Should Bills Actually Be Read before they become Law?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (61 posts)
  1. MikeNV profile image68
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

Or should they just be voted on and made into law and "fixed" later.

Maybe this is the new Government Paradigm.

Make laws that only a select few are privy too... then just fix them later.

That's an interesting plan.

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Interesting?

It's tyranny, plain and simple.

People can take it different ways.  Some laugh, some cry, some holler, some take it with a grain of salt.

I take it seriously.
      They need to get their hands off my country!

2. starme77 profile image78
      starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

They definaltly should be read first

3. stephensaldana profile image60
      stephensaldanaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bills must be read before its turn into a law! Law makes a big difference to any country so it has tobe analysed first ...

4. Harvey Stelman profile image61
      Harvey Stelmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mike,

How else can these bills be passed?

5. Disturbia profile image62
      Disturbiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Imagine that.... reading something before signing it.

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, what a novel concept :snort: 

Politicians not reading things before signing them is unfortunately nothing new though.  Back in 1992 British politician Kenneth Clarke signed us up to the Maastricht treaty, which created the European Union out of the EEC and heralded the formation of the Euro.  He actually admitted later that he hadn't read it* before he signed on the dotted line.

*http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4213544.stm

6. Ralph Deeds profile image66
      Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mike, the right-wingers are like a broken record harping over and over on completely b.s. arguments, not to mention lies and distortions. The truth is coming out and Americans are liking what they are hearing.

Obama approval rating soars says Gallup poll: Health reform bill facts & new health care reform bill summary
      25 March, 2010

Washington: Obama approval rating soars says Gallup poll: Health reform bill facts & new health care reform bill summary. The Senate Republicans have yet not lost their hope regarding the health care bill. Experts had thought the after the bill was signed into law the Republicans would accept it. But not so as they have decided to take recourse in law to halt the bill.

The GOP has pledged to use parliamentary tool to torpedo the measure. They have already taken the initiative in some 13 states where they are in majority. Besides, they are seeking help from the Tea Party activists. They have asked the activists to take the case to the public.

Here's a link to a Washington Post article on the most recent Gallup Poll on the health care bill:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezra-k … ore_p.html

One of the predictions that I and many others had about the health-care reform bill was that it would become more popular after passage than it was before passage. Voters like success, the media covers winners more positively than losers, and people take their cues from outcomes. The first poll taken entirely after the House vote bears that out: 50% were enthusiastic or pleased while 42% were angry or disappointed. Similarly, 49% thought this a good thing for the country while 40% thought it bad.

The poll is a Gallup poll, and as they say, that's a sharp improvement over the pre-passage numbers. On 3/9, they asked whether you'd advise your representative to vote for the bill. About 45% said yes, while 48% said no. So there's been a flip from plurality opposition to plurality support. This is, of course, just one poll, amd soon we'll know if it's a general trend.

1. Harvey Stelman profile image61

Ralph,

You know all President's get a bump up when a bill passes that they back.

How is his approval rating compared to a year ago; not so good?

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But, according to Madam X, Gallup can't be trusted smile

2. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

At best, lobbyists write the laws and congressional staff read them, then congress votes on them. I don't think half of them ever read a word.

3. Padrino profile image61
    Padrinoposted 14 years ago

Why change the tradition of our politicians claiming "I didn't know what was in it" that just seems to be too much hope and change.

4. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

The fact that this question is even being asked just shows how far down the rabbit hole we've fallen.

1. Michael Willis profile image67
      Michael Willisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So true!

5. Doug Hughes profile image60
    Doug Hughesposted 14 years ago

The way you wingnuts can chew on a false premise is a sight to behold.

The health care bill was WRITTEN buy the democrats. They worked on it for a year. The GOP was totally obstructionist (with a few early exceptions) and was finally excluded after they made it clear from policy statements and votes that their only goal was to sabotage health care reform.

The republicans may or may not have read the bill. But the democrats who voted knew what they were voting on because it was the rpoduct of their effforts.

This is on a stark contrast to the major accomplishments of the GOP Congress of the last decade. Tax cuts for the rich, legislation promoted by the tich, subsidies for the oil companies, following contributions bythe oil companies, legislation for the banks, following congributions by the banks, gegislation for the Rx industry, following (you guessed it) big contributions by the pharma industry.

You haven't seen legislation written by Congress (instead of written by special interests) for the benefit of the People.

