How much of a role does our past play in the present?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)
  1. lifedeferred profile image61
    lifedeferredposted 14 years ago

I was wondering how much of who we are is self-determined and how much is molded by our past or "up-bringing".  Not so much the nature/nurture argument but the freedom to make life choices without the bias of our past experience. For example, according to my father, everything he is, is due to some past connection. His drinking, his depression, his temper, the way we were raised...on and on. I know a bit about my gradparents, so this is a justifiable claim. However when I think about my past, I feel I use it as a way to avoid those behaviors. I saw people drinking so I didn't. I was spanked to excess, so I don't spank my son. I think we all have the power to use our past either as an excuse or as a tool for positive develpoment. Can a person not decide things for themselves? Or maybe I am just as effected as my father?

1. Sally's Trove profile image77
      Sally's Troveposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The beauty of the human mind is that it can ask the questions you asked and then go on to seek answers; if the answers can't be found, then an invention may take their place.

I believe we are ruled to some degree by fate, yet at the same time, we are obligated to use our minds, our free will, to do whatever it is we have to do in this life.

It's a balance. I react to my upbringing and can never be sure of how it rules the me today. But I can ponder these thoughts and make choices.

2. SparklingJewel profile image64
    SparklingJewelposted 14 years ago

who we are is is because of everything, to some degree...our family members, our genetics, our environment (nature and nurture and natural surroundings), our friends, our social circles,
    our church or lack thereof, our pets affect us too...our traumas and victories, our education, and on and on... there is so much in our sub and un conscious to get worked out...

3. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

How your life is affected by your past is determined by (omg, I don't know what to say here lol) many different factors. (?)

Your personality, your perceptions, your experiences, your parents influence, your parents parenting style, teachers, friends, and on and on. 

You do have a choice, but, there are times when it seems you are making the 'best' or 'right' choice when in actuality you aren't.

Good question!!

4. Obscure Divine profile image60
    Obscure Divineposted 14 years ago

It depends on your current level of awareness...

1. SparklingJewel profile image64
      SparklingJewelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes, and some issues don't come up until later in life or until we go digging...all things affect us, but yes, we do have choice, once it becomes conscious to some degree how we let it affect us

1. Obscure Divine profile image60
        Obscure Divineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Once you reach a certain level of awareness, the effect is no longer the same, but we seem to still have the ability to change & adapt - even if less influenced by what is behind us.

5. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

Very interesting question!!!!!

Hmmm, my extended family was very, very close growing up where I did. In turn, I am extremely connected to family and protective of my family members. (Even cousins, 2nd, and 3rd cousins)
    And growing up in such a small rural community where everyone knew each other well...I can say I feel connected to those people also. 
    Even with the "everybody knows your business" atmosphere, I still would not trade that upbringing. Somehow that has helped me to feel self-assured I can overcome anything that comes my way. Growing up this way I guess makes me know that I can always fall back if needed on someone from the past and I would do the same for them.
    It's kinda hard to explain I guess in words online.

6. profile image0
    pinkyleeposted 14 years ago

i know my past has a huge part to do with who i am why i am the way i am ... people say to let the past be the bast but i fully believe the past is what makes us who we are now and will be because without the past how can we have a future to correct things, do things, or just live? just my opinion

1. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly!  you can't have a future without a past, but your future is not determined by your past it's only influenced by it to a certain degree and can be altered if you choose.

7. SparklingJewel profile image64
    SparklingJewelposted 14 years ago

Yep, life does have a purpose...learn from your experiences :)even if its simply to not do that particular thing again smile

8. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

I think that the past has everything to do with who you are and your future decisions. It is only controlling to a degree.Not really controlling but limiting.Such as education, a cripling accident etc.
      You still have free will to decide to spank or not to spank your kids but whatever your decision, it is still affected by your past, conciously and unconciously.
       Everything is relative.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)