Do you dwell on the past and why?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (20 posts)
  1. rajan jolly profile image94
    rajan jollyposted 12 years ago

Do you dwell on the past and why?

2. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

No, I never found a need to dwell on the past. I have had spiritual counseling which addressed the past, though. And this has freed up a great deal of hidden attention on the past, allowing the spiritual true self to wrestle with its eternal slumber. Some day, perhaps I will awaken fully.

3. Jackie Lynnley profile image86
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 12 years ago

I use to but now I do not. I think of loved ones in the past but I do not dwell on it, just some happy thoughts now and then.

4. LawrenceS profile image65
    LawrenceSposted 12 years ago

No, because it is the past and I don't want to live my life saying that only if I would of, maybe I should of, only if could of done this or that. I remember my past, and remember the lessons that I learned and try to employ these lessons now to further myself so that I can have a better future.

5. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 12 years ago

I don't dwell on the past but instead learn from it so that my children will not do the same mistakes and improve ourselves further in life.

It is always good to know your past and making it a life lesson for the future.

6. lucybell21 profile image67
    lucybell21posted 12 years ago

I can't really say that I dwell on the past, more like ponder what is in the past. I want to make sure that I don't make the mistakes I had made. I do however like to think about all the good things that have happened in the past. I also want to keep things fresh in my mind, so when I am old and the grandkids ask me questions I can answer them.

7. donnaisabella profile image72
    donnaisabellaposted 12 years ago

I would rather leave the past alone. I used to be a person that was never bothered much about the present because I would have all the time later on to reflect on it. By the time I was doing that, it was the past and oh what anguish I would suffer to get to terms with the present because of unresolved past issues. In teaching me forgiveness, God has been teaching me how to let go of the past especially of things that do not build or edify. I leave the past alone unless it will help tomorrow or today!

8. athena2011 profile image58
    athena2011posted 12 years ago

Definitely not. I spend my time focusing on the present day and trying to make it a great day. The past is something I have learned from but I do not allow myself to dwell on it as I see that as a waste of time.

9. algarveview profile image74
    algarveviewposted 12 years ago

I think I do, a bit. Having said that, I know perfectly well that's not good, so usually I try to focus on the present and future. The reason why I sometimes dwell in the past is because of matters that in my view are unresolved or don't have the closure that I need to move on.

10. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 12 years ago

I don't dwell on it but I've made it easily accessible on purpose.  It resides at the for front of my dome NeveR to forget so that I won't go back in time to entertain certain people or make the dreadful mistakes that placed that experience in that box, whether or not I had "control" over the situation.

11. WD Curry 111 profile image58
    WD Curry 111posted 12 years ago

Not usually. Sometimes I think back to when I left the Naval Academy. I blew off a desirable career as a liaison officer. The reason why? I would be retired with full benefits, and participating in the Kava ceremony in Fiji while waiting for the waves to get better instead of answering this question by Rajan Jolly!

12. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

No.  I used to and it just caused me pain and discomfort.  Rethinking old scenarios, how I should have acted, how I did act.  I try very hard to stay in the present.  I do enjoy memories of raising my kids but further back - no thank you.

13. xethonxq profile image65
    xethonxqposted 12 years ago

I rarely dwell on the past...I just don't have the time or energy for it. I think the other reason is I can't change a damn thing about it so why bother dwelling?

14. colpolbear profile image90
    colpolbearposted 12 years ago

I dwell like it's nobody's business.  Of course I can get over things, but focusing on my mistakes is part of what makes me human.  I try not to dwell so much as reflect and regret, but they often go hand in hand.  DO not confuse dwelling with regretting.  Regretting is a good thing.  Dwelling is a bad thing.  Through regret, we learn.  Through dwelling (at least too much) we are unproductive and ultimately miserable.

15. reikieffect profile image61
    reikieffectposted 12 years ago

I used to long for the good old days, but no more. Every step of the way brings learning and focusing too much in the past won't let us advance.

16. yui lockhart profile image60
    yui lockhartposted 12 years ago

No! because it will only leave me stagnant and not moving on with my life. Of course one must learn from the past to live your present life well and that you can have a fantastic future ahead of you, but this is not an excuse to bug yourself with the situations happened in the past.

17. profile image0
    slightlyjadedposted 12 years ago

I don't want to dwell on the past or the past mistakes that I have made, but it seems that others like to bring up past events. I'm not sure what their reasoning is in doing it, but it hurts me.

18. Scott Stephenson profile image60
    Scott Stephensonposted 12 years ago

Yes, I have a nagging tendancy to dwell on the past because it was a time when life was more promising. I was young and therefore people were more forgiving of my mistakes. There was hope for a bright future. However as my knowledge of the world increased, so did my responsibilities, and peoples expectations of me. I didn't know how to adjust to these changes. I couldn't relate. I had more questions than I had answers too. And so I continued to make mistakes of which many thought by that time I should have learned to avoid. And so their graces towards me became much less and the promise of a bright future became difficult to invision. Depending on one's circumstances, it can be easier to invision the past then to invision the present and or the future. That's why we should invision the moment.

19. Infobrowser profile image75
    Infobrowserposted 12 years ago

I have dwelled on the past and worried about the future. From this I have learned that life is worth so much more.

The past is behind, learn from it. The future is ahead, prepare for it. The present is here, live it.

20. Capedium profile image72
    Capediumposted 12 years ago

People who dwell in the past are people who don't want to grow.. It is that simple for me, I don't dwell on my past.. I pick the lesson and enrich my present

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)