Take a valium.

1. Ohma profile image60
      Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You sir are the best justification to date as to why we should all be Republicans.
      It is obvious that you have appointed yourself the beginning and end all of political knowledge but truthfully you know all that condescending attitude is really un called for.
      You Attack and call every one that dares to disagree with you names and imply that they are somehow lees than you because they dared to have an opinion. Get down off the horse you are on Seriously it is way to much animal for you.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66

He's practically the only one on the political forum who backs his opinion up with facts.

2. JON EWALL profile image60
      JON EWALLposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Doug Hughes

doug said
      the democrats who voted knew what they were voting on because it was the rpoduct of their effforts.

Pelosi said
      when the bill is passed, we will know what is in the bill

Obama and the Democrats needed to promise many members to get the votes to pass a bill that may be unconstitutional. Hurry, hurry we need to pass the bill, they passed the healthcare bill on 3/22/10, Obama signed the bill on 3/23/10 before the Democrat members knew what was in the bill.

Obama told the American people that no longer children with pre existing conditions would have to wait for insurance coverage.
      Another Obama promise that was wrong , apparently he didn't read the bill either.
      The facts are that the pre existing coverage don't start until 2014 .
      Wake up America, our government may have committed fraud in passing the healthcare legislation.
      TODAY WAS ANOTHER HISTORIC DAY
      Social Security is paying out to recipients more money then the government takes in. Will the government pay the trust fund for the IOUs in the vaults?
      The trust fund was projected to be broke in 6 years.
      Can the people trust a government estimate?

Jon,

Always a pleasure to read your writings.

6. tony0724 profile image60
    tony0724posted 14 years ago

Well Nancy told us we had to pass the bill to see whats in it !

I wonder how many of the rabble who opposed the bill can even read? They would have to hire somebody to read it aloud to them.

1. tony0724 profile image60
        tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ralph my kids coulda come up with a better one then that ! LOL

2. Harvey Stelman profile image61

Ralph,

You can say that, but almost 50% of the Republican's are doctors.

Tony,

I can't see; does that mean I'm a Democrat?

1. tony0724 profile image60
        tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Harvey don't scare me !!! smile

Tony,

Don't worry.

7. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

It would be helpful that the politicians who take the time to create a bill, do actually read the damn thing. hmm

You find it hard to believe that anyone would read two thousand pages. I wonder why? A.D.D. perhaps?

2. profile image0
      Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

What Cagsil said.

8. profile image55
    rose2009posted 14 years ago

Do you actually listen to and believe  everything that woman says?She will say anything to get the bills she wants to go through.

9. profile image57
    foreignpressposted 14 years ago

It's true that the bill was a work in progress for a year or longer. But not every Democrat read every aspect of the bill before it was voted on. Even Obama admitted he had no idea what was in the bill.
       But in answer to the question, it depends on the agenda. Why is Pelosi, et al,* trying to push this through so quickly? There is a hidden timetable that a few insiders know about and nobody else.
       It's interesting that there's another lure being used to beckon illegal immigrants into this country. The health care bill states that illegals will not pay the "tax" for treatment. So more illegals will flock to the U.S. seeking jobs, free health care and welfare services. But why?
       Once here, the illegals will be given amnesty. As legal citizens they will be taxed by the states and feds. So that's more money into the coffers. Pelosi's plan is for hundreds of millions of illegals to shore up the economy and to financially stabilize the mandated health care.
       Baby Boomers are history. Pelosi sees the United States as a corporation, not a nation, and more "employees" (i.e., illegals) paying into the system are a sound investment. Further, the more ignorant the employees are, the easier it will be to socialize them into a mindless flock.

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
      Doug Hughesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Foreignpress said - " Even Obama admitted he had no idea what was in the bill."

I think we have moved from the realm of opinion - to the realm of fiction- or perhaps fantasy. I don't believe he ever said that.

Sarah Palin said " Ya' can't just make stuff up!"

Doug,

Obama has repeadly admitted e doesn't know a good prtion of what's in the bill. How can anyone?

10. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Doug, I once thought you were a reasonable guy, even though I didn't always agree with you. If you really think all the dems read this bill before signing it, you're sadly mistaken! Weiner is a perfect example. He says the IRS will not fine people for refusing to have health insurance! Either he hasn't read the bill, or he's purposely misleading the public! Which is it????

