jump to last post 1-20 of 20 discussions (20 posts)

Do you dwell on the past and why?

1. rajan jolly profile image89
    rajan jollyposted 6 years ago

Do you dwell on the past and why?

2. lone77star profile image83
    lone77starposted 6 years ago

No, I never found a need to dwell on the past. I have had spiritual counseling which addressed the past, though. And this has freed up a great deal of hidden attention on the past, allowing the spiritual true self to wrestle with its eternal slumber. Some day, perhaps I will awaken fully.

3. Jackie Lynnley profile image90
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 6 years ago

I use to but now I do not. I think of loved ones in the past but I do not dwell on it, just some happy thoughts now and then.

4. LawrenceS profile image75
    LawrenceSposted 6 years ago

No, because it is the past and I don't want to live my life saying that only if I would of, maybe I should of, only if could of done this or that. I remember my past, and remember the lessons that I learned and try to employ these lessons now to further myself so that I can have a better future.

5. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 6 years ago

I don't dwell on the past but instead learn from it so that my children will not do the same mistakes and improve ourselves further in life.

It is always good to know your past and making it a life lesson for the future.

6. lucybell21 profile image80
    lucybell21posted 6 years ago

I can't really say that I dwell on the past, more like ponder what is in the past. I want to make sure that I don't make the mistakes I had made. I do however like to think about all the good things that have happened in the past. I also want to keep things fresh in my mind, so when I am old and the grandkids ask me questions I can answer them.

7. donnaisabella profile image79
    donnaisabellaposted 6 years ago

I would rather leave the past alone. I used to be a person that was never bothered much about the present because I would have all the time later on to reflect on it. By the time I was doing that, it was the past and oh what anguish I would suffer to get to terms with the present because of unresolved past issues. In teaching me forgiveness, God has been teaching me how to let go of the past especially of things that do not build or edify. I leave the past alone unless it will help tomorrow or today!

8. athena2011 profile image55
    athena2011posted 6 years ago

Definitely not. I spend my time focusing on the present day and trying to make it a great day. The past is something I have learned from but I do not allow myself to dwell on it as I see that as a waste of time.

9. algarveview profile image88
    algarveviewposted 6 years ago

I think I do, a bit. Having said that, I know perfectly well that's not good, so usually I try to focus on the present and future. The reason why I sometimes dwell in the past is because of matters that in my view are unresolved or don't have the closure that I need to move on.

10. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 6 years ago

I don't dwell on it but I've made it easily accessible on purpose.  It resides at the for front of my dome NeveR to forget so that I won't go back in time to entertain certain people or make the dreadful mistakes that placed that experience in that box, whether or not I had "control" over the situation.

11. WD Curry 111 profile image60
    WD Curry 111posted 6 years ago

Not usually. Sometimes I think back to when I left the Naval Academy. I blew off a desirable career as a liaison officer. The reason why? I would be retired with full benefits, and participating in the Kava ceremony in Fiji while waiting for the waves to get better instead of answering this question by Rajan Jolly!

12. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

No.  I used to and it just caused me pain and discomfort.  Rethinking old scenarios, how I should have acted, how I did act.  I try very hard to stay in the present.  I do enjoy memories of raising my kids but further back - no thank you.

13. xethonxq profile image62
    xethonxqposted 6 years ago

I rarely dwell on the past...I just don't have the time or energy for it. I think the other reason is I can't change a damn thing about it so why bother dwelling?

14. colpolbear profile image96
    colpolbearposted 6 years ago

I dwell like it's nobody's business.  Of course I can get over things, but focusing on my mistakes is part of what makes me human.  I try not to dwell so much as reflect and regret, but they often go hand in hand.  DO not confuse dwelling with regretting.  Regretting is a good thing.  Dwelling is a bad thing.  Through regret, we learn.  Through dwelling (at least too much) we are unproductive and ultimately miserable.

15. reikieffect profile image59
    reikieffectposted 6 years ago

I used to long for the good old days, but no more. Every step of the way brings learning and focusing too much in the past won't let us advance.

16. yui lockhart profile image61
    yui lockhartposted 6 years ago

No! because it will only leave me stagnant and not moving on with my life. Of course one must learn from the past to live your present life well and that you can have a fantastic future ahead of you, but this is not an excuse to bug yourself with the situations happened in the past.

17. slightlyjaded profile image74
    slightlyjadedposted 6 years ago

I don't want to dwell on the past or the past mistakes that I have made, but it seems that others like to bring up past events. I'm not sure what their reasoning is in doing it, but it hurts me.

18. Scott Stephenson profile image60
    Scott Stephensonposted 6 years ago

Yes, I have a nagging tendancy to dwell on the past because it was a time when life was more promising. I was young and therefore people were more forgiving of my mistakes. There was hope for a bright future. However as my knowledge of the world increased, so did my responsibilities, and peoples expectations of me. I didn't know how to adjust to these changes. I couldn't relate. I had more questions than I had answers too. And so I continued to make mistakes of which many thought by that time I should have learned to avoid. And so their graces towards me became much less and the promise of a bright future became difficult to invision. Depending on one's circumstances, it can be easier to invision the past then to invision the present and or the future. That's why we should invision the moment.

19. Infobrowser profile image73
    Infobrowserposted 6 years ago

I have dwelled on the past and worried about the future. From this I have learned that life is worth so much more.

The past is behind, learn from it. The future is ahead, prepare for it. The present is here, live it.

20. Capedium profile image75
    Capediumposted 6 years ago

People who dwell in the past are people who don't want to grow.. It is that simple for me, I don't dwell on my past.. I pick the lesson and enrich my present

working