jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Osama's Death and Social Media

1. jamieloftus8 profile image60
    jamieloftus8posted 5 years ago

What is everyone thinking of it? Are people reacting and forming definitive opinions because they truly feel that way, or because our media system moves so quickly that it's easy for one to fall behind? I've been wondering this since the news broke last night; nearly every single one of my Facebook friends felt obliged to at least acknowledge Osama's death via their profile, erupting into arguments and questions within minutes, as well as bloggers making sometimes snide, sometimes funny jokes about it. I know that America is a culture of overreaction: remember when we threw all the tea into the harbor? However, opinions and ideas are being exchanged at such a rate that it's hard to keep up. I actually just whipped a hub up about the social media buzz and the jokes already emerging, and I was just wondering how everyone else was feeling about it. Honestly, having already heard so many other opinions, it's becoming more and more difficult to form my own.

1. jjackson786 profile image90
      jjackson786posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think people are overreacting but because whereas this is a great victory, it is only so in relative terms. Personally, I believe that Osama represented such a huge portion of America's fear since 2011; however, what most Americans don't realize is is that Al Qaeda is a cell-based terrorist organization, which implies that it has several leaders posted in hidden locations around the world. Osama's death will simply activate another cell, and one that will probably be seeking revenge for their leader's death. I can only hope that we are not celebrating prematurely and that this event will not cause the violent deaths of the American soldiers still posted overseas.

Perhaps we should save the toasts for when our men and women finally come home!

1. HattieMattieMae profile image70
        HattieMattieMaeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree JJ you kill one of their most powerful leaders, their is always an aftermath! It probably stirred up some of them, and revenge is more of their mindset. They really didn't have any mercy on 9/11 what makes us think now that Osama is gone that it is any different!

2. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Yet another wasteful thread when 5 already exist on the topic. roll