jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

President to order pay freeze

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

By Max Cacas

When President Barack Obama addresses lawmakers and the nation in his first State of the Union address, he is expected to announce largely symbolic actions regarding the pay of White House officials, and the budgets of primarily domestic federal agencies. Both are designed to demonstrate White House concern about the burgeoning cost of government.

i think this is a good move...

1. Petra Vlah profile image60
      Petra Vlahposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If he starts with congress and White House emplyees, than it is a good move, but the cuts may affect police and firemen than it will do little to solve a budget that is out of control anyway. "Symbolic" cuts will not get us anywhere so Obama should look at what is bliding us dry - the wars we are engaged in

2. tobey100 profile image62
    tobey100posted 5 years ago

You got to look at it real close though.  He seems to be wording this very carefully in order to leave a few loopholes.  I've been working in government for 25 years and when they say no more raises, folks tend to get new titles, promotions, etc. with a corresponding raise in pay but the cry is always, "Hey, it wasn't a pay raise, it was a promotion."  We'll see.

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 5 years ago in reply to this

you're probably right about this...I think he should have done this early in his term though..nothing like setting an example.