Take two valiums, Doug.

It's not a fine. It's a tax, that goes into the Uncompensated Care Fund. Weiner spoke correctly. I haven't seen the quote, so I can't tell if he failed to explain how the actual legal mechanism works.

You are required to purchase insurance, If you don't you are charged a tax - not a fine. And yes, you can get in trouble if you don't pay taxes. It's one of the powers vested in Congress by the Constitution.

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So let me get this straight. You have to pay a tax to compensate the insurance companies for having to use the money we pay them,Huh?

2. Sab Oh profile image57
        Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"It's not a fine. It's a tax"

No, it's a fine. A speeding ticket isn't a 'go too fast tax.' A fine for littering isn't a 'filthy jerk tax.' If you drive the speed limit you don't have to pay the fine, if you don't litter you don't have to pay the fine, and if you buy health insurance you don't have to pay the fine.  It's beyond silly semantics to spin an unconstitutional mandate.

habee,

I saw that interview also. Weiner didn't have anything to say except; please pass the mustard.

11. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I totally agree, Stephen!

Steven suggested that bills should be read before being passed.

I suggested that since the democrats wrote the bill, they KNEW what was in the bill.

So the question is, why didn't the Republicans read it?

1. Sab Oh profile image57

"I suggested that since the democrats wrote the bill, they KNEW what was in the bill."

That makes no sense. Obama didn't know what was in it, Pelosi didn't know. They don't write bills by putting all members of Congress in one room and agreeing on every word. At the time of the vote virtually no one had read the whole stinking mess.

How does it not make sense?  You have complained that republicans were not part of the process. Therefore the bill was entirely the product of the democrats. Only democrats voted for it. Onlly democrats wrote it. From whence comes the claim that the democrats didn't know.

If you are going to put words in the mouth of Obama or Pelosi, exact quotes and sources, please.

I didn't "complain," I pointed out the fact that Republicans were shut out of the process.

"From whence comes the claim that the democrats didn't know."

Keep reading. This has already been explained to you.

Both pelosi and obama offered weak, transparent evasions when questioned about the fact that they had not read it (no one had) but they didn't deny it.

No quote - no source.   Not true

Not my fault you're uninformed. Try paying attention to what is happening in the country sometime.

Doug,

John Conyers has said; how can you read the whole bill! I think he' still a Democrat.

1. profile image0
              PrettyPantherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There are people on these forums, including yourself and MikeNV, who repeatedly told us all what what would happen when the bill was passed (fines, jail, rationing of health care) yet they have not read the bill.

So, how do you know what's in it, Harvey?  Did you read it, or did you rely on someone else to tell you?

12. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Noooooooooo!!! You pass the bill first then you get the surprise, what the hell is wrong with you!

13. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

So, Mr. Deeds, if we support some parts of the law but not others, does that mean we can "kinda" read??

14. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

You're mincing words, Doug. The "tax" is a "fine." It's a punishment. And BTW, Doug, since you've read all these bills, I'm sure you're aware that in the original House version, people who did not pay the fine would go to jail. It was changed in the Senate bill.

15. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Exactly. One part is written by one group or committee, and another is composed by a different bunch.

16. MikeNV profile image68
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

And this just in:

"Fed up with waiting, President Barack Obama announced Saturday he would bypass a vacationing Senate and name 15 people to key administration jobs, wielding for the first time the blunt political tool known as the recess appointment."

Wait until the Senate goes on Vacation to make all your appointments.  That's some leadership.

Obama is a Fraud.  Can't get anything done.  Can't even bring his own party together.

He operates the slimeball Liar oops Laywer that he is... looking for every little loophole to weasel through his agenda.

Clinton looks like a Hero compared to Obama.  Clinton was not my guy but at least he know how to involve both parties... and persuade his how party.

Obama is destroying his own party because of his inexperience and inability to get people to work together.

The question doesn't just pertain to Health Care... it pertains to ANY Bill.

Bills are being voted on that are not being read.  These are laws people... laws you are FORCED to abide by.

Obama Lies:

"My administration is committed to creating an unprecedented level of openness in government."

WASHINGTON — One year into its promise of greater government transparency, the Obama administration is more often citing exceptions to the nation's open records law to withhold federal records even as the number of requests for information declines, according to a review by The Associated Press of agency audits about the Freedom of Information Act.

