jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What is the strangest fish bait you ever used that worked?

1. oceansnsunsets profile image89
    oceansnsunsetsposted 5 years ago

What is the strangest fish bait you ever used that worked?

Was there ever a fish bait that you tried to use that worked out much better than you thought it would?  Curious what things work as bait that might surprise some people

2. badegg profile image78
    badeggposted 5 years ago

I have been an avid fisherman for nearly 50 years. I have tried many strange things that worked wonders for catching fish. Among them were Preparation H (added to a bait or lure), a chunk of ham out of my sandwich, a twistie bread tie, a piece of cloth from my shirt and a church key type bottle opener.

3. ShootersCenter profile image74
    ShootersCenterposted 5 years ago

I've used almost any thing you can imagine, chicken, bacon, bread, and even put some beads on above a bare shiny gold hook and caught fish. When fish are schooling they'll bite at any thing that looks or smells like food.

4. Highvoltagewriter profile image83
    Highvoltagewriterposted 5 years ago

One thing I found as a great bait is Tomato Worms for fishing in both fresh and saltwater. I once read a hub about a guy who carved a carrot to look like a minnow and catch fish, but I have not tried that one! Like others had written, in the right condition anything shinny can catch fish...

5. Rolly A Chabot profile image84
    Rolly A Chabotposted 5 years ago

As an avid fly fisherman I attempt to create the perfect fly that mimics that seen in nature. I spend hours watching and studying different hatches and the stages they go through. Maybe a bit of a purest in some ways... but as a kid I recall once catching a Northern Pike on a single penny hook with a chunk of wiener on it...  It was Dad's idea...

6. Hayley Richardson profile image82
    Hayley Richardsonposted 5 years ago

My husband used canned ravioli when he was a kid!

7. PhoenixV profile image71
    PhoenixVposted 5 years ago

The strangest fish bait I have ever used and it actually caught the largest bass I have ever caught out of a pond was the petal from a sunflower. I ran out of bait and just put one yellow sunflower petal on my hook and caught a very large bass with it.