorous defenders of our nation as they have sacrificed to become one of us, not snuck across a line in the sand in the middle of the night like a common criminal.
We must secure our borders for a myriad of reasons. The Government of our country has an obligation to protect the life and property of its citizens. This is the PRIMARY function of government and one that has been largely ignored. We have a war going on just south of our border. Anyone who thinks that this is not a safety issue, I invite you to get out of your comfort zone and go take a walk through the neighborhoods along the border in San Ysidro (San Diego), Yuma and El Paso.We have our citizens and law enforcement being killed by drug dealers and smugglers crossing our southern borders with impunity.
2. We need a national form of identification. If you have ever been out of the US you have most likely needed to carry a passport. Every country you visit will ask to see this and in many cases require a Visa as well. This is normal and this is how the world works, get used to it. I can not imagine that any responsible person would have an issue with carrying a form of ID. Picture ID is needed to drive a car, board an airplane, cash a check, collect ANY government benefits, vote, buy alcohol or cigarettes, and even to use a credit or debit card. A standardized National ID card (issued by the states similar to a drivers license) would solve many problems.
In tandem with a national form of ID, a strict policy of anti-profiling criteria. This is VERY simple... EVERY TIME that law enforcement personnel stops anyone, for anything, they ask for your ID, regardless of your color, accent etc. You must already present ID in most cases, certainly you must in Mexico. If you have ever been stopped by an officer, you must present ID. With all of the dangers that we face in our modern world, the days of not being required to have the ability to prove that you are who you say you are are simply over.
The ridiculous statements, such as those made recently by the president, that law abiding families will be rounded up on the way to get ice cream are just that, ridiculous. We need checks to make sure that race is not a factor. You check EVERYONE! I Can not imagine the majority of Americans would have an issue with this. If you have young children, and you have an identity card, then of course the kids are fine as well.
3. We need to get past the rhetoric. I do not care why someone breaks a law, if you break that law you pay the consequences.
THIS ENFORCEMENT SHOULD BE CONCENTRATED ON THOSE HIRING ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS OR PARTICIPATING IN THEIR EXPLOITATION AND SMUGGLING INTO THIS COUNTRY.
The most despicable offenders are those who knowingly (or through apathy) exploit those who are here looking for a better life. We need tough penalties and vigorous enforcement against employers who do not use the widely available and accurate mechanisms for checking employment eligibility. You dry up the jobs, you solve much of the problem. This would also help with the record unemployment of our own citizens. Once these things have been done we can talk about a guest worker program, when and if those workers are actually needed.
1. Secure the Border
2. Nationalized form of ID
3. Strengthen enforcement and punishments for employers who violate the law.
4. Streamline deportation of violent/drug related immigrants
5. Enforce anti-profiling policies and laws. CHECK EVERYONE INSTEAD!
- 10 Best Party Places IN THE WORLD!!! - Time to Get Crazy
There are not many things about which I would say I am an expert, I am pretty good with women, I have a nice jump-shot and can grill a mean steak...but other than that I am pretty just your average well...
- How to make a man happy in bed - Not Difficult at ALL!!
I do not know how I kept stumbling on all of these "advice about men" articles, but once again, I was blown away by how flipping stupid much of the advise was. You would think that WHATEVER wrote them would...
- Keep your MAN happy - 3 simple RULES all women need to know
OK, right off the bat...don't get mad at me for saying what I am about to say. Women, if you do not like what you are reading then there is a pretty good chance that you really do not want to know what a man...
More by this Author
This article required YEARS of hard drinking and investigative research in hundreds of bars, pubs, clubs, lounges and parties on 4 continents. Lucky for you....I am your man...and have been preparing to write...
One of the most common questions I receive regarding the iphone has to do with the loss of sound through the earpiece. This can be caused by several things and may not be fixable if it is actually a speaker...
WOMEN!!!...don't get mad at me for saying what I am about to say. If you don't like what you are reading, then there is a pretty good chance that you really do not want to know what a man wants. I am going to tell you...