“Too often bills are rushed through Congress and to the president before the public has the opportunity to review them,” the Obama-Biden campaign website states. “As president, Obama will not sign any non-emergency bill without giving the American public an opportunity to review and comment on the White House website for five days.”

Obama signed the Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay Act only two days after it received final passage last week, and it wasn’t posted on the White House website until after it became law.

Pretty much the definition of a liar is one who lies.

And these are statements of fact as reported by the PRESS not the Republican party.

Mike,

If Obama spoke the truth he would stii be in JR College. He is the best liar I have ever seen.

17. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Yeah, what happened to that 5-day rule?? and what about the CSpan coverage??

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Habee(Hi!) look woman you're trying to make sense again, whats wrong with you?big_smile

18. alexandriaruthk profile image70
    alexandriaruthkposted 14 years ago

no way, they gotta do what they need to do,

19. Doug Hughes profile image60
    Doug Hughesposted 14 years ago

MikeNV - Your rant ignnores and denies facts in evidence.

Regarding the appointments, President Obama said -

"Most of the men and women whose appointments I am announcing today were approved by Senate committees months ago, yet still await a vote of the Senate. At a time of economic emergency, two top appointees to the Department of Treasury have been held up for nearly six months. I simply cannot allow partisan politics to stand in the way of the basic functioning of government."

He's running the country despite the efforts of the party of NO.

"Obama is a Fraud.  Can't get anything done.  Can't even bring his own party together."

I know it's only been a week but - did you hear the most significant piece of social legislation in 40 years was PASSED by democrats ONLY and was signed into law this week by President Obama.

The Fair PAY Act was opposed by Republicans (surprise, surprise) and has been available online for months. If it wasn't posted on the  WH web site, you are picking at nits. There was no secrecy or evasion. Democrats support fair pay for women. Republicans don't -

The overt sexism of the republicans was on display last year in the Senate. 

http://www.alternet.org/blogs/healthwel … gang_rape/

Offering Ms. Jones legal relief was Senator Al Franken of Minnesota who offered an amendment to the 2010 Defense Appropriations bill that would withhold defense contracts from companies like KBR "if they restrict their employees from taking workplace sexual assault, battery and discrimination cases to court."

Incredible but true - thirty Republican Senators voted in favor of the gang rape of an American working in Iraq who could not sue the co-workers who got away with it because they were shielded by the employment contract. The republicans voted in favor of company-sponsored rape.

Your outrage about democrats making progress in promoting equal pay and equal protection under the law against the best efforts of the knuckle-dragging  GOP neanderthals in the Senate rings hollow.

Doug,

You faithful Democrat. Mike is trying to help teach you, but a good Democrat doesn't listen.

Obama always waits for Congress to be out of town, or he goes out of the country to apologize.

What are you gong to say about how much the people love what Obama is doing in November?

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've noticed that the self-styled Democrats on here all seem to be having the same reaction to comments from the "other side".  It's almost like a Pavlovian response: "hear something critical of Obama's policies, put hands over ears and go lalala", and/or "throw out some disparaging remarks and ad hominems rather than addressing the meat of what anyone's got to say".

Had it not occurred to you that at least some of the "other side's" points might have merit, and it's worth at least trying to examine your own position to see if it holds water?

I noticed a similar thing going the other way, when I was participating in Internet forums during the run-up to the Iraq war in 2002/2003.  Only the difference was that among all the insults, at least some of the pro-war Republican people were actually prepared to have a proper debate with me.

20. Sab Oh profile image57
    Sab Ohposted 14 years ago

We're gonna need ten years do undo the damage this fool does to our country in his four years.

21. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 14 years ago

MikeNV wrote:

Or should they just be voted on and made into law and "fixed" later.

Maybe this is the new Government Paradigm.

Make laws that only a select few are privy too... then just fix them later.

That's an interesting plan.

Mike, your entire premise is just silliness.  First, it isn't new, and you know that, yet you say it is.

Second, do you honestly believe that every legislator has time to read every single word of every single bill that they vote on?  They have staff who are responsible for that.  Just like a CEO of corporation doesn't read every document that his company produces, neither does a legislator read every word of every bill that he or she votes on.  There simply isn't enough time.  They should, however, understand the ramifications of all of the provisions before voting.

Now, if you want to paint that as some evil conspiracy, you go right ahead, but you make yourself and others who buy into it look pretty silly.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)