jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)

Women: You can't start a business without Romney's help!

1. Mighty Mom profile image92
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

The dynamic duo Romney/Ryan are in Ohio today, ostensibly courting the "women's vote." And how do they do that?
    By insulting women entrepreneurs!
    Seriously!

The presumptive Republican nominee told the crowd that women are "more likely" to start businesses than men and "need our help."

So wait. Obama's "you didn't build that" became a rallying cry for the right, ending up on banners and t-shirts at GOP rallies.

But wait. Isn't R/R saying essentially the exact same thing, but targeting it solely to WOMEN business owners?

Message: If you are a woman and want to start a business, you can't do it by yourself. You need OUR help.

Do I really?

Hypocritcal at best, misogynistic at worst.

roll

1. Mitch Alan profile image84
      Mitch Alanposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Here are the full quotes

“Women in this country are more likely to start businesses than men,” Romney said. “Women need our help.”  (The campaign pointed to Census Bureau data which found between 2002 and 2007, women created twice as many businesses as men.)

“I want to speak to the women of America who have dreams who begin businesses in their homes who begin businesses out in the marketplace who are working in various enterprises and companies, I want you to be successful,” Romney said. “Our campaign is about making it easier for entrepreneurs, women and men, to start businesses, to grow businesses we will champion small business because we know that’s where our jobs come.”

They talk about "making it easier for entrepreneurs, women and men". They want to make a better environment for ALL business.  Read it in context.

Additionally, there are approximately 800,000 few women working than when President Obama took office. I don't agree with all of Romney's ideas, but I do agree that we are not better off now than 4 years ago. I also believe that getting the federal government out of the way of small businesses (male and female owned) and reducing taxes will go a long way toward helping this economy.

p.s. though you and I don't always agree...I enjoy your Hubs.

Mighty Momposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hi Mitch Alan.
        Thanks.
        I absolutely agree and appreciate your posting the full quote.
        Words lifted out of context are dangerous and inflammatory.
        At this stage of the campaign, everyone is on edge just looking for insults (real or imagined) to justify their position.
        "Can you believe what he/she/thay just said!??" lol
        That was my main point.
        Poking a little fun at all of us uber caffeinated politial junkies, including myself.
        smile

As to the substance of the quote, I have three comments:
        1. I give R/R props for doing an end-run around the social policies that are hurting them with women voters. This approach was smart.
        2. I give R/R props for recognizing that women start more businesses than men.
        3. Although the regulatory hurdles faced by small, start-up businesses tend to be more local (city, county, state) than federal, any/all support is welcome.

Message: Don't sit around waiting for those jobs, jobs, jobs Congress was supposed to be focusing on. Not gonna happen.
        Go out there and create your own!

1. Mitch Alan profile image84
          Mitch Alanposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Mighty mom, I've always said it is we tge people and we should neither wait on nor rely on the government... especially the federal.

smile
            Good attitude.

2. Shadesbreath profile image90
      Shadesbreathposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You're working way too hard on this one.

I'm making up for lost time from yesterday, when I didn't get my knickers in a twist about the birther joke.
        lol

1. Shadesbreath profile image90
          Shadesbreathposted 4 years ago in reply to this

lol

3. KFlippin profile image60
      KFlippinposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Was there something sensible to take away from this. . . . or was it just "buffoonery"? as defined tonight by Geraldo Rivera?  I find I'm so bereft of intellectual prowess that I need some hubber guidance as to whether this is a serious discussion comment or a moment of "Saturday Night Live" humor to lighten the conversation.........

2. tamron profile image60
    tamronposted 4 years ago

Women Rule!

The world would be a better place if everyone accepted that fact!
      smile

3. Evan G Rogers profile image82
    Evan G Rogersposted 4 years ago

And you don't own your business under Obama.

4. 0
    Sarra Garrettposted 4 years ago

I am woman hear me roar

5. HowardBThiname profile image90
    HowardBThinameposted 4 years ago

I think it's great that Romney's promoting women in business. It sure beats Obama telling the women (and the men) that they didn't build their own business.

Women are still at a bit of a deficit when it comes to earnings so supporting women in business, strengthens them.

I didn't know that was Romney's position until now and I'm impressed.

6. Doodlehead profile image81
    Doodleheadposted 4 years ago

He will change it tomorrow.   Tomorrow, once his media gurus have chastised him for this latest statement, he'll come out with:  "women are so capable and independent that they don't need help".

Just ignore anything he says.   There was a legit study the other day that documented 533 lies he made in about 3 months.   No joke.   Google. it.

working