jump to last post 1-16 of 16 discussions (18 posts)

Have you ever got caught got in a traffic jam? The longest?

1. thirdmillenium profile image72
    thirdmilleniumposted 6 years ago

And, what did you do there?

2. tksensei profile image61
    tksenseiposted 6 years ago

You know it's long enough when everyone turns off their engines, gets out and starts tailgaiting.

I got caught in a jam caused by the DC sniper a few years back. Not the longest, but one of the most tense.

1. dohn121 profile image88
      dohn121posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Wow.  When I lived in the Hudson Valley (near NYC) I had to commute over the Mid-Hudson Bridge everyday.  There would always be a traffic jam whenever a so called "jumper" was threatening to jump.

By the way, shouldn't such people be called "stallers" rather than "jumpers"?  I mean, cooks "cook," painters "paint," and writers "write."  Shouldn't jumpers...JUMP?

3. tksensei profile image61
    tksenseiposted 6 years ago

I suppose you're right. They should at least wait to see how it turns out before granting them the title.

1. dohn121 profile image88
      dohn121posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yeah...Talk is cheap smile  During this time of the year, they're at their busiest.  The holidays are awful for those who don't have family or friends, unfortunately.

4. Black Lilly profile image78
    Black Lillyposted 6 years ago

4+ hours on M25 (London).
    It was dead boring, but I got to know the person whom I was stuck with very well.
    Then we took the first available exit and went for a walk.

5. samsbr profile image61
    samsbrposted 6 years ago

Yes once upon time I got caught traffic jam..gave the cop some money and wen out from there LOL smile

6. Helen Cater profile image60
    Helen Caterposted 6 years ago

About ten years ago I took my three boys to a place called Minehead for the weekend. We decided to leave early on the Sunday morning, but there had been a really bad pile up on the motorway. Ten cars involved, and deaths. They shut the motorway off for 7 hours, and me and the kids were sat right in the middle the whole time. It was a complete nightmare as we had no drink, or food, but I kept thinking about the poor families who had lost loved ones, and thanked whoever was looking down on us, that we were safe in my car. I eventually got home after 11 hours. The worst traffic jam I have ever been in.

7. earnestshub profile image88
    earnestshubposted 6 years ago

Almost daily in my city at the moment. The Government is spending big on roads, and fixing them all at once it seems! smile

8. Casper021 profile image59
    Casper021posted 6 years ago

got stuck once for 7 hours due to traffic accident, was watching dvds while waiting

9. ediggity profile image61
    ediggityposted 6 years ago

Longest was in Southern California.  I just sat in my car for 5 hours listened to music, and formulated a plan on how to fix all the traffic problems.  Then, we started moving, I remembered I was in Southern California, and realized my plan would never work.

10. NaomiR profile image86
    NaomiRposted 6 years ago

The worst I was ever in was when we went to see fireworks on July 4th near my in-laws in Westchester. We were sitting still on this side street for like an hour and a half. Ironically, the radio was playing, "Ain't Nothing Gonna Break My Stride."

11. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 6 years ago

4 hours,

12. Himitsu Shugisha profile image75
    Himitsu Shugishaposted 6 years ago

I live in Atlanta, GA, we're famous for our traffic jams and "rush hour" starting at 3pm and lasting until 7pm.

13. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image59
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 6 years ago

Due to the size of the population, we Indians cannot complain about traffic jams... it is common.

Sometimes nature plays its role in creating traffic jams. In 1994, when we were travelling from Bangalore to Chennai by road, rain was pouring like anything. All the lakes, rivers and lower areas were flooded. On the banks of a lake near Chennai, trees were uprooted and all traffic came to a halt. There were thousands of vehicles on either side awaiting clearance of the fallen trees. From that night, till next noon, we were stranded and had no way to reach our place. This is one of my memorable times... Traffic jammed by nature.

14. cashmere profile image83
    cashmereposted 6 years ago

Yeah, Traffic jams are so common place in India that its a part of life.

15. 0
    ralwusposted 6 years ago

haha,we are free of them here. But, when I was a truck driver, believe you me I was in some horrific ones. Chicago, DC, NY, LA, Dallas and on and on. Glad to be free of them now. Woot!

16. bukan profile image60
    bukanposted 6 years ago

Yes i have experienced in "traffic Jam" - the most boring feel at that time you never get a chance to get out off their until you get your green signal. Its really fel unhealthiness.